1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

[SOLVED] 1982 Yamaha XJ650lj seca turbo fuel diagram

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by turbobike, Feb 21, 2008.

1. turbobike

turbobike Member

got an 82 seca turbo.

the fuel lines aren't correct i'm sure as they look like this

[​IMG]

anyways, there's one under the seat, but it's cracked and worn, i fixed some of the spots in photoshop, but still kinda confused

if anyone has a better scan of this it'd help

i get spark, good battery, good connections, pump turns over and pulls ALITTLE gas through the inline filter

here's the other side, i'm not sure what the thing is that has two hoses on it and one empty nipple.

[​IMG]

i know it's not hooked up right, and it's missing the vacuum hose that goes on the airbox. so assuming that's the vacuum 'on' for the petcock, i've found my problem.

god i hope i didn't just ramble and actually got my question acrossed.

just another pic

[​IMG]

Edit:
    Got her fixed! Thanks fraps, you set my mind a thinkin'!
    Couple youtube vids of the turbo beast runnin!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=945qYMbKMVk
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8TGrJylETc

2. Fraps

Fraps Member

Re: 82 seca turbo, need fuel line diagram / fuel line routing

That "the thing is that has two hoses on it and one empty nipple." is the pressure regulator.

The nipple on the pressure regulator that is not connected, should have a vacuum hose connecting it to the surge tank.

The main trunk line (the top top line in the last pic of your post) off the pressure regulator goes to the IN nipple of your fuel petcock on the tank.

The bottom fuel line (the the last pic above) off the pressure regulator snakes around to one side of the check valve (looks like a 'T').

The other side of the check valve goes to the 90 degree nipple on the fuel pump. The bottom of the T goes to the carbs.

Off the petcock, the OUT nipple goes to the straight nipple on the fuel pump.

I don't know what that crazy looking 'H' fitting that is all soldered up is for. Definitely not stock.

I hope this helps.

3. turbobike

turbobike Member

Re: 82 seca turbo, need fuel line diagram / fuel line routi

i think i understand

the 'h' thingy must be a 'replacement' for the check valve. i don't have any t-fittings.

i'll take some more pics and see if i cann't get things re-routed better.

is the check valve needed, or is it just a T fitting?

4. turbobike

turbobike Member

Re: 82 seca turbo, need fuel line diagram / fuel line routi

[​IMG]

I found that on the watermarked website.

17 is the check-valve, i do have this.
    18 is a hose on the bottom of the check-valve, this goes to the surge-tank? or to another nipple allowing gas to get where it needs to go? I'm pretty sure that's hooked up right.

but, seeing this and going over what Fraps said makes sense.

and mines completely messed up. guess the PO didn't know you had to vacuum the canister to get it flowing fuel. Good thing he didn't know how to find out how to fix it. Cause his loss will hopefully be my gain!

this is todays project, i'll let you know how it goes.

if you have any more advice of what i should be checking / looking at while i'm in the area let me know

5. turbobike

turbobike Member

Re: 82 seca turbo, need fuel line diagram / fuel line routing

Re-worked all the fuel lines

drained the fuel bowls

turned on the petcock

and it started!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tm8uQJ-lbBo

is video!!!!

things still wrong, need turbo oil feed line, there some something leaking out the muffler, and carbs probably need synced.

i'll post pics later, i wanna get back outside and work!

6. Fraps

Fraps Member

Wish I could get my Turbo to start that easy!!! Nice job.

7. ferret2

ferret2 Member

hi turbobike,
    looking at the pics, is that a new fuel pump, if it is what make is it? nned to know in case mines duff

8. turbobike

turbobike Member

it is a different fuel pump from what i can tell, i haven't done much other than put the right tubes on it.

i'll be taking things apart this evening, but right now, i'm having to much fun riding ;)

9. MacMcMacmac

MacMcMacmac Member

If you have run the bike with no turbo oil line, the turbo is probably now junk. It is turning 150,000 rpm at idle.

