1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Starter question

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by waldreps, Mar 11, 2016.

1. waldreps

waldreps Active Member

I have a quick starter question. I've had my '82 XJ650 for a couple of years now, and it's always paused when I hit the start button. I turn the key on, turn the cutoff switch on, and then press the button to start it. There's always a 1 or 2 second pause before it starts turning over. Is that normal? It has always started although the first start of the year takes several tries and seems to indicate that the battery is getting weak. I've got a new AGM battery on the way but was just curious about the pause when hitting the button. Does this indicate anything being wrong with the starter or solenoid? Thanks.

2. Stumplifter

Stumplifter Well-Known Member

Could be a number of things.
    When you get your new battery take some time and clean all of the connections in your starter circuit (and all your ground connections - look under your left side cover), add a dab of die-electric grease when reassembling. The afore mentioned includes taking apart you starter button and cleaning the contacts within. Be careful! If memory serves me there is a small spring in there that likes to sproing out and bounce across the garage floor when disassembled.

After you do that report back - if the delay persists there are smart electrical wizards here that can guide you through more in depth trouble shooting ideas.

3. waldreps

waldreps Active Member

Ok, thanks. I'll try that.

4. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

chacal sells replacement button and spring , he also sels the push button assembly for the starter button.
    I had the problem you discribed until i cleaned the switch and connectors at the harness under my tank problem solved.
    could also be a dirty motor ground from the battery cable there is a motor and frame connection off of the battery cable
    crocus cloth works good then dielectric grease
    it could also be the connections on the solenoid and the starter just be careful if you remove the wire on the starter thath bolt can snap or break the insulator into the starter case.
    you will want the neg cable disconnected to prevent sparks

Last edited: Mar 11, 2016
  5. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

it could also be starter brushes that are near the wear-limit.

6. waldreps

waldreps Active Member

Thanks for the responses. I'll check and clean connections, grounds, and the starter button switch. So the pause that mine does is not normal right. Does everybody else get the engine turning over the instant you press the starter button?

7. k-moe

The starter should turn the moment you press the button.

8. waldreps

waldreps Active Member

OK, that's what I thought k-moe... Just wanted to make sure. I'll post back when I get time to clean and check stuff. Thanks.

9. Mustang

Mustang Member

On my bike the starter solenoid is worn out. Have to push the button a few times but if I put a screwdriver on the bolts it spins right away

10. waldreps

waldreps Active Member

Update: I checked my grounds and connections and everything looked good except for the battery connections and the positive connection at the solenoid. I cleaned those with a wire brush till they looked good. I put my old battery back in and tried the starter button. It works normally now. I borrowed a compression gauge from O'Reilly Auto Parts to check my compression before I do things like going through the carbs, rebuilding the clutch and starter, etc. When I did the test, my starter just sounded tired even with the new battery in there. I put the old battery back in first so that I could compare it to the new battery. The new battery made a little bit of difference but not as much as I expected. I'm thinking that my old battery is probably still good. Oh well, I have a nice AGM battery now. Thanks for the help. I'm going to start a new post about my compression numbers.

XJ550H and Stumplifter like this.
  11. Mnoehre

Mnoehre New Member

I was having similar symptoms with my bike. I cleaned and check all the grounds, but the starter sounds weak. How many starting attempts do you usually get before the battery dies? I ended up buying one of those portable jumper packs and used it on the bike, I've never heard the starter crank so fast and healthy before. Maybe the starter or alternator brushes are work down? Any ideas?

12. k-moe

If you have never inspected the starter brushes go ahead and do so. At the very least you'll probably need to clean the carbon dust from the motor (use electric motor cleaner so you dont' damage the laquer on the armature coils). It would also be a good idea to inspect the alternator brushes and clean the copper rings with a hard eraser. Both sets of brushes have wear markers so you can see how much life they have in them.

13. waldreps

waldreps Active Member

Mnoehre, with my old battery I would only get 2 or 3 good start attempts before it started dragging enough that it didn't seem to be going fast enough to start it. During warm weather, my bike always starts on the first attempt but the first start of the season or when it's a little colder, it takes a few times. I always thought this was my battery starting to die but maybe it's my starter needing to be rebuilt. I've tested the old battery as much as I could and it tested fine but with only 2 or 3 start attempts before the starter slows considerably, I went ahead and bought a new AGM battery. During my compression test (with a battery charger hooked to the battery), it sounded a little better than the old one (hooked up the same way with the battery charger) but not much. We'll see how it does when I rebuild the starter and start the bike up. I also cleaned up a couple of connections so that will probably help.