1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Rebuilding my xj750 In my 82 Seca

Discussion in 'XJ DIY How-To Instructions' started by nothinbutjets, Jul 5, 2021.

1. nothinbutjets

nothinbutjets New Member

Alright so im giving up on trying to replace the starter clutch springs and rollers thru behind the alternator. I couldnt get the rotor off so I am just going to split the case. Probably better off doing it this way anyways, so I can see if there is any kind of debris from the starter slipping (from the starter clutch gear to the starter gear). I will let you guys kno when I officially start tearing the motor down because at this point im gunna just go ahead a dismantle it and inspect everything. So here comes all my questions. What do I need to worry about when it comes to timing and the correct orientation for the cam and crank gears and the chain being replaced and all tht? Ill make it simple what do I really need to worry about when tearing this thing down in respects to age, the way the motor works etc etc. Im just looking for as much accurate and correct info as I can get before I start so I am confident in pulling it apart and being able to piece it back together. What should I adjust, tweak for maximum efficiency and performance. im gunna go ahead and get what i need for a few oil changes and a tune up as well. Gunna run some sea foam and just really get in there and refurbish the motor nice. Might as well do it the right way right? I will post progress pics, issues I run into throughout this process as well so Hopefully we can all learn and share info together. Im going to be fixing a dent in my tank with some bondo and also stripping the frame down since the motor is getting pulled for sure now so hopefully you guys can enjoy sticking with me throughout the restoration process. Also unrelated to my post topic but why cant I respond to my own thread? Doesnt that kind if defeat the purpose? Everytime I try to thank someone or reply it says something along the lines of me trying to post spam or something im not doing so please help admins and mods. Thanks in advanced.
    -Nothinbutjets
    p.s. heres pics of that damn rotor im referring to so yall kno what im talkin about. And the other work im doing on it so far. just pulled carbs and doin some cleaning so far. And the clutch case panel is off bc it wont go into 4th or 5th so i was gunna sneak a peak in there but havnt got to it yet. tht rotor has been a nightmare as im sure you can tell. I tried all the recommended methods to pull it.

IMG_20210625_214354791.jpg IMG_20210625_214334913.jpg

Attached Files:

2. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

Len sells the rotor removal tool. Contact him on info@xj4ever.com
    The rotor is on a taper so it is better to have the correct tool to remove it without causing damage.
    Do you have a Haynes manual for your bike?
    Replace the starter clutch rollers and springs, the starter/alternator chain guide and check the oil spray nozzle when you are in there.
    Check the cam chain and starter/alternator chain too. I had to replace both although the latter usually does not need replaced.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2021
  3. nothinbutjets

nothinbutjets New Member

Ok I will make a note of this and yea I need to get a manual as well. Just messaged him about the tool.