1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Seca650 No spark

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by MrSeca, Apr 2, 2019.

1. MrSeca

MrSeca Active Member

Thanks for your help. That's exactly what I did.

jayrodoh likes this.
  2. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

the spring helps keep shape of seal and locked in place.

you should plan on replacing it it keeps grease in and dirt and contaminates out

k-moe likes this.
  3. MrSeca

MrSeca Active Member

Is there a way to rewired the turn signal lights so that they stay on all the time. I nearly got sideswiped off the road last night and I want to increase my visibility.

4. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Marker lights won't solve that problem. They don't give enough surface area to be seen as a threat by our lizard brain.
    Apply retroreflective tape to your helmet.
    [​IMG]

tradmedic likes this.
  5. XJ550H

I have been wearing a fluorescent green sweat shirt over my jacket this summer cars stay way back of me and approaching traffic moves off the center line. no one has cut me off this year pulling out of side streets or gas stations. so bright i thought my ignition switch was back lit for a moment.

k-moe likes this.
  6. MrSeca

MrSeca Active Member

Why does my right rear view mirror get buzzy and my left one doesn't? This mainly happens at speeds over 60mph and usually when I'm accelerating.

7. XJ550H

check to see if it is tight in the perch and that everything else is tight including bar clamp. some of the bars have a damper inside of them could be loose.
    bar can be filled up with a butylene rubber caulk compound

MrSeca likes this.
  8. MrSeca

MrSeca Active Member

Could anybody tell me why gear oil is leaking out of the shaft drive?

Attached Files:

9. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

Bad seal

10. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

Yes looks like that needs to be taken apart, replaced or cleaned. Hate to say it but it could be lose, I would hate to see that be lose, check them bolts out for proper tightness.

11. MrSeca

MrSeca Active Member

When you say "lose" are you referring to the bolts themselves or the components inside? I can guarantee you the bolts are tightly on. Nevertheless, there is a seal that goes right in there but until I take it apart I will not know. The weird part is that when I go to check the gear oil it doesn't show any sign of getting low. I wonder if I put too much in there in the first place causing a little pressure to build up and therefore a leak. I'm thinking of just cleaning it up to see if more oil leaks out.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2020
  12. jayrodoh

jayrodoh YimYam Premium Member

I don't think it would leak if loose as the unit is sealed and the connection between the swing-arm and housing is simply mechanical. If it were loose, I would think you'd get some weird vibrations and noises from it especially when accelerating and decelerating.

This is what I would do. You might just have a really small leak and you are looking at years of buildup.

If it is leaking, it will be easier to just swap the unit out vs. replacing the seals. There are a few seals and it requires fully dissembling the drive and rebuilding and setting the gear lash etc.

13. MrSeca

MrSeca Active Member

Do you mean swap the whole drive shaft unit out?

14. hogfiddles

No, after the rear wheel is off, there are just 4 nuts and the shock absorber to remove. Swap the punkin.

depending on the driveshaft configuration, it may or may not come out with the final-drive— some have a retaining clip in the u-joint, others don’t. If there is a retaining clip the driveshaft will stay on the bike. If there isn’t, it will probably pull out with the punkin.

THAT said, the shaft may stay in the bike either way because there is a spring between the end of the shaft and the punkin that usually pushes the two apart when the four nuts are removed.

THAT said, if the shaft DOES come out with the drive, it is NOT attached. Just grab hold and pull it out. If it doesn’t want to release, it’s cuz of a sticky seal on the end of the shaft. Keep wiggling and pulling... it’s just stuck, not fastened.

When you go to reinstall—-

if the driveshaft did not come out, just bolt punkin back on.....you may need to rotate the inner splines just a bit to allow the shaft teeth to line up, but that’s simple.
    If the shaft did come out, first you have to reinstall that, and that is a hassle. You’ll need to pull the u-joint boot back so you can access the u-joint and play the “line everything up right so the splines can slide all the way back in first” game. One the shaft is back in, the refer to the above paragraph.

dfox

Franz and jayrodoh like this.
  15. MrSeca

MrSeca Active Member

With LA being on total lockdown I figured why not start on some motorcycle projects.

I am about to take apart the drive shaft housing to try and fix the oil leak (see pic). My goal is to replace the oil seal as seen in the diagram. After I remove the wheel and undo the nuts to the shaft housig will the shaft simply come out? Will that seal be easy to get to? This will be a first for me and I'm a little nervous since I love this bike so much.

Attached Files:

16. jayrodoh

While that seal is important as it keeps grease in the coupler and water/etc. out. It does not do anything to keep oil in the rear end. Look at the diagram for the rear gearbox.

Chacal does have the seal you show above on the shaft. It has metal in it and I had to cut mine off and press the new one on. Wasn’t a full shop press but I had to get creative.

17. jayrodoh

Part 14 circled below is the oil seal for the input coupler. It appears you could remove the locking nut (part 17) etc. inside the coupler and pull the coupler (part 15) out and then pry out the seal but I have never done this procedure. Maybe someone else here has?

Seal.png

18. MrSeca

MrSeca Active Member

Unfortunately, I'm not sure if the leak is from the rear or front. I've checked the gear oil in the shaft several times to see if it has gotten lower and it hasn't changed one bit. My only guess is that it's coming from somewhere else. But as I think about it does the engine oil make it's way into the shaft drive?

19. MrSeca

MrSeca Active Member

What's the punkin?

20. hogfiddles

Rear hub/rear gear housing/pumpkin/punkin

sorry, used local term