1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Seca650 No spark

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by MrSeca, Apr 2, 2019.

1. MrSeca

MrSeca Active Member

I'm wondering if I should do one more Phosphoric Acid wash to get the WD40 out of there or should I just use the prescribed Acetone and/or laquer thinner. Will either the Phosphoric Acid or acetone/laquer thinner dry on it's own?

2. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Phosphoric acid will not remove oil. Use your choice of the prescribed solvents.
    Acetone and laquer thinner are both volatile, and will evaporate quickly after the rinse.
    Flash rust is not an issue. The epoxy will bond to it, and prevent more oxidation from occuring.

MrSeca likes this.
  3. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

Looks good though and i can't see any heavy pitting. What ever you did seems to have gotten the majority out. Always have to put a inline fuel filter in with these older bikes. We spend way too much time one the carbs not to have a good fuel filter in there to help us keep them clean.

MrSeca and chacal like this.
  4. MrSeca

MrSeca Active Member

The Caswell should be coming in the mail any day now but I have the next big hurdle to get over.

I bought this bike with no title and it actually wasn't in the system either. No records. I know I probably should've avoided this bike like the devil but the offer was too good to pass up. I went to DMV and after a few questions and paperwork it is now in the DMV system but I must go to a CHP office to get it vin verified. Ugh! The next appointment is 2 months away. Jeeze! Just wondering if anybody could give me some tips on going through this process. It seems easy enough but I was hoping I could ride it sooner then later. Any ideas on how to expedite this process? Besides the paper work given to me by the DMV is there anything else I should know?

5. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

can a dealership verify the vin? or inspection station

you could try to register it in VT as a non resident through the mail they require a vin check of the number y any law enforcement office or inspection station/dealership.

VT might not be doing this any more could not find any info on it on the web site

Last edited: May 13, 2019
    k-moe likes this.
  6. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

I had to do something similar and didn't need a appointment, I just took the paper work in and had the officer verify the VIN. He also wanted to make sure it was road worth and had me turn the key on to check all the lights and horn. After that he signed it and put his badge number on the paper work. After that mailed it in and I was fine. I guess what I am saying it you should not need a appointment just to into the local police and have them call one of the police in the bldg in and inspect the bike.

7. XJ550H

some states the vin check is just that a vin number visual inspection in other states a vin check includes running the vin to see if bike is stolen if stolen they take thee bike/car

8. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

Can't they do that this way?
    https://www.nicb.org/vincheck
    As long as it is reported as stolen then it would be in there. For me in Wisconsin you have to prove "chain of ownership" if someone title skips here and you don't have the history of the bike, they make you get a s seruty bond or title bond.

9. XJ550H

Cali needs something for its CHiP officers to do beside make tv shows. it is likely a Union thing you would think the dmv could do it too.
    I can get my vin checks at Inspection stations Police department or dealership but my vin check is just a visual to confirm it is there and correct

10. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

It's not a Union thing, or a make-work scheme. Cali is (and has been for a long time) a hotbed for chop shops and shipping stolen parts overseas.
    Their VIN check is more stringent for good reason.

MrSeca likes this.
  11. XJ550H

when I lived in MA the State combined dmv cops court officers and metro water cops with the state police . so a registry cop was now a state Trooper and could do the vin and sieze the car/bike. up here in NH DMV are not Police you can drive into dmv unregistered un licensed and uninspected and they can not do anything . they also can not do vin checks
    so it would take someone with a gun to get my bike.
    in RI you go to city hall after the dmv, pay your taxes while a police officer does the vin check then sends you back to the dmv or seizes your car/bike after you pay the taxes.

MrSeca likes this.
  12. XJ550H

VT DMV sent me this answer
    Yes, you can register a vehicle in VT as a non-resident.

Thank you,

Ryan

MrSeca likes this.
  13. MrSeca

MrSeca Active Member

This is interesting stuff. I ended up calling around and I found another CHP office that would do it June 19th as oppose to my original appointment at another office on July 9th. Apparently you can have this done at any CHP office in California, however, they may ask you what city you're in and tell you that you can only go to this office or that office. They probably do this so as to spread the wealth so to speak. In any case, I think there's some truth to just showing up at a police station and going for broke. I really don't know what goes on in a cops day, how busy they get, and so one but if there's a cop there with nothing to do why the heck not. I also might try just going to a cop on the street and simply asking. What's the worse that can happen?
    Regardless, they do give a temporary permit type of license that allows me to legally operate the vehicle for two months during which time I am suppose to get it vin verified and return to the DMV for plates. So, I'm not worried and I can still enjoy the bike up until the appointment. Thank you for all of your input.

If I may, I'd like to turn the tides a bit and ask a few questions about my Caswell sealer. I'm not exactly thrilled with my results but I could be making it worse then it is. It turns out there are a few dime sized spots in the tank that did not get covered. I tried a second application and I still could not get every square inch of the tank! Ugh! Is this okay? I will recommend to not use the clear color sealer. If they have another color use that because it was hard to tell with the clear color if I got the whole tank or not. Feedback would be great.

14. MrSeca

MrSeca Active Member

Hey guys. Well, the tank was a success. No leaks and the gas comes out clear so I will leave that for now.

I was able to take it for a spin for the first time. Did about 20 miles and of course, discovered more problems. There's free play in the back wheel and it wiggles about an inch from side to side. Turns out that the pivot shaft assembly, mainly the bearing, that holds the shaft drive is in need of replacing. There are two different pivot shaft assemblies. One to hold the swing arm on the right side and one to hold the shaft drive on the left. My problem looks to be on just the shaft drive side. Thank god I didn't do any high speed riding. This obviously needs replacing and it's simple enough just labor intensive since it looks like I would have to take off the back tire. Does anybody have any suggestions/advice/ vids/articles/how-to's/ect. they could point me to. I can't seem to find anything.

15. XJ550H

Chitwood likes this.
  16. MrSeca

MrSeca Active Member

17. MrSeca

MrSeca Active Member

Well, turns out the Caswell sealer did not do it's job. I have an extremely slow leak happening where it was before. Ending up ruining the paint on the frame. I put two applications in there. I guess I have to do another one. Ugh! Very frustrating. Why is this happening? After both applications I left the bike tilted so that all the remaining sealer makes it way to the end of the tank where the hole is and drys, twice!
    What should I swish the bike with to get all the gas out of there? Would apple cider vinegar be good enough? Any suggestions would be great, thanks.

18. Rooster53

Rooster53 Well-Known Member Premium Member

Where is the hole / leak? Is it anywhere near where the petcock mounts? Leaks can be deceptive and if you did not install a new gasket and special washers to mount the petcock they can leak very slowly from either location.

19. MrSeca

MrSeca Active Member

It's not the petcock. I kind of wish it was. The leak is at the very end of the tank almost at the corner right above the RR.

20. XJ550H

strip it all out and stat over, sounds like the sealer is not bonding to tank or you did not fully cover inside of tank