1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Rear Shocks on a 84 SECA 750

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by RICKTOR, Aug 20, 2018.

Tags:
  1. RICKTOR

RICKTOR New Member

Hey guys I am having a bit of trouble with my rear shocks. During this bikes long sit I guess the oil leaked out and no I need to service them... Is there a rebuild kit for these or a way to replenish the fluid.

2. Toomanybikes

Toomanybikes Well-Known Member

They are a sealed shock. My shocks are toast as well, just a spring with no dampening left. Rear end bounces around in bumpy turns. Replace. @chacal has a new set of oem ones big$$. Icon(Koni) makes a similar replacement but quite pricey as well.

3. Jetfixer

Jetfixer Well-Known Member

EMGO is an alternative about 100$ on eBay 325mm from center to center is measurement they give.

4. Toomanybikes

Toomanybikes Well-Known Member

But are they any good ? Have Progressive ones on my xj650rjc and pretty good in the fast bumpy turns. I want a decent shock with piggyback to match the oem ones

5. RICKTOR

RICKTOR New Member

Can you provide a link?

6. Jetfixer

Go to eBay put in XJ rear shocks just looked at them 129$ was buy it price. Be cautious of the shocks with the reservoir look cool , but have read some have had problems with leaks , these were on eBay from Australlia .

7. RICKTOR

RICKTOR New Member

cool but I can't think they would last to long for 150$

8. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Cost doesn't often have much to do with longevity. A simple damper-rod shock is cheap to make to a relatively high standard.

The cheap 'cool looking' shocks from China sell in Asian markets for about 1/4 of what they sell for in the U.S., and they are total crap. We get gouged on them because they are still about the cheapest shock we can get.

EMGO makes good stuff (they are an OEM supplier to many well-known brands of motorcycle). I wouldn't hesitate to fit a pair of their shocks if I were on a budget, and I'd expect to get as much use from them as the stock shocks.

Having said that, you can get much better shocks for about $150 more per pair.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2018
  9. Jetfixer

Hagon makes a good shock but are $$$$ I just ordered a set of EMGO shocks for my seca bought other of their products for other bikes with good results.

10. Bluegray57

Bluegray57 Active Member

11. Minimutly

Minimutly Well-Known Member

The good looking set of konis I bought turned up from Germany, stripped the springs off them to test them - one of them was kaput, only working half its length. Waiting for a reply from the seller. Itay be it just needs a seal and some oil, we'll see?

12. RICKTOR

RICKTOR New Member

Ok thanks guys you have given lots to think about

13. Jetfixer

Started installing the EMGO shocks got one mounted they look great ran out of time I have the factory saddle bag brackets a little harder . Can't wait till I can ride to see if handling is any different.

Bluegray57 likes this.
  14. Bluegray57

Bluegray57 Active Member

looking forward to your report

15. RICKTOR

RICKTOR New Member

OK so I have a 1984 SECA 750 RL which is a 750 in a 900 frame. The shocks I'm looking at say the need a travel limiter. I'm confused a little as to why. Are the shocks all 325 from eye to eye or are mine different? My stock ones also have the reservoir on them will switching cause a problem. Here is some pics of my progress so far. Have a look and tell me what you think?
    https://ibb.co/iF5Gxe

https://ibb.co/dSGH3K

16. RICKTOR

RICKTOR New Member

17. Jetfixer

Whoo finished installing the EMGO shocks it was drizzling so didn't take out far but already can tell feels much firmer and looks like one of my old shocks leaked st some point so this was a good investment . Only thing is shocks did not come with directions , but was easy enough to figure out. I paid 89$ so this was money well spent.

Attached Files:

18. RICKTOR

RICKTOR New Member

Great... I think I am going to pull the trigger on these as well. But first can anyone tell me if all the bikes including my 1984 SECA 750 RL which is a 750 in a 900 frame have 325 mm eye to eye. The shocks I'm looking at say they need a travel limiter. I'm confused a little as to why. Are the shocks all 325 from eye to eye or are mine different?

19. Praxeus

Praxeus Member

Jetfixer, can you tell me what you did with the white plastic spacer thing in the coils? Is it there for some preload? I am not talking about adjustment with the spanning tool. I’ve got the Emgo shocks installed and I am curious if I’m supposed to take some pliers and rip em out lol.

Attached Files:

20. Jetfixer

Never figured it out left it in place , might be a shipping thing not sure, but these shock feel much firmer than the original , I did not change setting , but I'm pretty happy with them .

Praxeus likes this.