1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

shortening cables

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by bensalf, Nov 20, 2013.

1. bensalf

bensalf Well-Known Member

hi all
    anyone know if there is a "how to " on here about shortening control cables,
    i've done a search, and theres lots of talk on rerouting ,but i cant find anything on shortening outer and inner cables, anyound done this, for a permanent fix and not the solderless nipple way?
    cheers
    stu

2. Daed

Daed New Member

I shortened my brake cable and have made few cables before. Took a few tries but have a pretty reliable way down now. Once you get the cable cut to the length you want to get a steel end, don't try to solder a brass end onto a steel cable. You can buy ends from Flanders or make your own. Put the end on then splay out the cable into a 'birdnest'. Ive had the best luck using a homemade solder pot I made out of cut off tire iron. Just take a torch to the pot and melt enough solder in it. Don't overheat the solder, you want to keep it just a bit above the melting point. Slide the end up a bit and dip the birdnest into some flux. Then quickly dip the birdnest into the melted solder to 'tin' the cable. Reflux the birdnest and end and push the end down onto the birdnest. Push the end into the solder until the solder is just below the top of the end. Let it sit in the solder for about ten seconds and until the solder starts to cool just a bit. You should be able to see the solder wick up the cable just a hair and when you pull it out the end should be full of solder. If it isn't completely full reflux and dunk it again. Once you get the end full, file or grind off the excess.

Also for the solder, use a high tin solder with lead to make a harder plug, don't use plumbing solder. I use 60/40 tin/lead solder and it works well. And don't use that shitty lithium flux. Also might want to try a couple times on some junk cables before you try to modify your final cable.

Can be frustrating at first but once you get the hang of it its pretty easy and sure beats paying a fortune for custom cables. Good luck.

3. kinen1

kinen1 Member

Thanks for the How To Daed. :)

Will come handy in the future.

kinen1

4. adrian1

adrian1 Active Member

5. bensalf

yes thanks all.
    that just about covers it, thanks for the info.
    whats the procedure for shortening the outer, is it remove ferrule snip to length ,replace ferrule??
    thanks for the links , adrian1
    stu

6. 750E-II_29Rbloke

750E-II_29Rbloke Active Member

The way I shorten outers is remove the ferrule like you say, then slice the plastic to length with a craft knife, bend the outer just enough to allow one jaw of the snips to slide between coils & then cut. Before refitting the ferrule dress the cut end lightly with a needle file to remove sharp edges.

Doing it this way means you can see the coils easier & can cut cleanly without crushing them at all. Or you could use a dremel cutting disc instead of snips. :)

7. bensalf

ah, the trusty dremel, did'nt think of that.
    cheers
    stu