1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Re-assembling Carbs

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by waldreps, May 27, 2016.

1. waldreps

waldreps Active Member

I have a quick question before I start putting my carbs back together. I know from reading the Church of Clean that I should put thread locking compound on the upper and lower rack bolts and the butterfly screws. It says to use anti-seize on all other bolts, screws, etc. Should I put anything on the jets, valve seat threads, choke plunger mount threads, pilot screw threads, fuel bowl drain screw? The term "all other" would make me think to put it everywhere, but I just want to make sure I don't put any anti-seize where it shouldn't be...don't want to mess anything up.

Thanks,
    Stacy

2. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Anything not mentioned in the article should be left dry.

3. chacal

chacal Moderator Moderator Supporting Vendor Premium Member

I would definitely use anti-seize on the bowl drains crew threads! And the pilot mixture screws, too.

Anti-seize won't hurt anything, just make SURE you don't get any excess where it can get drawn into a fuel passage. Less is more!!

4. waldreps

waldreps Active Member

Thanks guys!

5. waldreps

waldreps Active Member

Another question...when re-assembling my #2 carb, the throttle shaft seems to have a little play in it side-to-side. I have not attached the butterfly yet. It looks as if I should use another shim washer on one end or the other. Starting from the sync adjusting screw side, I've got a new shim washer, then the seal and on the nut end I've got the seal, new shim washer, sync bracket, lock washer, and nut. I can see that the sync bracket is bottomed out against the ridge in the shaft so pressing that tighter or tightening the nut tighter won't take up the slack. Should I add one of the old shim washers to take up the slack? How do I know which end it should go on cause the butterfly screws should be exactly centered in the carb body? Also, with the new seals, the throttle spring seems to be weak. Do they ever need to be replaced or maybe wind it around once?

Last edited: May 27, 2016