1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

restore yamaha xj750 e ii

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by iepaul, Oct 5, 2018.

1. iepaul

iepaul New Member

Hi,

I just purchased a yamaha xj750 e ii which has been off the road for a number of years and I am looking for information to help me restore this bike. It is basically all there and turning over but over the years there have been a few mods here and there. I am looking for the service manual and any close up photographs so I can see what it should look like, in particular around the handle bars, engine, and under the seat.

Paul.

SpearChucker likes this.
  2. Bushy

Bushy Active Member

From what I have found on the net yours is the same as XJ750 RL .. a 750 engine in a 900 frame, wheels and suspension. So looking up the RL model may be easier ?? Good luck with it.

3. fiveofakind

fiveofakind Well-Known Member

First off...what is the VIN number .....the first 3 number/letter will tell us what yr and bike we are dealing with.

4. iepaul

iepaul New Member

The first three letters of the vin are 29R, it has Japanese writing under the clocks so I assume it was imported from Japan to Ireland.

5. fiveofakind

fiveofakind Well-Known Member

MODEL NAME: XJ750E-II
    STREET NAME: 1983 XJ750
    MODEL ID CODE: 29R
    FRAME ID: 29R
    SERIAL NUMBER STARTS AT: 000101
    NOTE: this model had a slightly larger (by 1cc) 749cc engine with larger valves, hotter cams, and Hitachi HSC33 series carbs, all fitted into the XJ900 frame. Anti-dive front suspension, XJ900 style fairing and bodywork. VERY rare. Rumor has it that the engine cases in these bikes are stamped only with the model ID (29R-) and no serial number…

You have yourself a real gem here.........

6. DavidF

DavidF Member

Hi Paul
    I too have not long acquired an ‘83 XJ750-EII and now have it completely stripped down. It’s the rare 29R model with no engine number !! The frame has been powder coated, the tank cleaned and sealed and I’m busy cleaning/painting all other parts ready for re-assembly in the New Year.
    During disassembly, I took quite a few photos and videos so if you need any info I’ll try and help. My email is david@cadoganbs.co.uk and I’m in Surrey, England.

SpearChucker likes this.
  7. SpearChucker

SpearChucker Active Member

Sweet bikes gentlemen. The same as my 750RL except for the XJ900RK bikini fairing and the anti-dive forks. Mine will be undergoing some work as soon as it's warm enough to work in my shed. I have the manuals for mine, the main manual being an XJ900 service manual, accompanied by an XJ750RL supplement. I have no way of knowing but I would guess the manuals were the same for your bikes.

8. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

I don't believe that the '83 xj750-eII is the same as the '84 xj750rl. Somewhere along the long way, someone got something crossed up here.

9. iepaul

iepaul New Member

Thanks for the offer of help, my tank is full of rust so that is my first job I guess. It turns over but I would like to hear it start once before I disassemble it. This will be my first bike project so lots to learn. Did you get a service manual or parts catalogue, I've seen a few on online in japanese and I'm wondering if they are worth having.

10. DavidF

DavidF Member

E1A944DF-6C35-4D95-810D-50512C3BAECE.jpeg
    The re-assembly has commenced !

SpearChucker and chacal like this.
  11. DavidF

DavidF Member

I'm using a 1983 XJ900 manual for everything but the engine and a 1983 XJ750 manual for motor-related stuff. But most of all, during the tear-down I labelled everything or put stuff into labelled sandwich bags but most importantly, I took loads of photos and videos...….and these have been invaluable during the rebuild especially for the routing of loom, wires & cables.
    As I said before, I have loads of photos of I can be of help. I'm SW of London, England.

12. DavidF

DavidF Member

The build is nearing completion with the expectation that this very rare motorcycle will be on the market sometime in April......just right for the Spring/Summer.
    IMG_4880.JPG

13. iepaul

iepaul New Member

Very impressed with the quality of your work.