1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Rookie in need of help! xj650 Maxim

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by MaximusXJ650, May 21, 2019.

Tags:
  1. MaximusXJ650

MaximusXJ650 Member

Sooooo... I installed a battery today (bike didn't come with one) and noticed that the metal plate from solanoid to battery had snapped where the bolt would fasten ( see pic). I've crudely put a temporary fix in place for the time being but could someone let me know what the part is called so I can order another?

Also, i had the biking running on its main stand, and after a few minutes it just cut out on me. It started back up again but when I knocked it into first gear, it cut out again... any ideas?

I also noticed that the furthest left carb (#1) was leaking from the air box side (see second pic) which I found odd.

I appreciate any help! 20190521_200527.jpg 20190521_203316.jpg

2. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

3. MaximusXJ650

MaximusXJ650 Member

Thanks for the reply, I noticed the other day when checking the wiring prior to its first start up that the side stand switch had been cut but the wires weren't connected so I spliced them together.

Should I have left them separated?

As for the cable situation, I'm unfortunately in the UK so I would have to wait an eternity for post to arrive from the states. If someone can point me in the right direction in regards to gauge I can probably source something over here

4. XJ550H

6 ga wire
    better off removing the sidestand relay , removing it bypasses the sidestand switch , then replace the side stand switch when you can find one. nothing like turning left with the sidestand down.
    another plus is you can shut down the bike when you park by deploying the sidestand

raskal likes this.
  5. MaximusXJ650

MaximusXJ650 Member

I couldn't agree more. Is the relay located under the seat? I found 2 more wires that had been cut under there (same colours as the side stand switch underneath)

6. MaximusXJ650

MaximusXJ650 Member

Also, again I'm a rookie so apologies, will a wire that supports 110amps be sufficient?

It's a 16mm / 110 amp cable that is 9 inch long

7. XJ550H

wire inside of 6 ga wire is 4.14mm dia

8. MaximusXJ650

MaximusXJ650 Member

So I should have plenty with this then haha

9. XJ550H

10. MaximusXJ650

MaximusXJ650 Member

Thanks again xj550H

I've had a quick skim and found this:

"Sidestand (kickstand) switch:
    - twist the two (or three, depending on the model) wires together and ground them. Grounding the wires is the only way to complete the circuit that activates the sidestand switch relay.

Sidestand (kickstand) relay:
    - unplug the safety relay which disables the whole bloody mess but DO NOT leave it that way, fix it right!"

So once I've sliced the 2 wires together do I need to run a third wire to the frame for ground?

11. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Ummm.. that gas leak is more of a problem than the side stand switch at this point.

If there is gasoline coming out of the air box, then the crankcase is full of gas, and that’s why the bike is stalling in neutral.
    Pull the carbs, fix the problem, change the oil, and don’t start the bike again until you do.

Last edited: May 22, 2019
  12. XJ550H

or just the 2 wires to a ground point

MaximusXJ650 likes this.
  13. MaximusXJ650

MaximusXJ650 Member

Thank for you pointing this out. I've actually just removed the carbs today to give them a clean up.

I may need a bit more guidance than what you mentioned. How do I fix the issue - does cleaning and tuning the carbs fix this?

I actually just changed the oil prior to the fuel leak from the air box so do I need to change it again?

14. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

MaximusXJ650 likes this.
  15. MaximusXJ650

MaximusXJ650 Member

16. MaximusXJ650

MaximusXJ650 Member

Right so I think I've solved the issue with the leaking carbs.

They've had a breakdown and were cleaned out (didn't separate from the rack). The parts inside seemed fine so I re used them.

Carbs were bench tuned and put direct onto the bike. I've now got the bike to idle off of choke once warm however it doesnt like being on the choke without gas being applied (when cold)

Does anyone have a suggestion for this?

I've uploaded a video to YouTube to show the idle, please ignore the mess on the floor, I had an accident when taking out the oil...

To add - I've since lowered the idle speed slightly so it is just above 1k revs

17. Jetfixer

Jetfixer Well-Known Member

I just finished a full tear down on a spare set of carbs , the carbs were in very poor shape the throttle shaft seals were toast 3 were rock hard and 2 were turned to goo. You really should break the rack and replace seals . Looking at your video your synch maybe off .

18. MaximusXJ650

MaximusXJ650 Member

I'm not really big into separating them and no one around here seems to be willing to work on them.

Any idea on how to sync them?

19. Jetfixer

The Morgan pro motion 4 is the best, or 4 vacuum gauge manifold , or 2 baby bottle mamomter...breaking the rack is not difficult and you can use 4 Buna number 11 O rings on each carb ( 2 on each side) while carb is tore down soak in a gallon of carb cleaner ( I use berrymans carb dip) and wash in hot soapy water ,dry and reassemble ( soaking with any rubber seals IE butterfly seals,mixture screw o ring will destroy them in place) . You can build a vacuum gauge manifold , most automotive stores carry the gauge 4 is best but 2 will work mount on a block of wood , you need a restrictor in the lines , a pet store has small valves for fish tanks that can be adjusted. Using the 2 gauge method put on carb 1 and 2 you want an even reading adjust till you get this, move to 3 and 4 ..note number 3 is the idle knob for adjustment .as long as all 4 agree you should see a difference in running. I should have asked have you checked and adjusted valve clearance? This can make a difference on how the bike runs.

20. Jetfixer

This is why butterfly seals should be replaced. Even if they seem soft squeeze them and you will see cracks in rubber .

Attached Files: