1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Rising Oil Level

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by waldreps, May 10, 2016.

1. waldreps

waldreps Active Member

Sorry this is so long...just wanted to be thorough. This spring I installed a spin-on oil filter kit on my 1982 XJ650 Maxim. In previous oil changes, 3 quarts which is 2838ml always got me to the exact level I needed so I did the same this time. I started the bike and let it run to circulate the oil around. I shut it off and waited 15 or 20 minutes and then checked the level. It was low so I added more until it was where it should be. I took it for a couple hour ride and then a day or two later, I checked the oil level. It was now too high totally covering the window. I just figured that the extra that I added must have been too much so I drained a little so it was once again where it needed to be. The bike then sat for several weeks while I got new tires installed and rebuilt the forks. Over that time, the oil level seemed to stay the same (maybe rising a tiny amount in my mind, maybe not), but I'm still paranoid from reading the forum about getting gas in my oil. My carbs aren't in the best shape so I wouldn't be surprised if the float levels are wrong or a float is stuck. I do know that my petcock does not leak. Yesterday, still being paranoid about gas in the oil, I started the bike and let it warm up. I then shut it off and took a pic of the oil level. I then took pics one hour later, two hours later, and then today. The oil level looked good and didn't change overnight. Well, this afternoon I took the bike for a short 10 or 15 minute ride just to see how the new tires and forks felt. After shutting it off and waiting for about 10 minutes, the oil level is now too high again and totally covering the window. I pulled the plugs and they look good...not wet and a good light tan color. I pulled the fuel hose off the petcock and it's not leaking at all. What keeps making my oil level rise? Can gas be getting in there while it's running? I tried to smell down in the clutch cover but I'm not sure if it's just oil I'm smelling or maybe a little bit of gas too. I know I probably just need to rebuild the carbs but I just put a bunch of money in the bike and was hoping to do the carbs in the fall. Any suggestions on my rising oil level and how it only seems to happen while I'm driving it?

Thanks,
    Stacy

2. Chance

Chance Member

Check the oil you removed from the bike, see if it has a gas smell, if so, then yes somehow gas is getting into your oil while running. This is not good if it is rising that much in 10 to 15 minutes. If you end up with to much in there you can blow your head gasket.

3. patmac6075

patmac6075 Active Member

My suggestion would be to drain the oil (not filter) and refill with some fresh oil. Examine the old oil for gas.....obviously something has to be making the level rise. If no gasoline in the oil....chalk it up to crazy Minnesota thing?!

waldreps likes this.
  4. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Float needles not sealing. Petcock likely needs rebuilt too (a slow leak may not be apparent, but will fill the crankcase over the course of a few hours). It's gas getting into the crankcase. Nothing else makes the oil level just rise on its own.
    Get your carbs into good shape and be done with the problem. Don't run the bike again until you do; bearing damage and/or big boom will otherwise result.

5. waldreps

waldreps Active Member

I just rebuilt the petcock and it doesn't leak a drop. I took the fuel hose off and let it sit for a while and no dripping whatsoever. After the first time it rose, I drained the extra out and then the bike sat for weeks without the oil level rising. It didn't even rise yesterday after just idling for 5 minutes or so. It only rises after I've ridden it for a while. Can gas get into the crankcase while it's running but not when it's just sitting? It's not flooding the cylinders cause the plugs would show it. They look pretty good and not the slightest bit wet. I also did a compression test a few weeks ago and the numbers looked pretty good. It doesn't make any sense to me.

6. Chance

Chance Member

I would say rings but your compression would be off then.

7. DrewUth

DrewUth Active Member

You're certain that the bike is parked the same each time you are checking it, i.e. sidestand/centerstand, flat ground, etc? Its easy to tell if there is gas in the oil- it will smell like gas. If it doesn't smell like gas, then you're jut being overly paranoid :)

waldreps likes this.
  8. tabaka45

tabaka45 Well-Known Member

With my bike I check the oil level every time in exactly the same place and on the center stand because the slightest tilt can really change the level, especially if it is normally showing only a small bubble at the top. I also find that if I check it after a ride when it is really hot the level will be a little higher than when when cold or after a three or four minute idle.

waldreps and DrewUth like this.
  9. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

put find the best place to check my oil at the gas station on the concrete pads.

when i change or add oil at home I put a level across the frame.

waldreps likes this.
  10. waldreps

waldreps Active Member

Yes, it's always on the centerstand and in the exact same spot in my garage. When I smell in the oil filler hole, it doesn't exactly smell like gas but it doesn't exactly smell like oil either so to me its hard to tell. All I know is that the level doesn't rise when just sitting in the garage even after weeks. It only rises after a ride. If I drain just a little to get my open spot at the top of the site window, the bike can then set for weeks or even be started and idle for a bit and the level never goes up. But, take it out for a ride and then give it a bit for the oil to drain back down and the level is too high with no open spot at the top. It doesn't make any sense to me. Could it have anything to do with the spin-on oil filter? I just don't want to spend the time and money on the carbs and then have it still do the same thing. I want to understand what's happening first.