You can get a rebuild kit for a TC-03 at http://www.gpopshop.com

It's about $110.

Hose #18 feeds gas directly into your carbs, through a central spigot that is connected to all four carburetors.

There is no vacuum present anywhere in a turbo fuel system. You open the petcock, fuel flows. The check valve in part # 17 keeps the carbs from flooding when the bike is off. It would be a good idea to open this up and make sure it is clean. Don't lose the aluminum puck, the spring, or the o-ring.

Crimp hose clamp #3, and remove hose #2. There is a small conical fuel filter pushed into in the inlet of the fuel pump. Clean it.

*EDIT-- Sorry, didn't notice the new pump. It is probably a dumb question, but do you know the operating pressure? You don't want one putting out 40-50 psi, that's way too much.

Hose # 26 goes to a small nipple on the upper-rear of the surge tank (pictured) behind your right leg. It feeds boost pressure to the pressure regulator, so that it begins to close. The regulator (#14) gradually raises fuel pressure as boost pressure rises, so that the boost doesn't blow the gas out of the float bowls. Fuel pressure is boost pressure + a couple of psi. I think it's 3psi at idle, but I'm not sure at the moment.

You might want to spray a bit of silicone lube (NOT WD40 or oil) into that empty nipple to ensure the diaphragm can move freely.

The stuff coming out of your pipe is a mixture of condensation and oil.

Everything in this picture is made of pure unobtanium. If you can pick up some cheap spares, it's well worth it.

10. turbobike

turbobike Member

MacMcMacMac

Turbo's fine. just have to trust me on that, as far as rebuilding, this one wouldn't be the first mitsu turbo i've rebuilt, and with me working on 3000gt's all the time, not the last :)

As far as all the hoses, got them hooked up good.

didn't know the system ran on boost instead of vacuum, same concept though. The regulator works good, got it hooked up to the surge tank.

Hose #18, was hooked up to carbs, just couldn't see where when the surge tank was hooked up.

Bike also came with an extra set of carbs, fuel check vavle, and regulator. so i do have a couple extras, and i hear you about the unobtanium! My best bet is to find someone with an XJ around here that's trashed.

11. MacMcMacmac

MacMcMacmac Member

Apparently, the fuel pump from a Renault 5 turbo fits the bill in terms of pressure, as it was also a carbed, turbo motor.

12. turbobike

turbobike Member

Sorry for bringing this up again, just wanted to add some follow up pics for archive.

Fuel Check valve
    [​IMG]

Pressure Regulator
    [​IMG]

Some asked about the fuel pump. I do not know what type it is, just know it's not stock, it has a rubber sleeve around it and i didn't look, next time it's off i'll take pictures.
    [​IMG]

Without the 90 degree line, i gently coiled it to the check valve.
    [​IMG]

I did have the output side 90deg part, so i took off the other hose and put on the right one
    [​IMG]

Everything seems ok, a bit of random missfiring, plugs were dirty. But when i get on it, it goes. No leaks or anything.

It's been 20s and 30s out, and full choke, bike will turnover first try, give it a tiny bit of gas and it'll idle and warm up from there. Seems I'm a bit lucky with how quicky mine starts up. all I know is PO 'rebulit' the carbs. Don't even know what that really means, but i do know the carbs are spotless and look new. It came with the old dirty carbs.

Thank you all very much for the help again. I hope I can help out with any turbo related (or other) questions! And i'm always taking and offereing pictues, so if it gets annoying, just let me know, i'll link em.

13. howie1soccer

howie1soccer New Member

I am trying to put together a 1982 XJ650 Seca Turbo. The vacuum nipple on the bottom of the air box (scavenger), what does this connect to? I'm also having some challenge with the fuels lines between the pump, tank and the regulator. Any help on all the gas and vacuum lines especially would be great! Does anyone have a diagram for these? Also, the hose on the left side of the crankcase, where does this attach?