1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Removing the Exhaust System on 81 Maxim 650

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by eman1974, Nov 23, 2009.

1. eman1974

eman1974 Member

OK, here's another question for all the Noobs out there who are afraid to ask.

I'm trying to remove my entire exhaust system so I can clean, repair and paint it.

I can't for the life of me find where the damn thing is actually mounted to the frame. The parts diagram I have isn't much help (see attached).

Is #14,15,16 referring a mount point, and is this the only one? (I didn' to have access to this diagram while I'm at my bike).

Attached Files:

2. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

On your bike I believe you are correct. The mufflers mount to the sideplates (#14, 15, 16 X2) and the headpipes bolt to the motor at the front of the head, and that's it.

To remove the exhaust, you may need to at least loosen the clamps where the headpipes meet the muffler/collector part; you probably won't be able to "drop" it as one unit unless you get it all loosened up first.

3. danno

danno Member

If I remember correctly,there is also a bolt that goes through the crossover chamber and in to the engine block. If you have a mirror to put under the bike,it will help you find the bolt.

4. bigfitz52

this bike doesn't have the collector "chamber" (box) just a crossover pipe.

I don't think there's any sort of mount other than what I described.

5. Altus

Altus Active Member

Fitz (& the OP eman) are correct. Stock exhaust only mounts are the 8 nuts on the exhaust manifold, then those two bolts holding the mufflers up.

6. eman1974

eman1974 Member

Got it off -yep, just the two bolt and the header nuts.

I should have remained ignorant as to the state of the exhaust. Looks like need to repalce everything but the headers. The Mufflers are full of holes and there are patches underneath which are nowcracking, and the crossover pipe is soo rusted, and had previously been wrapped and strapped - it fell apart when I took the system off.

Good thing I have all winter. ...

Thanks for the help.

7. danno

danno Member

Right you are! I must have confused the XJ650 exhaust system with that of one of my other bikes. Sorry for the misinformation.

8. wamaxim

wamaxim Active Member

Now you need to locate a new exhaust system! Some of the members have gone 4 into 1 and might have spare parts laying around so you might score there. Some have chopped off their beautiful "cones of silence" and substituted stock Harley mufflers for the YammerHammer exhaust. Search on Harley Muffler for parts, info, and photos. Good stuff!

Be careful of trying to convert to 4 into 1. The XJ Gods claim that the tuning problems will make your hair out!

Loren

9. iwingameover

iwingameover Active Member

Mine has a 4 into 1. It did when i got it. I recently put a harley muffler on it because my muffler fell off on the highway. It's a nice sound I think.

10. eman1974

eman1974 Member

Ya, I was looking at substituting Harley or somthing else. But I need the entire exhaust replaced (headers are salvageable), so it would probably be over my abilities. If it was just a case cutting off the mufflers and subsituting, I might try. But I have to go from the headers all the way back (ie, replace the crossover, collector and mufflers).

11. iwingameover

You could run open headers! it's been done on here. I had mine like that for a 40 mile ride (home after the muffler fell off) almost made me want to keep it that way.

12. eman1974

eman1974 Member

Nah, I don't want a loud bike. Like someone else on here said, I need to sneak out at 5am without waking the kids/neighbours dog, etc.

13. Altus

Altus Active Member

I've never dealt with them, but check these guys out - they seem to have a selection of exhaust systems from MAC for our bikes still:
    Motorcycle Pro Shop

Only problem is they don't ship outside of the USA, so you'll need someone to take delivery for you.

Those prices are pretty good actually - you can look around locally but I doubt you'll find anyone who'll have anything.

14. eman1974

eman1974 Member

15. streetmaster

streetmaster Member

?, would it make much of a difference in performance, or sound if one was to plug up, or take out the cross over pipe.

16. eman1974

eman1974 Member

Good Question, I''m interested in the answer to that one.

Essentially taking the 4 -2 and turning it into 2 x 2-1s.

17. iwingameover

I'll let you know in a month or two. I hope not. I plan to do that.

18. bigfitz52

There are a number of 4-2 systems out there that would not affect tuning as much as a full 4-1 might.

Quite often changes to ONLY the exhaust system don't affect tuning as much as changes to the intake/airbox; with a 4-2 you might get away with just adjusting.

19. eman1974

eman1974 Member

Rather than remove/plug/patch the crossover, and patch the mufflers in my 4-2. I think I might bite the bullet and pick up a new MAC exhaust. A little pricey - $450 shipped, but I like the look of the turnouts.

20. bigfitz52

Or find a decent "pre-owned" system on eBay and play mix-n-match.