1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Starter Removal: FJ-600

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by ChicoJim, Dec 30, 2009.

1. ChicoJim

ChicoJim Member

Okay: time for me to do the Starter Brushes on my (new to me) FJ-600. I'm told the engine in this bike is a very close cousin to the Seca 550.

I see the Starter Motor underneath the carbs. That's no problem. My question is: can you remove the starter, entirely, without removing the carburetors? It looks like there's enough room.

Seems that just removing 3 bolts on the left side of the engine (left, when you're sitting on the bike), and you could lift up the left end of the starter, wiggle it a bit, and then pull it out the left side of the bike... all this without disturbing the carbs? Is this possible?

THANKS for replies - I mean it!

2. markie

markie Member

The Haynes manual says "Remove shift lever and sprocket cover bolts - disconnect starter cable and unbolt starter. Lift slightly upwards when removing".

Have not done this myself though! If you google free manual download, you'll find one!

3. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

Should be no problem pulling the starter without pulling the carbs; at least on the 550s you don't have to. You may need to remove the primary sprocket cover, although I don't believe that's even necessary, I'm pretty sure you can lift the starter clear of the edge of the cover.

How many miles on the FJ?

4. ChicoJim

ChicoJim Member

Hey thanks for the tips!

Just over 52,000 miles on the FJ. I was amazed when I pulled the carbs apart. Zero wear on the throttle slides, everything cleaned up like brand new. Neat little bike!

5. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

Aaah, OK. Was worried you might be chasing your tail on the starter brushes, but not at 52K. Be sure to check the alternator brushes too; book says 10K but mine looked brand-new at 18K and are fine at 25K so it might be time...