1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Setting HSC32 float heights dry.

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by MiCarl, May 16, 2008.

1. bill

bill Active Member

Len I have seen it in the factory manual and here it is in the Haynes...

Attached Files:

• spec.jpg
      spec.jpg
      File size:
      22.8 KB
      Views:
  2. MiCarl

MiCarl Active Member

If you go to the online parts fiche HERE and pick an 81 or earlier model you can find float heights in the fiche called "SERVICE DATA".

3. bill

bill Active Member

The 17.5mm gives you 3mm fuel height below the gasket line. 21.5 would be 4mm lower, a world of difference in terms of fuel level. See Ricks reply for why that is vital...

4. maxim82

maxim82 Member

Excellent explanation there Rick on the effects of different float levels.
    Thanks

Bill I see you have the same year/model as my bike so you set yours at 11/16ths (17.5)?
    Thanks

5. bill

bill Active Member

Yes then verified using the tube. Works great if you are careful. The ones I had to adjust I found were not set correctly. I was probably rushing through it. But once at 17.5 they seem to sit at 3mm below the gasket line.

6. chacal

chacal Moderator Moderator Supporting Vendor Premium Member

Oh, THAT service data...... :oops:

7. maxim82

maxim82 Member

I think I'm right here but tell me if not. I have the carb rack and my tank off the bike. I can set my carbs level on a table with my tank slightly higher, set to PRI and run a clear hose to each nipple and hopefully all the carbs fuel level will match and be about 3mm below the gasket line. Is this correct?

8. bill

bill Active Member

Absolutely but make sure the rack is level side to side. Now for some more controversy. Some say tilt the carbs front to back to the angle they sit in the bike. Some say level them. I angled mine - I figure they should be adjusted as they run...

By the way 3mm +- 1mm don't be too fussy you will drive yourself nuts.

9. maxim82

maxim82 Member

*lol* Okay thanks for the reminder because I can be a little "Monk"-ish with my OCD.
    I agree with you on the "angle" since that's how they'll ride on my bike.
    Thanks

10. MiCarl

MiCarl Active Member

The service manual specifies raising the front wheel of the motorcycle until the carburetors are level front to back.

I just measure them in normal position, at the centerline (front to back) of the bowl.

11. rnice

rnice Member

This thread is incredibly helpful.
    I was going to throw my carbs back on after cleaning without checking the floats because I'm just not ready to mess with gas flowing through the tubes and yanking the carbs off and on to make minute adjustments.

This I can handle.
    Thank you XJ forum.

12. Nighthawk

Nighthawk Member

13. MN-Maxims

MN-Maxims St. Paul Minnesota

Ok here is where its gets funny. I understand and have set the last 4 sets of carbs this way and it seems to have nailed it.

Tilt the carbs so the weight of the float is not depressing the little spring loaded pin in the needle. At that angle set the float height to 17.5 mm by bending the tang on the float. In my case it has put the float height right on spec. Hope that helps

14. Nighthawk

Nighthawk Member

Well I figured out part of my issue, I replaced the seats with the carb repair kit HCP1 XP1915. If you look at attached picture the float on the right is stock seat which is at 17mm. The one on the left is replacement which has the flaot at about 11mm. So, should I just bend the tang which holds the seat to take it up to 17mm thanks

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h30/N ... ure196.jpg
    [​IMG]

15. Nighthawk

Nighthawk Member

Thanks MN-Maxims for your response, I was thinking that the replacement seats where just a bit different thats why it slipped my mind when I said they havent been touched in 13 years. I guesss the floats need to be adjusted when I went to these seats.

16. Nighthawk

Nighthawk Member

Ok, Since I got my own segment going here, I did a measurment with the carbs on thier side with the tang just touching the seat adjusted to 17mm. Then put the carbs on thier back and the measurement went to 13mm, I could see the seat being depressed. MN-Maxims I understand what you are saying and I am not contradicting what you are saying but what is the proper way by the manual. Your directions make sense but I am just wondering when they say to set them at 17mm in the manuals if they are taking into consideration the seat being depressed. Does this make sense?

Keith

17. MiCarl

MiCarl Active Member

The thing being depressed is not the seat, the seat is the part that screws into the carburetor body.

The little spring plunger is to protect the seat and the tip of the needle from vibration. You want to set the float height without the spring depressed at all. You did it correctly when you had the carburetors tipped just enough to close the needle but not depress the spring plunger.

18. mirco

mirco Member

So which is it? Do we measure to the parting line or to the bottom (which is now the top since the carbs are turned upside down)? I understand that we measure from the gasket surface without the gasket but what do we measure to?

19. Carvall

Carvall Member

20. adrian1

adrian1 Active Member

u go to the online parts fiche HERE and pick an 81 or earlier model you can find float heights in the fiche called "SERVICE DATA".[/quote]

I couldn't find XJ 900's at the Yamaha site :(