1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Slightly altered 83 XJ750 Maxim

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by PavelK313, Jan 29, 2019.

1. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

Great you didn't get injured, how quickly things can change especially on a motorcycle.

PavelK313 likes this.
  2. Minimutly

Minimutly Well-Known Member

I'm no expert on motorbike handling, but the smaller engined xj's are made from small diameter thin wall tube - so when things go wrong they can flex, flex leads to wobbles, to tank slappers. More modern, short bikes have much stiffer frames for a reason. Even the modern "retro style" bikes made from steel tube have obviously bigger diameter tubed frames. Adding sticky radial tyres exposes the frames shortcomings too I guess.
    All of this might be nonsense, but this is how I see it.
    When I rebuilt my Kawasaki gt750 trike with a simple solid back end I was amazed how much flex the frame had. Ended up triangulating under the seat (impossible with an air box), between the engine and headers, low down and high up inside the already triangle shaped back end. At each step I checked the reduction in flex. I didn't solid mount the engine, but that would have been the next step.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2021
  3. tj.

tj. Active Member

Just finished reading this build thread from the start. Great job and nice pics...thanks for posting!
    To keep or not to keep...seat time may help.

PavelK313 likes this.
  4. 50gary

50gary Active Member

I'm sure you've mentioned how "steep" your modded XJ is but I can't recall? How steep is it? One other thing about XJ's with modern forks the absence of the leading axle shortens the wheelbase quite a bit. Your tires are also different as I recall?
    My rake is 25.5* with 2001 R1 forks and triples, R1 front wheel/tire. I also have Race Tech 1.0kgm spring in them. 12.5" rear shocks and 17" 140/17/70 rear wheel/tire. I did make some aluminum front top motor mounts, I may do the others when I get time.
    Cheers, 50gary

5. PavelK313

PavelK313 Active Member

I did post it somewhere in here but if I remember correctly it was around 25* and yes, it has a lot shorter wheel base than stock.

6. PavelK313

PavelK313 Active Member

Six and a half months ago my wife and I became parents to our son. Ever since we found out that we were expecting addition to our family I wanted to take a picture of my son on my XJ, because when I was little my dad and I took similar pictures on his Jawa 350 that he owned at that time. :)

Attached Files:

Uxbridge Brule, tj., Simmy and 3 others like this.
  7. Minimutly

Minimutly Well-Known Member

I took my Grandson out on my trike today - how did that happen....

8. PavelK313

PavelK313 Active Member

Well… as they say, all good things must come to an end. Today I sold my XJ. It brought great memories, amazing experiences and I met new friends with it. Here is the last picture of it under my ownership.
    I am sure no one will miss me here but I’ll still be visiting this place from time to time.

Attached Files:

First82maxim likes this.
  9. chacal

chacal Moderator Moderator Supporting Vendor Premium Member

No matter what the new owner paid (within some sort of reason), he got a deal. That is one nice-looking and seemingly well-engineered bike. Good luck with your family project!

PavelK313 likes this.
  10. PavelK313

PavelK313 Active Member

I personally think that new owner got a smoking deal, but it is what it is. Now he has one of the coolest XJs out there.

11. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

I would like to own that bike, a smashing machine it is.

12. Uxbridge Brule

Uxbridge Brule Active Member

Loved watching the progression of that bike and how you worked through problems. Enjoy family time there will be an XJ available when you get the bug again I'm sure, they are bulletproof.

First82maxim and PavelK313 like this.