1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Replacing your starter motor brushes w/ pics

Discussion in 'XJ DIY How-To Instructions' started by tskaz, Mar 30, 2014.

1. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

could be the starter or solenoid or something farther up the line.
    PUT THE BIKE IN NEUTRAL. take the wire off the starter, put a battery charger on the starter, + to the stud - to the frame......no spin, the starter is the problem. spins....hook the wires back up and go to the solenoid. see two big bolts there with wires, short them together with a screwdriver......starter goes...... turn on the key, push the start button and listen to the solenoid, if it clicks but the starter doesn't spin like it did with the screwdriver then the solenoid is shot. if the solenoid doesn't click, theres wiring/contact problems.
    if this don't fix it start a new thread

2. neolithic

neolithic New Member

I'm having the same problem with my starter motor. Rebuilt it and then after some use it dies again. I am trying to find out the solution but so far so bad...

The solenoid clicks loud and clear. Bump starting is an option, but not a very good one.

BTW, the comutator is some what damaged. Scratches and a very small piece broken off one plate.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2015
  3. johnny77

johnny77 Member

Usually failed starter rebuilds are a commutator issue. Did you carefully clean it with emery paper just enough to remove high spots? Gasoline is still a bit aggressive on the vanish use on the starters winding's I wouldn't use anything stronger than kerosene or diesel. I'd pull the starter try it with jumper cables and a car battery. This is how I break them in and test them. 15 seconds on 2 minutes off at least 10 times before installing them it save so much headache if somethings not right. Hope this helps you and others.

Andrew Nichols likes this.
  4. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Start a thread. Pics help. If it's a copper peice that's broken off, then you need to find a used starter to rebuild; that one's toast.

5. johnny77

johnny77 Member

Side note I should not have even said kerosene as I dip the blow off parts immediately if I do not have a solvent free cleaner handy even kero or diesel can ruin the coatings in the starter if left on. I'll sheepishly back out now.

6. Ribo

Ribo Prefectionist

Austin Texas USA ( a long way from the UK )
    Thanks for the write-up dude - exactly what I needed - great help.

7. Bernie Everett

Bernie Everett New Member

I have just had my starter rebuilt, I fitted it today, starter turns over great but bike won't start, any suggestions? It's pretty frustrating any help will be appreciated. Cheers

8. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Start a new thread. There are dozens of things that could cause this condition. We need background info and a list of what you've checked so far.

9. mc1oo1

mc1oo1 Member

BTW

If you have issues with it starting just pull it back out and make sure everything's in place and correct. I thought I had screwed mine up but as it turns out during the rebuild I had not completely sealed and closed the thing up. Aftr another 15 minutes and a quick check the starter was back on and working perfectly.

Ray likes this.
  10. corey manshack

corey manshack Member

Sorry for necro, is there any way we can get all the images in these how-to threads back? I've tried looking at several threads here only to see the 'photobucket limit reached' image.

11. Paul Howells

Paul Howells Active Member

One of the replies has a PDF version of the tutorial with all the pictures.

12. jackb23548

jackb23548 New Member

Awesome write up, I rebuilt mine on my XJ650RJ yesterday and it worked perfectly when done. First time rebuilding one. Thanks for the detailed instructions. Love this site!

k-moe likes this.
  13. Andrew Nichols

Andrew Nichols Active Member

My 83 900 Seca had the clicking solenoid thing, battery was good, was in neutral, didn't turn over when I jumped the solenoid... I checked the connection in the side of the starter, I'd previously cleaned it and put dielectric grease on it but it was wet. Took off the nut and cleaned the connection with a wire brush and put it back together and the starter worked again! Turned out my fuel overflow tube was pointed right at it and that's why it was wet. I guess I over-primed the carbs. I moved the tube outlet. I hope this saves someone else from pulling their hair out.

Thank you for the great instructions on rebuilding the starter, I'll probably need it someday.