1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Starting issue/Oil light.

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Jwg88, May 1, 2009.

1. Jwg88

Jwg88 New Member

When I push the starter button the oil light comes on and the starter dosen't even crank.

When I jump the starter with a seperate switch the PO installed ( probably becasue of this oil light reason) It will crank but not start.

When I turn the key on and jump start the bike it starts and runs beautifully. I hardly even have to move it, I take 3 steps forward and pop the clutch.

Around the time that it stopped starting from the starter jump switch, the headlight stopped working, the lamp itself is fine. There is also no headlight relay installed just a single wire jumping 2 of the 4 connectors on the relay plug.

I can crank it over till the end of time with the starter jump switch and it wont fire, I just put a brand new battery on it and it's not even dropping below 12.5v when cranking. I'm ordering new starter brushes anyway though.

any suggestions?

2. Ace_Frehley

Ace_Frehley Member

You seem to have a wiring issue somewhere. It's normal for the oil light to come on and stay on when the bike is not running. By the sound of it, the original starter button stopped working at some point and the PO by-passed it, and now the by-pass has stopped working. SO stark by checking the wiring from the new switch - which I would bet is somewhere tied into your headlight problem.

God bless previous owners and their complete butchery of all things electrical!

3. MiCarl

MiCarl Active Member

Ace has it right EXCEPT headlight on a 650 Maxim won't come on until the engine starts. Don't worry about the headlight until it's running.

4. Jwg88

Jwg88 New Member

No but here's the kicker, mine SHOULD come on. I don't have a headlight relay. I have the empty headlight relay plug, with a wire jumping the Blue/Black and Red/Yellow. So the headlight turns on when the key is on.

I THINK it's a diode, Because I checked all my grounds and did about an hour of wiggle testing tonight and couldn't find any problem.

Also: It decided to start today, with the original starter button, on the first try. So I'm literally friggin' baffled as to why it was acting wonky before.

5. sgknies

sgknies Member

My xj is starting to have this very same problem without the PO messing with the electrical. I turn on the key and the neutral light comes on. I press the starter button and the oil light comes on, but no start. I let go and the oil light goes off. I repeat this process anywhere from 3-100 times and then suddenly, the starter will kick over and the engine fires up immediately. Has anyone found a cause for this symptom yet?

6. MN-Maxims

MN-Maxims St. Paul Minnesota

Check the starter solenoid when you push the start button do you get a click from the solenoid? check for power on the small wire when you push the button, if not you'll have to trace back through the harness to the safety relay all the way back to the start button.

MN

7. sgknies

sgknies Member

There is a mild 'click' noise that comes from the solenoid. If I take a picture of the solenoid, could you put an arrow on the wire to check for power that you are talking about and resubmit it? Normally I'm up to a mechanical challenge...but when it comes to electrical, I tend to be in the dark.

8. DeMentedToys

DeMentedToys Member

Nothing like pulling up an old topic but did anyone figure this out? My 83 XJ750 Maxim, 30,000 miles is doing the same thing. Pushing the start button causes the headlight to dim, the oil light to come on, but no attempt to start. Checked connections, replaced the solenoid twice. The solenoid works on my other XJ. I can also start the bike by shorting the solenoid. Everything else is working properly.

9. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

OK, so now you've dragged up two old threads so you could ask for help with your 750 Max.

Your answer lies in both of the threads you resurrected. Start a new one and I'll jump in with your answer. If the oil light comes on instead of the engine cranking, it has a definite meaning (at least it does on the 550s.)

10. DeMentedToys

DeMentedToys Member

This thread is now resurected. I would rather resurect than have multi threads on the same topic. I think I have traced it down through the wiring schematic + retesting everything, to the start circuit cut off relay. If you have an solution, please share it.

I just swapped the relay with another from a parts bike and now the start button starts the bike. Hoping a bad relay was the issue.

If there is a forum rule about searching and resurecting old topics instead of starting new ones, I didn't know about it. Usually people freak out when I start a new topic that has already been addressed..... Sorry to ruffle your feathers. Just trying to get bikes fixed.

11. mtnbikecrazy55

mtnbikecrazy55 Active Member

check the clutch lever connection/switch, as well as the neutral switch and sidestand switch. your problem more than likely lies there in the safety circut.

bike wont start in gear with out the clutch pulled in or with the sidestand down while the bike is in gear.

12. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

It's not a rule, just courtesy. Neither of the bikes in the threads you resurrected were 750 Maxims.

The answer is indeed the safety circuit. On most of these bikes, if the safety circuit is "deployed" you'll get a red light on the dash when you mash the button instead of the motor turning over. (The "oil" light.)

For one reason or another, the bike "thinks" the sidestand is down and/or it's in gear. If it does it with the clutch pulled in, then it thinks the sidestand is down, assuming your clutch switch is working. (It will start in gear with the clutch in, as long as the sidestand is up.) If it knows it's in neutral, it doesn't care about the sidestand.

-Sidestand switch
    -Sidestand relay
    -Neutral switch
    -Clutch switch
    -Safety cutoff relay
    -Fusebox/wiring involving any of the above.

13. DeMentedToys

DeMentedToys Member

Im working on a XJ550 and a XJ750. Very similar issues with both. Except replacing the Start Circuit Cut Off Relay fixed the XJ750... XJ550 still wont start. Don't know if I should start a new thread now or what... With the 550 sometimes if you honk the horn it will start via the start button. It also starts up when I short the solenoid. I tried swapping out all the relays with those from a running XJ550 that I also have sitting here and still no luck. Now that the 750 is fully functional we are fully focused on this 550.