1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Spin-on oil filter for XJ900F

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by Dave in Ireland, May 27, 2019.

1. Dave in Ireland

Dave in Ireland Well-Known Member

Got around to addressing the oil leak from the XJ cooler take-off plate behind the filter mounting. There was a factory original o-ring (one of the big ones) right at the back that had never been off in more than 20 years, I think. Not one that would normally be changed, tbh, if it's not leaking anyway, so meh. Hard as wood and simply gave up. Took the opportunity to change the small o-rings on the pipes to the cooler too, as they were well flat and had been blobbed with silicone.

Pt2 A couple of years ago I bought a spin-on filter and short hollow bolt along with the seating for the filter. Tried to roughly fit it, but could see it wasn't quite there. This was crawling on the floor and cricking my neck so didn't get a really adequate look closely at it.
    This has all changed with the appearance of a proper bike lift - now I can see what exactly is going on.
    Then had a closer look at what was obstructing the fitment of a spin-on filter. Nothing much, just 3mm of extra thickness in a central securing bolt (the big hollow one that holds the whole assembly on). If I thin the head of that down, there's still plenty of thickness on the head and still lots of thread to accept the spin-on adapter.

Yamaha used almost the exact same layout on the Divvy, just changed it in detail, replacing the short central bolt with a long one (with collar) and then in a design change moving the shoulder that seperates the cooler side from the filter side flow from the bolt to the take-off casting. Probably cheaper to produce and fewer parts to get wrong or lost.

If I don't have success in thinning down the short hollow bolt, I'll buy a used early/late Divvy 900 oil cooler adapter plate which has the chamber-seperating shoulder no longer as a collar on the bolt, but is cast into the adapter plate itself, meaning that re-assembly is a doddle.
    Tomorrow, I'll try the first part have a closer look (again) as the short central hollow bolt to see if I can safely take about 3mm off the thickness of the head.

2. Dave in Ireland

And... done.
    filter fitted 01.jpg

Franz likes this.
  3. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

Cheers for the info Dave. That is just what I needed to know I am going to use the parts off the 900 Divvy. I think all the bolts are 1.5 pitch threads.

4. chacal

chacal Moderator Moderator Supporting Vendor Premium Member

Dave, what is a "doddle"?

It sounds important!

5. Dave in Ireland

Doddle / dawdle - a walk in the park, a stroll down to the pub or nearest shop, or even just a wander around the back garden just for the sake of it.

6. 50gary

50gary Active Member

Doodle; meaning easy, easy peasy, like falling down.
    I need a spin on adaptor for my '82 750 maxim.
    Cheers, 50gary