1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Stripped Camshaft Sprocket Bolt Threads

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Ryan Leigh, Oct 28, 2020.

1. Ryan Leigh

Ryan Leigh New Member

Went to put my 650 back together, torque wrench never clicked(harbor freight bad?), and now the bolts spin in place. How do I get them out.

Attached Files:

2. FJ111200

FJ111200 Active Member

Try and grab the bolt head with a stud extractor and twist it out. Might be a bit difficult with the camshaft shoulder in the way.
    Or grab the bolt head with a vice grip and twist and pull.
    Maybe a bit of leverage with a screwdriver and a 10mm socket spanner turning the bolt at the same time.
    Drilling a hole at the back of the bolt may just put enough pressure on it to force it out.
    If any of that works just hope the bolt is stripped and not the camshaft sprocket shoulder.

That last idea about drilling a hole, once you get a hole started well enough then reverse the drill in the direction of the thread.
    Senior moment going on.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2020
  3. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

If the sprocket thread is stripped someone may have a spare sprocket.

4. JBurch

JBurch Active Member

I would not use a drill on this, I'm thinking metal shavings into the engine. Try using a punch and hammer to tap the bolt out, turn it at the same time to back it out, might catch a thread and it might come out, don't use kill shots. I like the idea of prying with a screw driver and spinning the bolt out, or tap on the end of the bolt and spin at the same time. From what I have been able to gather, the bolt threads into the cam shaft, the hole in the sprocket is just a thru hole. When you get the bolts out get a thread chaser, NOT A TAP; you do not want to cut metal hear, if you did, you could wreck you camshafts. If threads in cam are buggered, try a Heicoil. Good luck!!!

Franz likes this.
  5. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

Jim you are right the bolt does thread into the camshaft, I just rebuilt my engine should have remembered that lol.

6. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

start looking for a camshaft, that ain't no place to take chances