1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

St. Louis Carb Clinic - 3rd Edition

Discussion in 'Central US and Canada' started by kgriff, Mar 1, 2009.

1. kgriff

kgriff New Member

It's time to start thinking about our annual St. Louis Carb Clinic. So I just wanted to get this thread started.

I'll be more than happy to host again this year. However, gwh57 if you want to host (you mentioned it before) just let me know.

I'm thinking that early May might be the best time for me. Let me know who all is interested and what you think.

2. Kendall

Kendall Member

Hello, I would love to come to something like this.
    I recently acquired a 1982 XJ750 Maxim.
    I am fairly new to working on the carbs.
    I do have a 4 port Morgan Carbtune, a colortune with 14mm plug & should have an sonic cleaner sometime this week. I would be happy to bring them along if they are needed.
    I am located about 40 miles west of St.Louis.

Thanks,

Kendall

3. rhys

rhys Member

I'd be interested. My apologies for not seeing this post. I don't have a lot of free time for the Intarwebz lately. (Ironically, been doing a LOT of stuff to the bikes instead...)

I'm in Columbia, but I have family in STL who would be happy to see me (and the bike), so I'm sure I could come there if you still hold one of these.

4. rhys

rhys Member

Hey Kendall, I have the same situation with the same bike. 82 Maxim 750 that has never run since I got it. One of the last things to do is clean up the carbs. We should compare notes.

5. Kendall

Kendall Member

Hey, I would love to see one of these. My bike is not legal to ride yet, but I have bought a bunch of tools, and even made a few.

I know Cturek is in the area also maybe we can set a Saturday aside & get together. I may have to borrow a truck or just bring my carbs hehe.

Kgriff said he would host one just have not heard from him since he started the thread. Lets give it a bit & see who else we can get interested.

6. rhys

rhys Member

Now that's not a bad idea. I'll have to see who might be willing to lend me a truck on reasonably short notice. It would be really cool to drag the 750 up there and have it fire up for the first time for you guys. :)

Not that it would be wise to ride it, seeing as the brakes are completely shot and the tires are pressurized death, but it would be great to get her heart pumping, if only for a little while.

7. Kendall

Kendall Member

I did just order some tires. Also some tires spoons just in case I need them. I am gonna check with a local tire place they may do bike tires too.

My local Yamaha dealer wants over $80 to mount and balance 2 tires if I bring the wheels & tires in.

So I may be doing the mount myself, balance alone is only $10, so I may have them do that.

I am gonna order my brake stuff from Chacal probably Thursday or Friday depending on funds.

Maybe we can pick a weekend & do brakes tires & carbs. We always got the manual & the internet for reference.

8. cturek

cturek Member

Count me in. I should have mine road worthy shortly. I'm still having some high idle issues I'm trying to correct. Anywhere would be OK with me.

9. kgriff

kgriff New Member

Unfortunately this discussion took too long to develop for early May to work out. I may be able to do Saturday May 16th or Sunday May 17th. However, that is really iffy at that. Therefore we may be talking mid June at the earliest. And I would really like for gwh57 to be there. I'll try again to get a response from him.

10. Kendall

Kendall Member

That will work for me. I know I am busy whatever weekend is closest to June 29th

I hope to be able to ride my bike to any in June :)

Now that we at least have some interest. We can work out a meeting time and place.

We can even see who just wants to get together see what else we can get fixed up on our bikes.

11. jetchaser

jetchaser Member

What happens at one of these clinics? Is there an "expert" to show us what to do? I would love to learn more on carb maintenance.

12. rhys

rhys Member

Yeah, that's the idea. One or more people who know what they're doing show the rest of us noobs how to adjust/tune/sync/clean/rebuild carbs.

What I'd like to see is a short list of spare parts to bring - like float bowl gaskets - for things that are known for falling apart the first time one opens up the carbs, thus leaving one stranded in St. Louis with a bike that won't run. ;)

13. rknight68

rknight68 New Member

Just purchased an 82 xj750 maxim 12K miles on Sat. I live in warrenton, MO and would definately attend something like this.

14. seblo_13

seblo_13 New Member

Just curious if this event is still scheduled to go on in mid June? I live in Oklahoma but wouldn't mind heading that way for such a great opportunity. Just bought an 82 XJ650 a few days ago.

15. Kendall

Kendall Member

Have not set a date yet.

Stay tuned.

16. jetchaser

jetchaser Member

I would like to attend!

17. dirticops

dirticops Member

I would also like to attend, I am about an hour south of the Lou just let me know the date. I will just have to bring the carbs due to the fact that the bike is still in pieces.

Thanks

18. DeMentedToys

DeMentedToys Member

This is a really old topic, revieved it seems... But yeah, Im interested in a carb clinic in STL too!!