1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

So I laid it down...

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by KanesSon, Sep 7, 2006.

1. KanesSon

KanesSon Member

So I finally took a spill on the bike. The bike is fine!

I was headed to work, and making a turn that I had made so many times before, but this time it seemed that someone's engine exploded or something- leaving a giant oil slick going from the turning lane all the way through the turn, and covering the entire middle half of the lane I was in.

Of course I didn't see it untill it was too late, and then I got a really up close view of it.

Fortunately for me I was wearing my helmet, and padded riding jacket (seriously, dont leave home without it!) so the only injury I suffered was from my ankle being caught between my 500 lb bike, and the very unforgiving pavement.

I was also fortunate that two very nice onlookers picked my bike up for me, and helped me hobble out of the roadway. From there I got my bearings back, was able to start my bike and rode the rest of the way to work (an excrusiating mile).

My fortune followed me to work because our security staff consists mainly of off-duty police officers and EMTs, so I was able to get it wrapped up and iced before I headed to the urgent care.

I suppose I was fortunate again when I got to the urgent care clinnic, because my copay was only $25, which would have been quadruple that if I had gone to the ER. Although I had to wait for 3 hours to get in still, when I did get in, it went quickly. I was examined, Xrayed, and told that it PROBABLY wasnt broken. Given a couple prescriptions for Vicoden, and Naproxen and sent home.

Stopped at the pharmacy on the way home to drop off the prescriptions (thank god for walgreens Drive-Thru), and was happy to find out that the prescriptions would only cost me $14 (I should take this moment to mention how thrilled I am that I decided to get health insurance 4 months ago after going 3 years without it, and never being in a situation where I would have needed it in those 3 years).

So, here I am, laid up at home with an ankle that feels broken, but 'might not be'. All drugged up, and unable to do anything except watch TV and play on the computer...

*sigh*

How fortunate I was today

2. HooNz

HooNz Member

No good KanesSon , at least you get to look for oil patches again :) , they a pain [excuse the pun aye] those things , even water patches on a nice day which only have to be 1 foot round just on a apex and in the right? place , go easy on the tinnies and enjoy the wait.........

3. SecaGirl

SecaGirl Member

Ouch. Glad to hear you're ok. The nice thing is that if they can't spot a break in the xray, and you do wind up with a hairline, you'll be ok to heal up w/o a cast.

I feel for you, because I'm sitting here with a jammed up big toe on my left foot. Open toe slides + rain + outdoor stairs with a slippery spot = ow! hurtz! I would up jamming my toe into the stair riser as I was trying not to fall. (For those that know Jerome, AZ, it's the long stairway from the main street up to the Haunted Hamburger resturant.)

I don't think it's broken, because it didn't swell up. I'm going to try to piggyback onto my Dad's doctor appt tomorrow to get it looked at. Health insurance would be nice right about now. :?

4. SecaGirl

SecaGirl Member

Oh, and make sure you wear over-the-ankle boots. I'd take them over a helmet if the choice had to be made.

Bag your work shoes and bungee them to the seat behind you. :)

5. KanesSon

KanesSon Member

Yea, I do need to get some over the ankle boots. I've been wearing my work shoes while riding because they are non-slip (work in a kitchen). I was just looking the other day at some non slip boots though... I'll probably have to order a pair of those.

6. BlueMaxim

BlueMaxim Active Member

Glad you are ok and hope you don't have any hairline fractures. The xrays at least show no major breaks. Don't ride if you take that vicoden! That stuff will make you think the last spill was fun!

7. geebake

geebake Member

Glad to hear you're OK. Forget about the money. I know that's easy to say, but it really can't be the driving force behind your decisions when health is concerned. If your ankle isn't feeling better soon, see a doctor and have it checked out. The last thing you want is for an un detected fracture to heal improperly. I wouldn't push it either give it enough time to heal properly.

Thank god for your safety gear. What did Nietzsche say? "If it doesn't kill you, it makes you stronger."

I did a very similar thing. The day I was to take my MC license test, I went to the place I was renting the bike from early to practice. Not 10 minutes after I got there, I went down. Not hard, but hard enough to break my right elbow. Of course I didn't know it at the time. I went to take the test and discovered that I couldn't do anything with my right hand. No front brake and I could only palm the throttle. I'm pleased to report that I passed the test though. After a quick stop at the DMV to get my endorsement, I went to the hospital and found out that it was broken and needed care. Naturally the doctor told me that I needed to take it easy and that the one thing I really shouldn't do for a while was ride a motorcycle! Doop!

Greg

8. KanesSon

KanesSon Member

I don't plan on riding untill I can atleast walk on my ankle, and right now I can't put any wieght on it at all...,

9. Robert

Robert Active Member

Glad you came out of it more or less intact, it could have been much worse. I would say that a pound of flesh is very expensive, but I'd much rather pay in cash than with my hide. Follow your doc's advice to the letter, you will regret it later if you don't. Take care of yourself!