1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Replacing the output shaft seal

Discussion in 'XJ DIY How-To Instructions' started by lostboy, Mar 5, 2017.

1. lostboy

lostboy Well-Known Member

This guestion gets asked often. The answer is yes and this is how I did it.

This is the seal we will be changing. 20170305_095831.jpg

First we remove the seal. Drill two holes in the seal. I used 1/8 drill bit with stop made with electrical tape. This is to keep the drill from going in to deep. 20170305_100255.jpg

Now install two #8 sheet metal screws into the holes we just drilled. Go in far enough to catch the seal. 20170305_100801.jpg Now use a pair of Vise grips on the head of the screw and pull. I only had to pull on just one of the screw to get the seal out. 20170305_100919.jpg

This is what you we see when the seal comes out. 20170305_101318.jpg

Clean the area where the seal sits and center shaft bushing. I would of liked to change the bushing but it is no longer available from Yamaha. Now it is time to install the new seal. Lightly oil the bushing. I used a piece of PVC tubing to knock in the seal. Now you done. I can only use five pictures per thead so more to come.

2. lostboy

lostboy Well-Known Member

Here is the PVC tube I used. 20170305_105546.jpg

I hope I did a good job here and help others. I am open to any questions and comments.

This is the part number of the seal 20170305_104058.jpg

3. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

You did good. My only recommendation is to wipe a very light smear of Locktite 638 to the outer diameter of the seal in order to make doubly sure that it stays in place (not required, but insurance is nice to have).
    If the bushing OD has a groove worn into it, it can be dressed/ polished with progressively finer finishing paper until it's smooth again so as to not damage the new seal. The seal is flexable enough to allow for some variation in the OD of the bushing.
    If the bushing wears enough it should be fairly easy for a machine shop (HS of College preferred for the cost and lerning opportunity) to make a few new ones.

Apparently I had more than one recommendation.