1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Surging while under enrichment

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Door dude, Jul 15, 2018.

1. Door dude

Door dude Active Member Premium Member

My point exactly.

2. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

just for schlitz 'n giggles try turning enrichment off while this is happening

k-moe likes this.
  3. Door dude

I have, she struggles to stay running.

4. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

Loose jet rolling around in a bowl?
    Needle loosened from slide?
    Develop a pinhole in a diaphragm?
    Beanie caps clogged?

Etc....

k-moe likes this.
  5. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

but it runs good when warmed up

6. Door dude

Yes sir, idle is normal after warmed up and throttle blip (and) return is good.

7. PJC750

PJC750 Member

Hi Jeff,
    Old thread but new question...."enrichment jet in the bottom of the bowl"(im lost).
    The bowl as I understand it has 2 holes(bottom drain) and a tiny hole on the lip of the bowl that receives a
    long thin tube from the carb(this one is a bear to clean and I confirmed it was clean by shining a flashlight into the base of bowl and saw a pinhole of light(after lots of poking cleaning and cursing)).
    I still get hi revs on choked startup,but am thinking I have to go back, pull the carbs and reclean the Pilot jet? I also have the issue of it started up ok with 1/2 choke, let idle for 2 min...then tried to apply throttle and she died.
    Keep in mind to I started it after sitting in garage for 3 mos.

8. PJC750

PJC750 Member

Also throttle mechanical response is snappy,no hangups

9. Chitwood

Chitwood Well-Known Member

I could be wrong here so bear with me, but as I understand it's normal for the rpms to be high after starting on enrichment. You just keep backing the enrichment lever off until she's warm enough to idle without the extra fuel from the enrichment circuit. I'm no carb guru, or guru in general for that matter. If you're having trouble with a warm idle then I'd suspect an issue in the pilot circuit. I would also suspect that if your sync and colortune(tune, pilot mix screws) are off far enough that it may exacerbate certain issues. I'm sure an actual guru will be along shortly

Door dude likes this.
  10. PJC750

PJC750 Member

Thanks for replying. I was actually surprised how nicely it idled(1100) after I pulled her down from the revving 4k rpms. My choke is sensitive it's like choke open or choke closed, in a very small range of adjustment(say 1/4") , …..but then I got excited and said isn't this nice, touched the throttle to gradually increase rpms and it just died.

11. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

the carb bowl has a enrichment well in it the brass tube slides in the wall of the carb bowl it draws fuel up from holes that are in the bottom of carb bowl. if you spray cleaner down into the tube well it should spray out the hole in the bottom of the bowl.

when choke is used as bike warms up rpm increases above idle setting, it should or can rev quite high. if you break your throttle cable you can use the choke to limp home or someplace safe to fix it

warm bike up for another minute

12. PJC750

PJC750 Member

Hah, well I have been using the choke most of my rides! I keep it a little open so it doesn't die at stop signs, at least until I have it running right. Usually when I sprayed the cleaner in the hole...it would come back out and try to give me a bath. It would be cool to see a diagram of the direction of that port ...I just keep poking around with guitar wire until it's clear...but I can see how that port can get gummed up fast. I guess the ethanol is the problem. Other forum member said he adds 50/50 Murphys/Stabil(8oz) to a tank o gas......Another guy said try 50/50 carb cleaner/acetone(just the bowls), while another used seafoam in the bowls only(run, let sit overnight, drain, reapply and drain again. Honestly ...I don't think anything but mechanical cleaning gets that bowl line clean. If you stick a wire in there, it doesn't come out the other side(like jet cleaning, one has to check to see that pinhole, AND see the carb cleaner come shooting out in the 9ft stream, well away from your face, or your helper. : > I will be draining and pulling the bowls just to see what has happened over 6 mos, with 93 Octane gas.
    Did you see my shim measurements??

13. PJC750

PJC750 Member

14. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

15. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

i don't either. but if that jet were plugged the choke on that carb wouldn't have any effect, it's plugged.
    if i start my 750 and go 1/2 mile to the first stop sign it stutters pulling out, by the next stop, 1.5 miles farther it's good. it takes these a while to warm completely up. try opening the mixture screws about 1/8 turn and see what that does.

XJ550H likes this.
  16. PJC750

PJC750 Member

I just installed the shims Chacal sent me.
    I then seated mixture screws 1-3 to 2.75 turns( to start). Mixture screw 4 seems to have some kind of brass plug, should that come out
    QUOTE="Polock, post: 617882, member: 782"]i don't either. but if that jet were plugged the choke on that carb wouldn't have any effect, it's plugged.
    if i start my 750 and go 1/2 mile to the first stop sign it stutters pulling out, by the next stop, 1.5 miles farther it's good. it takes these a while to warm completely up. try opening the mixture screws about 1/8 turn and see what that does.[/QUOTE]

17. PJC750

PJC750 Member

I was thinking that too, but I have heard 2 diff stories..1) shims get worn and thinner, so change them
    2) shims dont get worn, its the valve seats that wear, so one can swap them(re-use)... but what the hell change them anyway?

18. PJC750

PJC750 Member

Do you think 2.75 turns is a good start? Or, now that I corrected the valve shims, should I go back n start with 2.5, and adjust accordingly?

19. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

2.75 is where i start from. the valves might change your mixture a wee bit but there's no way to tell, that's down to splitting hairs.
    if everything else is right, a lean mixture will give you a stutter when you open the throttle. you really need to ride it to get it dialed in.
    they can act perfect in the garage but when you put a load on them with the clutch, the stutter can come back, need more fuel

20. PJC750

PJC750 Member

Sounds good, and thank you.