1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

So I finally did the big upgrade

Discussion in 'Other Motorcycles' started by Alive, Mar 28, 2020.

1. Alive

Alive Active Member

FJ111200 and Franz like this.
  2. FJ111200

FJ111200 Active Member

Lovely. I've got a 1200 but looking for a 1300 at the right price. Probably one of the best all-rounders out there. I've also just recently converted my XS1100 into the guise of and XJR with a 2001 1300 petrol tank and also using a standard 1200 set of forks upgraded with the adjustable damping. I keep thinking about changing the tail piece. lol. That dent in the tank needs ironing out and the forks on the 1200 are from an 89 FJ1200 which gives a bit more travel than standard and works a treat.
    [​IMG]WP_20200317_16_25_43_Pro_LI by Billy Bananahead, on Flickr
    [​IMG]WP_20200322_11_36_14_Pro_LI by Billy Bananahead, on Flickr

Alive and Franz like this.
  3. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

Did you have to modify the tank in any way or the forks?

4. FJ111200

FJ111200 Active Member

The forks needed a spacer between the top yoke and the headstock which you can just about see in the bottom picture.
    The tank needed to mounted in a different way by drilling a hole in each side of its front mounting points and running a cable tie through the upper frame rail. Then thick rubber tank pieces fixed on the frame rails towards the seat hold the tank in place with press fitting and the rear mounting point is cable tied again to the frame. Cable tie king me but they are a great invention.
    The seat was modified at the front by cutting away the base to help it sit on the frame rails.
    Like any modification its do one mod and then modify half a dozen extra parts to accommodate the first mod. Doh! All rough and ready really.

5. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

Looks great l have seen an XJ900 f with an XJR 1300 tank too.