1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Rear luggage/top box rack for 550 (seca) - ideas?

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by a100man, Apr 9, 2016.

1. a100man

a100man Well-Known Member

Any one got any suggestions about this? 30 years ago you could stroll into an accessories shop and buy the right thing off the shelf - rather more obsolete now. So has anyone successfully fitted a a universal type or even made their own ?

Cheers

j

2. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

I have an EMGO top case munted to the Yamaha rack (see my gallery). It's an inexpensive case, and has served me well for seven years. While not touted as being waterproof, the only time I've had water intrusion is when I parked too close to a pop-up sprinkler head. Torrential downpours at speed have resulted in completely dry cargo.
    Hepco & Becker still makes Luggage racks, and luggage, for the entire XJ range, though they cost a bit. Ventura luggage makes a small rack for their backpack system, but I have seen it adapted to mount a case. And as always, Ebay has used racks for occasionally reasonable prices. If you do a search you'll probably come across racks that have been adapted, including a full lugge rack and set from a Ducati ST2 (though that was adapted to a XJ750).

3. a100man

a100man Well-Known Member

Good info - thanks K.

4. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member