11. Chance

Chance Member

Do an oil change and smell the oil in the drain pan, you won't necessarily smell gas in the oil through filler hole. This is the easiest way to check and an oil change will never hurt your motor.

waldreps likes this.
  12. waldreps

waldreps Active Member

I think I'll drain a little first into a clean container to bring my level back down. It didn't take much at all the first time I did it. I'll see if I can smell any gas in that. Should I be able to smell it in the little bit I drain or will I have to drain all of it since gas may just float on top?

13. XJ550H

how much oil do you drain out to bring it back to spec?
    I doubt it has to do with spin on filter. think about it, if filter was draining back into motor causing high state it would eventualy go away with you draining oil.
    and would work reverse of what you stated would go low on rides then fill when left alone in the garage for days.

3 quarts of oil is a bit too much by haynes manual all other xj650 2.65 quarts with filter
    xj650 (11N) and xj650RJ get 2.95 with filter not sure why an 82 seca gets more oil than a maxim
    maybe has an oil cooler

Last edited: May 11, 2016
    Chance likes this.
  14. Chance

Chance Member

IF you drain the oil and there is no gas in it, and it's clean, then just put it back in. if it's dirty or has gas in it you will want to change the oil anyway.It's just easier the more you have to sample.
    Spin on oil filter works the same way your original did, there is no difference,except instead of having multiple pieces to remove and replace you have one with all the pieces integrated.

waldreps likes this.
  15. tabaka45

Check in the same configuration and engine temp. If it's increasing then it has to be gas--at least in my opinion. Temp does matter.

If you look up the coefficient of cubic expansion of motor oil[​IMG], you will find that it's 0.00039/F. So, taking 60F as a baseline cold temperature and say 200F as the warm[​IMG] temperature, the difference in volumes between cold and warm reading is:

(200F-60F) x 0.00039/F = 0.0546

0.0546 x 4 quarts = 0.2184 quarts

If you know the range[​IMG] of 1 quart on the dipstick, the difference will be ~1/5th of that range, which is definitely noticeable.

1998 SW2 5spd 66k mi
    1999 C5 hardtop
    2007 Magnum SRT8

waldreps, XJ550H and Chance like this.
  16. Jetfixer

Jetfixer Well-Known Member

An easier way to adjust oil level go to Dollar tree get a turkey baster and a piece of vacuum hose put it on end of baster , and insert through oil filler squeeze bulb you will fill it up till your level drops to proper level . As a benefit to doing it this way drain oil from baster into clean container as long as oil does not smell like 87 octane . I changed to spin on oil filter too NO this will not cause your oil level to increase. Does sound like one or more of your carbs are draining into crank case it is the only thing I can see( unless Opec is pumping it in lol)

waldreps and Chance like this.
  17. tabaka45

Darn. hadn't thought abut OPEC! Maybe they have perfected expanding oil! :) Like your turkey baster idea.

18. XJ550H

i have tried this does not work on a 550 can't get the hose in far enough to hit oil

19. waldreps

waldreps Active Member

Maybe my bike is magic and causes the oil to multiply...lol. Maybe I'll start riding more and bottling the extra. Seriously though, I'll go out in a bit and drain some to see how much it takes to get back to the previous level and then go ahead and drain the whole thing and see if it smells of gas. I really appreciate all the help. If I hadn't just put so much money into the bike (new tires, new battery, starter rebuild, fusebox upgrade, fork rebuild, petcock rebuild, etc.) I would probably go ahead and order the parts and tools to rebuild the carbs. I just don't have the stomach to put a bunch more money into it right now until I can understand better what's happening with the oil level rising only after a ride and not after just sitting in the garage.

20. patmac6075

patmac6075 Active Member

As many have said before....the only logical thing it could be is gasoline in the oil, OR you put too much oil in initially. So unless you have a roommate who's a practical joker, the only think that it could be is gasoline.
    It could make sense that you have leaky float valves and when the engine is running there is excess gas spilling into your crankcase. So verify there is gas in your oil or call the US Energy Department and let them know your bike is producing excess oil. It could be worth your while (sorry...I couldn't help myself).
    If there IS gas in the oil....a carb and/or petcock rebuild is in order, if there is no gas in the oil you inadvertently put too much oil in to begin with.

waldreps likes this.