1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Skill levels

Discussion in 'Suggestion Box' started by Hired_Goon, Jul 3, 2006.

?

What level of wrencher are you

1. 1 Whats a wrench

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 2 Can check fluids/tire pressure but thats all.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. 3 Passed carby cleaning 101

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. 4 Willing and able to try anything, forks wheel bearings etc

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. 5 Gonna swap my primary chain this weekend ready for Mondays Ride.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Hired_Goon

Hired_Goon Member

Just a suggestion I'd like to see in someones profile Sno. Maybe something done at signup.

I find sometimes when responding to post I am responding to a question with the assumption of the users mechanical ability. Would be good if there was something simply showing the rough ability of who we are replying to.

If it's too hard then no problem, usually doesn't take much to work it out, but with the number of members, it's getting hard to remember all of them.

And for those who like a bit of fun, I've made my suggestions into a poll to see roughly what we have in here.

2. BlueMaxim

BlueMaxim Active Member

This is a great idea. I would also like to see the members bike in their profile. Manytimes they don't way in their post the exact bike they have. Maxim could be teh 550,650,750 or 1100. There is quite a difference between those bikes. Since most don't think to add it to their sig line a line asking for it in the profile would help some of out answering tech questions.

3. woot

woot Active Member

<a href="http://maps.google.com/maps?q=44.777479+-
    If their bike(s) were in their signature it would help... Like how everyone in this thread has done so far.

As for wrenching skill - I'm middle of the road but adventurous to a point.

Just having someone there for the times I get in over my head usually is enough to give me the confidence to rip it open. Pretty simple bikes mechanically.

woot.

short version: Good idea.

4. welderflame

welderflame Member

Good Idea! I have done alot of wrenching over the years on everything from lawn mowers, snow mobiles, a Hondog 550four, Hardley Rideable XLCRTo V8 Vegas and Fire trucks but it alway helps to have a friend that is a Yamaha mechanic Hence the credit to my co-worker Jay

5. Nick

Nick Member

I've been working on just about anything since I was a kid ( late 1960's ).
    Ran my own repair/service shop for domestic water pumps and swimming pools for 19 years.
    If someone put it together, I can usually tear it apart.
    If it's not working to begin with, I can't do much more damage to it and hopefully get it working again.

6. HooNz

HooNz Member

I like busting things to see what makes it tick , fortunately i can get them back together [always].

I know what a gas axe and sledge hammer is but i never have heard of a "wrench" , whench yes.

7. Robert

Robert Active Member

I had no idea how the internal combustion engine worked until I was too poor to afford the repairs to my 71 CB350 (my first and only wheels at the time). Neccessity forced my hand and I found myself hooked. I've experiences from toasters to C-130/F-14's and beyond so I'm fairly comfortable pulling anything apart. I haven't any machining or welding skills yet but that will be rectified at the local community college over the next year or two. I've found a great deal of helpful information for the uninitiated in the form of the high school automotive text books (have two of them, they are priceless), they tend to explain things with excellent illustrations. Another referrence is the John Muir publications "How to keep your Volkswagon alive for the complete idiot" water-cooled edition (not in print any longer but still out there). The air-cooled version (which is still in print, thus more plentiful) is also useful but does not address the water cooled aspects of the engine. If you are ever in need of understanding of either an engine or an injection system, these books both have a great deal to offer.

8. SnoSheriff

SnoSheriff Site Owner Staff Member Administrator

I’ve been away on vacation for a bit so time to catch up here… Good idea Hired_Goon. I’ll see what can be done with this but I’m not making promises.

I’d rather spend my $ on other things then repairs. I’d rather invest in a new tool, fix it myself and learn something in the process. While most of my mechanical tinkering is on automobiles I’m not afraid to get dirty with bikes. But I do get frustrated when things go wrong, like broken bolts etc. Also working with a buddy seems to be less frustrating.

I’m not sure what is considered ‘Passed carby cleaning 101’ but I’m about 4.

9. SnoSheriff

Ok, I can add a field to user profile and I call it ‘Mechanical Skills Level’. I can not make it a multiple choice but I can put a text stating ‘Enter your mechanical skills level between 0-10. 10 being an expert mechanic.’

This would not show in the forum under the avatar but when you click on user ‘profile’ button then it would show there. I’d make this an optional field to fill out by the user. Will something like this work?

10. Hired_Goon

Hired_Goon Member

If thats the simplest way Sno, then it's all good. Only takes a sec to check a profile.

Easy stuff is simple stuff. :wink:

11. SnoSheriff

Yes, that’s fairly simple and hopefully compatible with software upgrade…
    Keep in mind that when you are replying to the poster, he/she may have high mechanical skills but our other readers may not. But I guess those readers can register and post asking for further clarification and details.