1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Seca 550 brake question?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by lostboy, Mar 4, 2013.

1. lostboy

lostboy Well-Known Member

What does the shim that is between the piston and the pad do? The bike never had one but the brakes work fine. I just got back from the dealership to find out that the shim is no longer available.

2. 750E-II_29Rbloke

750E-II_29Rbloke Active Member

Think that's just an anti-rattle shim to cut brake noise. If you have trouble with squeaks or rattles down there you can add a little (a LITTLE!!!!) copper grease to the back of the pad where it touches the piston.

3. zombiehouse

zombiehouse Member

None of my 550 Secas have had that shim. Never had a problem.

4. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

It keeps the brake from squealing rather than rattling; and it's a good idea to install one.

Of course Yamaha didn't have one, but guess who does (or soon will?) I believe chacal has those "in the pipe" right now.

You can also make one from stainless shim stock (if you can find any) I have a pattern and dimensions if you want.

5. lostboy

lostboy Well-Known Member

Fitz can you send me the pattern and dimensions. Stainless steal is easy for me to get. Thanks for all your help you are always there when needed.

6. 750E-II_29Rbloke

750E-II_29Rbloke Active Member

Correct, I was tired and got mixed up with anti rattle springs lol

7. chacal

chacal Moderator Moderator Supporting Vendor Premium Member

We do have the brake pad BACKING SHIM (anti-squeal plate) that goes in-between the caliper piston and the rear of the disc brake pad.....it "clips" onto the back, outer edge of each pad:

HCP18493LH Aftermarket front brake pad SHIM, fits in-between the pad and the piston, used on all XJ550, XJ750 Seca, XJ750 Euro, and XJ1100 (front) models. Fits onto the back side of the pad that contacts the caliper piston. Left front caliper only. Use 1 per caliper. Each:

HCP18493RH Aftermarket front brake pad SHIM, fits in-between the pad and the piston, used on all XJ550, XJ750 Seca, XJ750 Euro, and XJ1100 (front) models. Fits onto the back side of the pad that contacts the caliper piston. Right front caliper only. Use 1 per caliper. Each:

We have these available for most models.

The brake pad ANTI-RATTLE SPRINGS (that fit above the brake pads, up inside the empty "well" cavity of the caliper body) are "coming soon".

As are the caliper retainer plate SHIM (coming soon) and SHIM RETAINER (or "slider") PLATES (in stock)..........on models with a separate caliper retainer block (XJ550's, XJ750 Seca and similar, XJ1100's), there are "slide" plates and, on some models, shims under these slide plates that keep the retainer block properly spaced from the caliper body (the retainer block and the caliper body are pinned together, but move in relation to each other during caliper operation).

8. biggyfaction

biggyfaction Member

I worked on a lot of larger trucks and did some brakes on some bikes years ago. couldn't get the shims so i put a thin layer of RTV silicon on the back of the pad. VERY THIN layer. stopped all the squeals with no problem. not the best solution but works in a short time and lasts as long as you keep it at a lit smear with rag