1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Should I buy this customized 1980 XJ650 Maxim

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by Evan Burkhard, Jan 21, 2023.

Tags:
  1. Evan Burkhard

Evan Burkhard New Member

Hello Everyone,

I'm a new rider buying my first bike. I found one on Facebook Marketplace.

Link: marketplace/item/675751570750198/

With title and 1 key ready to cafe race, carbs are rebuilt and fuel gauge works. Let me know if you have any questions.

Needs air filters

I’ve had it almost 2 years and maintenance was easy, oil changes and that’s all otherwise it’s a sound Japanese bike

Yes I did spark plugs, rebuilt all 4 carbs and regular oil changes

The handle bars are after market

i got it to max out around 115mph

Clutch is fine the brakes could use new shoes and front pads and it’s shaft driven

I haven't discussed price, but the ad dropped from $2,800 to $2,000 recently. The ad is about 6 weeks old.
    He sent over more pictures (see attached files). The odometer says about 23.5k miles, the tank looks sun faded, the seat is tattered, and there is some rust. The bike looks like it was kept outside.

Looking at JD Power pricing, and the cost of other models, a fair value for the bike seems to be closer to $500.

Given this information, is this a good first bike? If I can get the bike for less than $1,000, should I? Should I avoid this bike entirely? What are your thoughts?

Thanks,
    Evan

Attached Files:

2. Simmy

Simmy Well-Known Member

If you’re a new rider I recommend staying away from someone’s chop job.

Jetfixer and jayrodoh like this.
  3. Minimutly

Minimutly Well-Known Member

No. Don't. Absolutely not

4. Evan Burkhard

Evan Burkhard New Member

I think the frame was untouched. The modifications seem to be new handle bars, paint, upholstery, and removed some lights.

5. XJ650inTexas

XJ650inTexas Active Member

For a first bike I would buy something ready to ride anywhere, no worries. What is your overall budget? Regardless of what you pay that machine will need some time/effort/cash. "Needs air filters" - presumably pod filters, which require rejetting/retuning the carburetors to run properly. How experienced/meticulous was the current owner with the carbs? FWIW, I see complete running XJs on craigslist fairly consistently for roughly what he's asking so consider your options and ride a few bikes before you spend your money.

6. Evan Burkhard

Evan Burkhard New Member

Thanks for the information. Seller said this bike is ready to ride. I plan on changing the engine oil, air filter, shaft oil, and brakes anyway to learn how to maintain the machine. My budget is less than $3,000. I want a cheap bike, so I don't care if I damage it. I don't have a car, and plan on riding the bike back home. I need to find a bike that (a) isn't too big (nothing above 700cc), (b) within budget (<$3,000), (c) within a range where I don't have to take it on the highway, and (d) is ready to ride. This bike meets all those criteria. I have looked extensively for other bikes on eBay, Facebook Marketplace, Craigslist, and local dealerships but cannot find any that meet my four criteria.

I also have a pretty extensive checklist for reviewing the bike. Given this information, if the bike is ready to ride, is it worth it?

7. Simmy

Simmy Well-Known Member

I could line up 20 good candidates for a new rider for that much money, even with Canadian pesos. And it wouldn’t be that thing.

@XJ650inTexas has already alluded to the issue you’re likely to find with the pod filters.

Stay away!

8. Evan Burkhard

Evan Burkhard New Member

Good call, everyone. Went to check out the bike. It had caked on oil all over the engine, carbs were dirty, no air filters ("for more horsepower" said the seller), cracked muffler, altered frame. I didn't end up buying. The hunt continues. Thanks again for the advice.

9. jayrodoh

jayrodoh YimYam Premium Member

Yeah keep looking, I've scored plenty of good stock complete bikes for $500 or under if you're patient. It's rare to see something advertised that is a good deal, most are overpriced especially when "customized." Put the work out among friends, you'd be surprised how many people have or know of bikes sitting around. The $1 per CC rule works well when not running. I snagged a near perfect 82 SECA 650 from the original owner for $650 because it didn't run.

10. Simmy

Simmy Well-Known Member

11. Evan Burkhard

Evan Burkhard New Member

Thanks, @Simmy. Not married to XJ, I'm open to any bike within budget. However, I prefer the cruiser, brat, scrambler styles. The bike you listed is in Canada, what would you expect the shipping cost to be to get it to Denver?

12. Simmy

Simmy Well-Known Member

Shipping would not be practical, I just showed it as an example of what you can find out there.
    A Canadian bike would have import red tape, too much hassle.

Have you considered a dual-sport?
    This is always what I recommend new riders go for.
    You can develop your riding skills so much faster off-road, and no Buicks trying to kill you.

13. Dan Gardner

Dan Gardner Well-Known Member Premium Member

Sounds like you're being rational @Evan Burkhard - so that's great.

You will probably have to be patient. The selling season hasn't really started yet.

I'm obviously a little partial to XJs, but here are my thoughts: If I had a $3k budget, I would look for a good, running XJ650 Maxim for $1500, give or take $500, depending upon condition. That will leave plenty of juice in your budget to properly maintain the bike and replace parts that need to be replaced as time permits without having to panic or not be able to ride while the bike is broken down or unsafe.

That's my $.02.

Best of luck.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2023
    Jetfixer likes this.
  14. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

Stay away... and with the back part of the frame chopped off, who knows if it was chopped at a safe location, was the rear loop weld on safely, what about the missing lights..... who know what was done up front....

Jetfixer likes this.
  15. DarinAdkins

DarinAdkins Member

You should go with the comfy and lower engine(125cc) capacity, instead of following any notion stay tuned to your choice and suiting vehicle.