1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Replace master cylinder for new handlebars??

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by Iamwayno, Jun 1, 2015.

1. Iamwayno

Iamwayno Member

I got an 81 maxim 550. I got stock handlebars. Ordering some euro style drags. I'm thinking I can just take the grips, throttle tube, switches, master cyclist, etc. and just mount them on the new bars. Am I wrong in thinking that? What should I know first?

My bike is the black one on the right.

Attached Files:

2. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

7/8# dia bars on 550 maxim are the new bars the same length?

3. Justinmatani

Justinmatani New Member

you might have to change your brake line. when I changed my bars I had to re-rout the clutch cable and throttle cable and I changed to a shorter brake line.

4. Iamwayno

Iamwayno Member

Yeah it's a 7/8 bar. Length is about the same. Maybe an inch difference. I'm gonna try and tuck and tie the cable in but if it doesn't work, I'll buy a shorter one.

5. Orange-n-Black

Orange-n-Black Well-Known Member

You may have a problem with the angle. Some models MC's mounted on a curve of the bars and had an angled mount, If you put them on a straight bar you'll have a problem being able to fill and check fluid. Couple of people found a new made in China replacement MC on Ebay that came in angled or straight mount. Just need to make sure your getting the same pressure, same size fittings and same number of output fittings for disc/disc's.

6. Ribo

Ribo Prefectionist

Austin Texas USA ( a long way from the UK )
    Yeah it's not THAT simple but it's not that hard either.

I put this on my XJ650 with drag-bars and it love it. Although i used a different res. just to keep everything black.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NISSIN-Moto...52B-/131481379535?hash=item1e9ce6a2cf&vxp=mtr

On the xj650 81 with the bullhorn bars the cables were way too long. You'll probably find the same thing as those bars are pretty high too. I ended up replacing the clutch and throttle cables and I found that for drag-bars the cables for the xj750 seca to be almost perfect length and new cables are a good idea anyway when the bike is this old.

Throttle - http://www.ebay.com/itm/16097411267...iewitem=&sspagename=ADME:L:OU:GB:3160&vxp=mtr
    Clutch - http://www.ebay.com/itm/36073565493...iewitem=&sspagename=ADME:L:OU:GB:3160&vxp=mtr

Not saying these will work perfectly for the 550 though, you'll need to measure.

You'll need a short brake line too as justin said but as you're replacing the M/C getting new brake line and banjo's is just a no-brainer.

I recommend getting the bars, putting everything on and then measuring with string, making sure you route things correctly and allow for some slack for turning and smooth angles. When you get the new cables don't forget to lube them before putting them on like I did :).

7. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

If he goes to flatter bars he should swap the master cylinder for one from a Seca.

8. Iamwayno

Iamwayno Member

9. Ribo

Ribo Prefectionist

This is a bit confusing - it says 5/8 bore size but then also 16mm. I thought the 550 was 14mm but I could be wrong.

Also, I know the nissin one is pricey but when it comes to front brake I think you really get what you pay for. If there's one thing on the bike you invest money in it should be the front brake - it's your life. Sorry i don't want to be dramatic but this one just kinda looks cheep and the low price really makes me suspect. I personally wouldn't trust it.

10. jayrodoh

jayrodoh YimYam Premium Member

I went with a Seca MC on my Maxim. Had the right angle for the euro bars and says Yamaha on it too.

11. Iamwayno

Iamwayno Member

what year seca?

12. chacal

chacal Moderator Moderator Supporting Vendor Premium Member

The 550 Maxim and 550 Seca both use the same stock handlebars and same master cylinders, which is a 12.6mm (1/2") bore "flat" style m/c. It will work fine on all XJ550's using replacement Euro bars, drag bars, etc. He will need a shorter upper brake line, and probably shorter clutch, throttle, and choke cables.

XJ650 Maxim, XJ750 Maxim, and XJ1100 models all used really radical, curvey, "roto-tiller" stock handlebars, and because the original m/c mounted on the "downward curvey" part of the bars, Yamaha compensated for the angle that the reservoir sat at by making the whole m/c assembly "tilted" in relation to its mounting on the bars (those that have these bikes know what I'm talking about; those that don't might find it hard to understand until you compare a m/c from one of those models to you own "flat" handlebars style m/c).

Thus only the XJ650 Maxim, XJ750 Maxim, and XJ1100 models require a change to the "flat" style m/c when changing original handlebars to a flat style bar.

ALL ABOUT MASTER CYLINDERS:

M/C piston bore ID's:

12.70mm (.5000", 1/2"):
    XJ550 all Norte Americano
    XJ750RL rear
    XJ900 rear

14.00mm (.5512"):
    XJ650 Maxim and Midnight Maxim
    XJ1100 front

15.87mm (.6248", 5/8"):
    XJ550 rest-of-the-world
    XJ550 Police (24J)
    XJ650RJ Seca
    XJ650 Turbo
    XJ650 H/J/K rest-of-the-world
    XJ650 Police (36G) (used 650 Turbo m/c with 750 Seca calipers, rotors, wheels)
    XJ700 all
    XJ750-X
    XJ750 M/MM
    XJ750RL
    XJ750 Police (24L, 33V, 39Y) (used 650 Turbo m/c with 750 Seca calipers, rotors, wheels)
    XJ750 Police (37H) (used 650 Turbo m/c, calipers, rotors, and wheels)
    XJ900RK/900RL front
    XJ900 Police front (models 33F/53M)

17.50mm (.6875", 11/16"):
    XJ750 Seca
    XJ750 rest-of-the-world "seca style"

19.06mm (.7500" 3/4"):
    XJ1100 rear

NOTE: before ordering your master cylinder rebuild parts, please take a moment to inspect and confirm that your bike does indeed have a factory original (for your model) master cylinder on it. After all these years….and so many previous owners…...there’s no telling what’s resting up there on your handlebars, and since rebuild parts are quite specific designed to work only with a particular style master cylinder ----- well, it’s best to be safe than sorry!

