1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Southwest (us) carb clinic?

Discussion in 'Western US and Canada' started by KanesSon, Aug 21, 2006.

1. Robert

Robert Active Member

I'm up for a weekend ride. Got the tools and the ability to tune, just don't know the magic in changing needle height, jetting or any other monkey business mods. I run straight stock and prefer it to simplify tuning.

2. ArizonaSteve

ArizonaSteve Member

I don't need any tuning at the moment but I could come and offer support if someone else brings the tools and equipment.

3. Hvnbnd

Hvnbnd Active Member

Mine doesn't need a tune right now but I got the tools and the know how.
    I also just set my carbs up stock, too many variables to experiment and that cuts deep into the ride time!!!
    If your going to be in St. Johns AZ and only need a sync and color tune, just give me a PM, we'll set up a time.
    :)

4. KanesSon

KanesSon Member

I'm back... Still interested in a tune up one of these days, so whos up for it?

5. Hvnbnd

Hvnbnd Active Member

Where ya been?

It's peretty darn cold up here now......
    It will have to be after the holidays, between the holidays and work there are 2 elk hunts that I need to take some folks on.

After that, even if you want to trailer or truck it!? Up to you.

6. KanesSon

KanesSon Member

I've been pretty busy with work and recovering from that little spill that tore a few muscles in my ankle. I also didnt have a computer for a while, thankfully I've got a new one.

I should really get my jeep together and do some duck huntin up there.... I miss duck hunting :-( its been too long.

7. Hvnbnd

Hvnbnd Active Member

Used to be my favorite hunting, until, a friend of mine got Lymes from it and came real close to checking out.
    Gave it up about 10 yrs ago. Also pi$$e$ me off that AZ wants to seel a stamp in addition to the Fed.

But I am going Elk hunting next Friday.

We're feeling lucky!?!

8. KanesSon

KanesSon Member

Well, I'm more available now than I was before, and in more of a need as well. Is there any interest from anyone else at this point in time?

9. KanesSon

KanesSon Member

Role Call?

10. Robert

Robert Active Member

I would have to plan it between semesters. I don't want to have to ride like an idiot to make it down there on Friday night, wrench Saturday, and have to head home Sunday morning. If I can find a three day weekend, I'll pony up.

11. Russxlr8s

Russxlr8s Member

If you guys in Arizona or SW would really like to learn carbs or have me hold a clinic I could do that. Right now I'm out of work so I have time as my business just tanked.

But we'd have to do it soon as it's getting warmer. I have the tools,
    a 4 rack vacuum gauges for syncin' and do all my own work.
    I started drag racing bikes since 1986 and do all my own work on my cars and bikes.

I did a picture document and write up on the skipping 2nd gear fix and how to undercut gears on the 1100 motor years ago.

I can't offer accomdations but there is a KOA camp ground just about 6 miles from my house for visitors.

I may be redoing an XJ750 soon, but I'd offer to tear down my 1100's carbs and go threw them with a group, plus I have a lot of documentation on CV carbs I could hand out.

Dig out the Barbie, throw some burgers on and make a day or 2 on a weekend of a learning curve to some fella's that are among the amature ranks of mechanichood.

12. Robert

Robert Active Member

Hmm... tempting. Got a buddy in Tempe I haven't seen in 8 years (married with a little girl now, we keep in touch). Mommy seems agreeable, time frame is an issue. Any ideas?

13. KanesSon

KanesSon Member

I am game any weekend (so it appears).

Rob, whats keeping you from coming, school work or both?

Anyone else up for a little bit of wrenching fun? I really want to get my carbs tip top. I pulled them off to get at my cam chain tensioner, and could see some caramel like coloring on the inside. I know nothing of carbs, but it makes me uneasy.

Also, I will see if I cannot snag a spare set of carbs that I saw sitting in a junk yard today for cheap, and then see if I cannot turn them into a nice set of backups.

14. Robert

Robert Active Member

Little of both. Boss is hot for folks to put off vacations and so on for at least the next year (we're hip deep in development, deadlines looming), and school two nights a week with the attendant homework make taking off a real challenge.

15. Russxlr8s

Russxlr8s Member

I'd like to see at least 5 confirmed people that would like to do this that will show, and I'd rather get it done before the end of April. I'm available for any weekend, but at least 5 people need to organize between themselves what weekend they are free to get together.

Believe me I know how these things go, and I put a lot of work into arranging things as I like doing things for others, but I get burned a lot. I've tried putting rides together for the Vmax group, even a company picnic for a bunch of coworkers who always complained of never getting to do something like that and what I see is things usually fizzle out, or no one shows, which really is irratating for a person who plans stuff or puts information together for people.

I rented a public park's pavillion with tables, cooked up a bunch of burgers years ago, and 1 person came. I thought I'd learned my lesson to not do things for people, but I still enjoy making some new friends with common interests, I just have reservations for doing something like this unless a lot of people respond with great interest.

16. Robert

Robert Active Member

I'll have to politely pass, as much as I wish I could commit. I just don't have the confidence that I could make it owing to work and school. Thank you for making the effort Russxlr8s, I hope that I will be able to make it to a future effort.

17. schmuckaholic

schmuckaholic Well-Known Member

I've got a friend out there as well (in Mesa); he keeps wanting me to move out there and work with him, and one day I just might do that.

My work schedule is somewhat flexible at the moment, however, my "weekends" are in the middle of the week, and years ago I swore off riding the bike to Phoenix. I've ridden there and back in the summer. I've ridden there in the dry, and home in the rain. But it was the seven hour ride home after Thanksgiving in sub-40 degree temperatures that made me say "Never Again".

18. Russxlr8s

Russxlr8s Member

LOL, I can understand that. Back about 91' I went between San Diego and Phoenix in the summer, (5 hour drive truckin pretty good), so I left really early like 4 am to get in Phoenix before it was too far over 100.
    Then got in a Sand Storm coming back and had to sit under a bridge for an hour, I'd never been pelted that bad in my life before.

Yet my 4500mile trip in 2000 had nothing but perfect weather for 2 weeks, who can tell.

19. schmuckaholic

schmuckaholic Well-Known Member

I used to take Interstate 10. One time I got out past Indio, and they were resurfacing the interstate. With oil and stones. (You see where this is going.)

Then there was the butterfly migration that one trip...

20. Robert

Robert Active Member

I got caught in a butterfly migration once as well, what a mess! Black car covered with yellow guts, ick!