1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

somplace to get new keys cut?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by bartman, Jul 18, 2006.

1. bartman

bartman Member

hey folks, just curious if there is someplace to get a new key made....back when I had the bike apart, I must have left one in the gas cap, and it broke off inside...luckily I got it out, but now I'm down to only one key. the local ace hardware store couldn't find a blank to work from...

thanks.

2. B.Adams

B.Adams New Member

I just got 2 new ones from a local Yamah dealer. I just went in, they wrote down the number on the key, and a week and a half later I had the new ones. They were cut at the factory, not the local shop, and just shipped in. They cost me roughly $12 each.

Seeing as they just cut them based on the number, you could probably call a dealer and have keys shipped to you.

3. schmidtap

schmidtap Member

not sure what is in GB, I got mine made at trillings (Truevalue), if you have one near you try there, cost around 2 bucks to get done, lot better than from the dealer.

4. jdrich48

jdrich48 Member

I just walked into a locksmith here in NC and they had the blanks hanging on the wall. Had 3 made for $12.00

5. Robert

Robert Active Member

Nice thing about the dealer is they can cut the key exactly to the specs for the code on your bike (if they aren't retarded and have sold off their older code books and dies). I've used this route when the key received is a dime store cheapie and it isn't working too well. A fresh cut has sorted out the two locks I had problems with. Of course I stamp my code onto my key and then have the cheapies made off of that master so I always have a master for a backup.

6. thefox

thefox Member

I had an extra key cut at my local ACE hardware for $1-$2 I think. They used a "ilco" brand part number YH50.

7. Nick

Nick Member

A good locksmith will have a large assortment of keys for most motorcycles.

"Ilco" makes more than a dozen styles of Yamaha key blanks, mine uses a YH48 blank.

Key codes can usually be found on the bottom of the Ignition switch, with this number a good locksmith can cut the proper key to factory original specs.

Keys cut by code usually cost more for the first key to help pay for the equipment and access to the "codes".

Robert has the right idea, have a "master" and make copies from that original. Making a copy of a worn key is still a worn key!

8. xj650maxim82

xj650maxim82 Member

What if you don't have any keys? Thats the boat im in with one of my bikes.

9. Nick

Nick Member

As stated above or take one of the locks ( if possible ), or the whole bike, to a locksmith and a key can be created from the lock.

10. jamescomp

jamescomp Member

no need to do all that going to dealergips and getting codes and all that i just got 4 new made at american lock and key southgate michigan
    for $1.90 ea if you live out of state give em a call they may do them by mail for you but i didnt ask so im not sure but anyone in this area this is the place to go.

11. jamescomp

jamescomp Member

like this other guy said they can make a copy off your lock shoot i had one locksmith tell me that he wouldnt make keys for it if i HAD the key lol. hed only do it if i didnt rofl.

ps the keys i got from the locksmith for 2 bucks ea are better than the originals by a long shot and they have nice wide head unlike one of the keys that came with the bike and the other that came with it has a wide plastic head but the key part is made of some cross bread junk light type steel(like a new motorcycle key of today lol)m not sure which key of the original 2 that came with the bike when i got it is a factory key but both are crap compared to these new ones.

cya

12. m0pp3ry

m0pp3ry Member

13. jamescomp

jamescomp Member

thank you very much man but i got some today from a locksmith 5 mins away from me and for 2 bucks a piece and the keys are way better than my originals its called american lock and key in southgate mich. if you ever need any more im not sure what this place charges that you pointed me to but i looked at it last night and it said they didnt have the blanks to cut my keys so i never even found out a price.but this guy i got mine from says he can get these key blanks wiout any problem at all.and the part i like is--- they cost me $1.90 ea
    i dont know just another resourse in case you cant find in the future.

thank you

14. XJ1100

XJ1100 Member

Sorry to dig up an old thread, but I searched, found this thread and I'm in the same boat as some of the members here with a little twist...

I LOST THE LAST @!#$ KEY FOR MY BIKE! Anyone know how to "hotwire" my bike? (XJ1100)

I'm dreading the thought of calling the locksmith. I know it's going to cost me an arm and a leg to get a key made...which will leave me with one arm and one leg. Makes for a lop-sided ride!

HELP!

15. Robert

Robert Active Member

Pull your ignition switch and take it to the locksmith with your registration (they don't cut keys for just any joe who brings in a lock cylinder, could be hot). Pay the nice man the price for your whoops and have two keys made!
    Another thought is to proceed as directed above to the nearest Yamaha dealer, who, for a princely sum, can cut you a new key from the code on the bottom of the switch/lock.
    You can hot wire it by supplying 12 volts to the ignition system and jumpering the solenoid. Not hard but looks silly riding around with jumpers hanging out.

16. WesleyJN1975

WesleyJN1975 Member

I actually had a couple cut at Mt. Holly Powersports that handle yamaha and honda. Your local dealer should be able to get it handled for you. You should get a couple extra cut and keep them somewhere safe.

17. XJ1100

XJ1100 Member

Thanks guys. I feel like a total idiot. I guess I'll have to bite the bullet and remove the ignition either way. I hate to take it apart, but if I have to..Extra keys will be made for sure!

Another bonehead mistake by the newbie!

18. XJ1100

XJ1100 Member

You won't believe it......

I FOUND MY KEY!!

I couldn't be happier! A few stories have to have a happy ending...

I'm off to get spares made right now. Thanks again for the advice and support!

19. WeAreZilla

WeAreZilla Member

Don't be so hard on yourself - things happen, even to the best of us. Glad you found your key. I always make at least two spares; one for my group of spares that are safely tucked away, and one for SWMBO's key ring in case she has to meet up with me if I lose mine.

Z

20. XJ1100

XJ1100 Member

Good plan. Thanks again for the support.

It's hard not to be critical of yourself when you make such a stupid mistake.