1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

starter clutch issues

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by soslow93, Aug 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wizard

wizard Active Member

Rick, so next time someone asks about a quick fix for the starter clutch, you won't be saying " there is a possible, if your smart enough to pull it off" ?

2. RickCoMatic

RickCoMatic Well-Known Member

If he's nearby; I'll just tell him to load it into a truck and bring it over.
    I think there's a way we might be able to make short work of it.
    I'll rummage around until I find the tape I recorded the interview on.
    We'll give it a shot.
    One guy says he did more than Pins and Rollers.
    That's interesting.
    And we'll dig in and get her done. Short way or long way.
    See how it works out.

3. wizard

wizard Active Member

starter clutch

You can't lock that thread, Rick, I'm not finished yet, you crossed the line & I want an apology.

4. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

Re: starter clutch

I've got to agree.

What the heck, Rick?

I've requested over and over to have valuable "how-to's" locked and stickied or moved to "FAQ Final" and it never happens. "Airhead Valve Adjustment" is like 9 pages long now.

Now you're on the losing end of a spirited debate over the viability of a particular service procedure and the thread suddenly gets locked to prevent any more discourse on the matter?

That, Mr. Massey sir, is not honorable behaviour, nor is it what we'd expect from you. Quite frankly, I'm flabbergasted.

For shame.

5. RudieDelRude

RudieDelRude Member

Aside from the angst, I'm interested in the outcome of someone trying this and determining if its possible. It's been said by 1 person on the forums that they did it, and then he disappeared without any proof, and a yamaha tech that for all we know could have been blowing smoke.

6. bigfitz52

Rudie; You've got a 550, don't even worry about it. The starter clutch is virtually the same part as the bigger bikes, which means it's way "overdesigned" for the 550s. As long as you keep the motor in a good state of tune and run the correct oil, chances of you having a starter clutch problem are slim and none.

I don't know that I've ever seen anybody with a cracked one from a 650 even, unless that's where Polock's came from. The odd 750 here and there, or the 900s. On the other hand, they're nowhere near as notorious for that as the Virago (or the XV920R.) The big V-twins were horribly hard on that design.

And that's another reason that this "debate" is pretty much moot to begin with. RARELY do only the rollers and springs need replacing; the repair is usually done because the housing cracked. And you sure as heck ain't gonna get the housing out through a hole that's about half its diameter.

Angst, schmangst. Rick the Ornery shouldn't have locked the other thread. I'm still in shock.

7. SnoSheriff

SnoSheriff Site Owner Staff Member Administrator

Merged and unlocked the thread

8. SnoSheriff

SnoSheriff Site Owner Staff Member Administrator

9. wizard

wizard Active Member

I am the only person that can truly claim to have carried out a shortcut for replacing the starter clutch, the problem is, I wouldn't recommend the method to anyone. :eek:(

10. RickCoMatic

In an effort to put this to rest; I made a call to YAMAHA.
    I received a return call from YAMAHA Motor's NorthEast District Technical Services Representative.

We spoke of the alleged Starter Clutch Short and the storm of controversy it ignited.
    He told me the YAMAHA has an incentives program for Time Saving Service Procedures submitted for all processes that would be an appreciable time saving alternative to recommended practices.

The process outlined to me, in an interview with a Yamaha Technician, DOES NOT APPEAR in any database, at the present and going back to the introduction of the XJ Series Models.

Based on this new information; the process is NOT recommended.

Oddly enough, there are several Post appearing in our Archives, which claim that a Member did follow the process in the ALLEGED Shortcut and was successful.

The advice given to me from YAMAHA's NorthEast Technical Adviser is to advise the Membership the process is NOT KNOWN to him and should NOT be recommended.

Despite claims of success appearing in these Archives, and relying on the YAMAHA's review and recommendations:

The Starter Clutch Shortcut is NOT RECOMMENDED.

11. RickCoMatic

Starter Clutch Shortcut "NOT Recommended" YAMAHA Motors USA

In an effort to put this to rest; I made a call to YAMAHA.
    I received a return call from YAMAHA Motor's NorthEast District Technical Services Representative.

We spoke of the alleged Starter Clutch Short and the storm of controversy it ignited.
    He told me the YAMAHA has an incentives program for Time Saving Service Procedures submitted for all processes that would be an appreciable time saving alternative to recommended practices.

The process outlined to me, in an interview with a Yamaha Technician, DOES NOT APPEAR in any database, at the present and going back to the introduction of the XJ Series Models.

Based on this new information; the process is NOT recommended.

Oddly enough, there are several Post appearing in our Archives, which claim that a Member did follow the process in the ALLEGED Shortcut and was successful.

The advice given to me from YAMAHA's NorthEast Technical Adviser is to advise the Membership the process is NOT KNOWN to him and should NOT be recommended.

Despite claims of success appearing in these Archives, and relying on the YAMAHA's review and recommendations:

The Starter Clutch Shortcut is NOT RECOMMENDED.

12. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

"RECOMMENDED" isn't the right word, it should be "POSSIBLE"

13. darkfibre

darkfibre Member

Re: Starter Clutch Shortcut "NOT Recommended" YAMAHA Motors USA

Actually the response from Yamaha does not really mean much.

As a factory trained mechanic (car) in the 80s, I submitted many such ideas - there was even a money incentive.

Most were not taken on, but because the I thought my suggestions were brilliant and time saving, I followed up the rejected ideas.

In a nutshell, if the factory thought it was beyond the skills of the average technician, it would not consider the procedure.

Keyhole surgery is out of the skill set of the average tech.

As for the starter clutch, I have no comment at the moment, but will have soon as I will be assembling my big bore engine soon, and will also have the current engine coming out to try it on. If it can be done, I will take pics.

14. RudieDelRude

RudieDelRude Member

Yeah I do believe the issue was whether it was physically possible or not. Not if yamaha recognized or recommended it.

15. schmuckaholic

schmuckaholic Well-Known Member

Suggestion: take pics anyway, even if it can't be done. That way, you can illustrate why it doesn't work. You could even do a writeup on it. :mrgreen:

16. wizard

wizard Active Member

You are not putting the matter to rest Rick, you are just obfuscating.

17. RudieDelRude

RudieDelRude Member

Is there a reason this was double posted? Snosheriff merged the two topics of this issue, and now there's another seperate one.

18. wizard

wizard Active Member

Mr Sheriff will probable merge this one as well.

19. bigfitz52

Could we come back to the original issue?

Which is whether or not this likely futile repair is even possible? It's a way to supposedly replace the rollers and springs; but why?

Honestly, I think it's a moot point. And not just because both the fiche and photographic evidence support the impossibilty of the task--

I've never heard any evidence of anyone ever having to replace JUST rollers and springs. Every time I've seen this repair documented a broken clutch body was discovered; cracked at the slots for the springs and rollers. Further, I'm personally aware of two instances of guys having to make the repair on V-twin Yammies, and in both cases the clutch body was split at the slots.

The simple fact of the matter is, you're not going to "keyhole" a new clutch body in there.

And, since you CAN'T SEE it, how would you know it was broken unless you took it all apart anyway? (Unless you bashed in the roof, the Wiz method.)

I'd rather discuss something a tad more practical; like is it possible to replace the "primary" chain guide on a 650/750/900 without splitting the cases?

THAT'S one I'd like a definitive answer to.

20. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

but book-time is book-time, and if they can have a short-cut to fix something, they'll do it. That way they can do a quick fix and still charge book-timel If they can fix a proverbial three in less time than listed as book, they can charge for three and make three times the money in less than a third of the time.

dave

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.