1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Seca650 No spark

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by MrSeca, Apr 2, 2019.

1. MrSeca

MrSeca Active Member

How do you strip it out?

2. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

What sealer did you use again?

3. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Never mind, I reread.. Caswell sells a stripper for it. If it were mine I would use water and dye to find the leak, and then solder it from the outside. That part of the tank can be tricky to clean out well.

4. MrSeca

MrSeca Active Member

That sounds like a good idea, however, if the sealer isn't working wouldn't it be best to strip it out if the rest of the Caswell sealer could potentially start pealing away?

5. MrSeca

MrSeca Active Member

Before the tank sealer went wrong I was able to ride the bike for two days. Turns out the clutch pedal is extremely stiff. Also, when I shift from first to second it makes a "clack" sound and kind of hurts my foot. It shifts though and is fine in that regard and it doesn't get stuck or locked up it's just really stiff! I did change the oil already and adjusted the clutch cable to give it a little more play. What do you think? Need new clutch plates?

6. MrSeca

MrSeca Active Member

Well, attempt number two to fix the tank failed. I gathered supplies to solder the pinholes and I just couldn't do it. I tried about three times. I buffed out the area, sanded it, applies soldering flux paste then did the solder. Every time, gas just seamed to seep on by. It seems like an easy enough procedure so I have no idea why gas is getting through. Here's a pic of what I have to deal with. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks

Attached Files:

7. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

If you have to keep that tank you might want to think about having it brazed. Just to be supper clear, anytime you put heat of open flame near a gas tank BAD things can happen. So brazing take a higher heat to do but one can do it them self's. I wold take it to a local shop and have it done if you have to keep that tank.

If there are those pin holes how many more could show up? Might be better off just getting a better looking tank from one of the folks here or from another source. IMHO

8. MrSeca

MrSeca Active Member

I've looked around quite a bit and can't seem to find another tank. It's tough.
    What kin of shop would I take it too?

9. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

Last edited: May 25, 2019
    k-moe likes this.
  10. XJ550H

MrSeca likes this.
  11. MrSeca

MrSeca Active Member

Before I take apart the clutch I'd like to try this method of fixing the stiff clutch I found on xj4ever:

Pull the starter motor.....or, even better, the alternator shaft housing.......and shoot lots of solvent (seafoam, carb or brake cleaner, etc.) directly onto and into the Starter Clutch Assembly. Then, drain all of your engine oil and refill with fresh oil. Run the engine while on the centerstand until it's warmed up, drain the oil again, and fill with fresh oil. If the starter clutch was just sticking, this method may wash away enough of the accumulated gunk and set you on your way.

My only question is, how do you spray seafoam in there from the alternator?

12. XJ550H

13. Rooster53

Rooster53 Well-Known Member Premium Member

Are you confusing the engine clutch and the starter clutch? The pulling of the starter / alternator and attempting to clean is addressing an issue where the starter clutch does not engage when cranking the bike and sounds like a rattling can full of rocks.

MrSeca likes this.
  14. MrSeca

MrSeca Active Member

Ahhhhh, I guess I thought I was looking at the engine clutch and did not know there was a difference. ugh! Back to doing more research.

15. MrSeca

MrSeca Active Member

I just realized that I may have confused everyone when I said the CLUTCH PEDAL is stiff when in fact I meant the GEAR SHIFT PEDAL is stiff. It still shifts fine it's just a little stiff and when I shift from 1st to 2nd I get that "clack" sound and it kind of hurts my toes.

16. XJ550H

not every one, I knew you were talking about the shifter. I am sure others did too.

MrSeca likes this.
  17. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

Gear shifting is done with shoes/boots on :) The bike will shift better when it is running and the oil gets pushed around a bit. If you put her on the center stand and move the back tire with your right hand and then try to shift, that will make a difference as well.

18. XJ550H

damn I have been riding barefoot all this time.....:confused:. so now I gotta buy me some boots:(

MrSeca likes this.
  19. MrSeca

MrSeca Active Member

So I'm about to go round 3 or 4 with this frickin' gas tank. The bike is ready to go and man do I want to tear it up but this dam tank is really a thorn in my side. I called Caswell and they informed me to use MEK to get it out but whoever I spoke to didn't seem very educated on it. My plan is to pour some MEK in there and let it sit for two days. Then, I'm going to throw a bike chain in there and shake it up. Then I'll let it sit for another couple of days and then repeat the process one more time. The thing is is that won't the MEK leak through the pinholes that are still there? I'm wondering if taking it to a radiator shop and letting them do it is the best way to go at this juncture. Any feedback would be great.

20. XJ550H

MEK will leak through pin hole .Mek is very strong and will ruin any paint it comes in contact with.