So here are the clues for original master cylinder identification:

XJ550 all North American models: the cylinder body will have the size 1/2 and the word NISSIN cast into it along the larger rear facing side of the cylinder body. Original (1981-83) cylinders will have the word NISSIN in all capital, block-style letters, while later “replacement” cylinders will have the word NISSIN appear as a stylized semi-script, with the two “s” letters layered on top of each other. Both types will accept all of the parts that we have listed below as fitting original master cylinders.

XJ550 non-North American models (dual-disc bikes): the cylinder body will have the word NISSIN cast into it along the larger rear facing side of the cylinder body, and have the size 5/8 cast into the forward face of the cylinder body just to the left of the fluid outlet port (where the brake line attaches).

FJ600 and XJ900 F, N, and FN models: the cylinder body will have the size 5/8 cast into large front face side of the cylinder body just above the fluid outlet port (where the brake line attaches), and the manufacturer name does not appear anywhere on the cylinder body.

XJ600 Seca II models: the cylinder body will have the size 14 (meaning a 14mm bore) cast into large front face side of the cylinder body, and the manufacturer name does not appear anywhere on the cylinder body.

XJ650 Maxim and Midnight Maxim North American models (single-disc): the cylinder body will have the size 14 (meaning a 14mm bore) and the word NISSIN cast into it along the rear face of the piston bore.

XJ650 non-North American (dual disc) models, XJ650RJ Seca, all XJ700, XJ750-X, XJ750RL, and XJ900RK and RL models: the cylinder body will have the word NISSIN cast into it along the larger rear facing side of the cylinder body, and have the size 5/8 cast into the forward face of the cylinder body just to the left of the fluid outlet port (where the brake line attaches).

XJ650 Turbo, 1982-83 XJ750 Maxim and Midnight Maxim, and all XJ750 Police models: the cylinder body will have the size 5/8 cast into it along the larger rear facing side of the cylinder body, and the word NISSIN does not appear anywhere on the cylinder body. The 1982 XJ750 Maxim cylinders have a small (1/4” diameter) hole in the base of the reservoir where the fluid level sensor wires exit the inside of the reservoir.

XJ1100 Maxim and Midnight Maxim models: the cylinder body will have the size 14 (meaning a 14mm bore) cast into it along the rear face of the piston bore, and the word NISSIN does not appear anywhere on the cylinder body. The bottom of the reservoir has a small (1/4” diameter) hole in where the fluid level sensor wires exit the inside of the reservoir.

If your master cylinder does not match the above descriptions, then we may not be able to assist you with rebuild parts for it…..there are an incredible number of both original and aftermarket master cylinders that were/are available, they all look somewhat the same, and they all may or may not accept nor function properly (or at all!) with component intended for use with the original master cylinder used on your bike!

13. MattiThundrrr

MattiThundrrr Not a guru

Hey, Len, is it just me, or is the 81-82 Seca 750 MC not on your identification list? All I can find is XJ750RL. Will that info apply to an 82? Pleas feel free to inslut me if I missed it!
    edit: That should say "insult me", but if you know how to "inslut me", let me know!

14. chacal

chacal Moderator Moderator Supporting Vendor Premium Member

Matti, you are quite correct, but the XJ750 Seca m/c is so unique that it's always been assumed (by me) that owners of those bikes need no help in determining whether they have the original m/c or not.........there Is no other headlight-bracket mounted m/c used on any other XJ series Yamaha's, and no other m/c that is similar is size, shape, nor appearance and fitment that someone may have "swapped" into its place. If an XJ750 Seca/Euro model has a headl-ght-bracket mounted m/c, you can pretty much be assured that it is the original, and the replacement parts that we offer (which was the whole "point" of having that ID list) will fit it.

15. MattiThundrrr

MattiThundrrr Not a guru

Ok. I knew that the 750 Seca part was pretty unique. I was hoping for a way to determine if it was gen-u-wine Yamaha equipment, or if it had been replaced with an aftermarket piece.
    Yaay! My bike is special!

16. Ribo

Ribo Prefectionist

Your bikes not the only one that's "special" :p

17. MattiThundrrr

MattiThundrrr Not a guru

Are you saying that your bike is special too, or are you implying something about me based on the helmet I wear on the bus?

18. Ribo

Ribo Prefectionist

I actually fell off my chair when I read this. This could be down to you or the 1/2 bottle of rum I just drank but certainly I was alluding to your very good self :) Don't get my wrong, I love the MSTSM but I ain't that vain - I am however very very drunk on a Tuesday - yay! :)

Rav3n likes this.
  19. Jmkrull

Jmkrull Member

Question in regard for changing master cylinder. They all have this two blade prong male connector instead of the snap in one that is on the stock harness. I've been looking for the cable/connector for this and the one that goes on the clutch side for that sensor (looks like a barrel type. Same two prong setup, but it looks like the connector must slide over the entire male part on the actual perch.). Does anyone know what these look like or where to find the pieces?

Thanks

20. Ribo

Ribo Prefectionist

Yeah, If I remember correctly the stock one has the switch built into the wire whereas all aftermarket ones are going to just have the standard two-prong connectors cos the switch is built into the unit.

I wasn't able to find a female plug that had that same spacing so I just re-terminates the stock harness with female blade connectors and just made them into my own little plug with some padding in between them - wrapped the whole thing in electrical tape and then shrink sleaved to make it look sexy. :)