1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Tail/Stop Light and License Plate Bulbs

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by waldreps, Jun 5, 2016.

1. waldreps

waldreps Active Member

I'm not at home right now and I wanted to swing by Walmart on my way home to see what they have for LED bulbs to replace my tail/stop light and license plate bulbs. Does anybody know the stock bulb #'s for those two on an 82 XJ650 Maxim so I can match them up and see what Walmart has?

Thanks,
    Stacy

2. Yardawg

Yardawg Active Member

My 82 xj750 maxim uses 1157 bulbs. I assume yours will be the same. I changed mine to LEDs also but then noticed it was hard to distinguish the difference between the tail light and the brake light when the brake was applied, so I switched them back to stock.

3. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

LED taililght bulbs need to be chosen carefully for just the reason mentioned above.

4. waldreps

waldreps Active Member

OK I'll do some research...what's the number of the license plate bulb?

5. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

you want a led that lights up red for the brake/tail light

6. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

walmart bulbs worked good for me , they did not have a bulb for lic plate I got the bulb at superbrightleds.com 67-w15 6.95$

7. waldreps

waldreps Active Member

I remember you mentioning this in another thread but didn't remember where it was. Did you get an 1157 bulb from Walmart? Was it the red one or the white one? Polock says to get a red one...just curious what you went with.

8. XJ550H

1157 tail/brake I went with the shorter, cheaper set saved 4$. was not sure the taller one would fit inside the lens
    I will look to see if the are red and white. I think just white. led s looked white,

9. waldreps

waldreps Active Member

At my local Walmart, there's only one brand of LED tail/stop light in the 1157. It's Pilot Automotive and comes in white, red and amber and costs $14.98 for two of them. There's not a shorter or cheaper alternative at my local store.

10. XJOE550

XJOE550 Active Member

I should be getting these today: http://www.walmart.com/ip/47056249. Lots of good reviews on this Slyvania 1157 bulb.

One on the left is the LED (turns off and on instantly), one on the right an incandescent. Will post on the results once I try it.

I converted the LED turn signals already. These LED's are absolutely awesome! http://www.ebay.com/itm/181963147793?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT
    I have enough for both my bikes and car. Used a EP34 flasher from advanced auto parts. I was able to mounted using the OEM rubber mount along with a zip tie. Between the tail light and the turn signals, I will be saving about 3 to 4 amps when both are engaged. I plan on converting all the other bulbs, especially the ones that stay on all the time.

waldreps likes this.
  11. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

The big test for an LED is being able to see it from a distance in bright sunlight.

jayrodoh, micheal wade and XJ550H like this.
  12. micheal wade

micheal wade Member

Not meaning to tread jack
    Is there led headlights available for
    81 xj650 maxim

13. XJOE550

XJOE550 Active Member

I'll test the tail light today if I do pick them up if tropical storm Colin doesn't get in the way (Walmart site to store). I'll post a daylight video if they look like they are worth while. Just noticed I posted the wrong link above. The Walmart link that I bought them from is more than half the price: http://www.walmart.com/ip/47056249. The turn signals 11156's I purchased seem to be very good in daylight. Asked my buddy on a ride Saturday morning on how they appear. He said the looked very bright. Seems like LED's have come along quite a bit in brightness and price in the last couple of years.

14. jayrodoh

jayrodoh YimYam Premium Member

+1. Changed out my wife's brake light for a flashing LED brake/tail bulb and while it looked good in the garage, I was following her one day and the light was barely noticeable in sunlight. Switched back to incandescent and it's all good. Not sure if the bulb or housing is at fault, bulb was purchased from a reputable company with good reviews on the bulb.

15. XJOE550

XJOE550 Active Member

That is no doubt a big concern. I will definitely test it out at varying distances first before I chance my safety to this new technology.

16. XJ550H

Last edited: Jun 6, 2016
  17. Yardawg

Yardawg Active Member

Just for fun I ordered some flat red LED lights that exactly replaced the red reflector on my rear fender (82 750 maxim). Works great and is really bright. Got them on Amazon, from a place called Doinshop. Very inexpensive but took a LONG time to get here!

18. XJ550H

what is the width and length ? 3 wires? . so it is a tail and brake light.
    would be nice to fit on chain box for more brake light
    maybe modulate 1 channel of it for the brakes

Yardawg likes this.
  19. XJOE550

XJOE550 Active Member

Did a test with the new LED's at a distance. Longest distance is about 40 yards. First few seconds are with the lights ignition off. Followed by the running lights on, close and at a distance. Next, a turn signal test, close and at a distance. Finally, a brake light test, close, at a distance, and off / on at a distance. The last segment, I tried showing a few seconds of the tail light at each of the 3 states (off, running light, brake light). This was in pretty strong high noon sun. Seems like it should work. Will get a second opinion next time I ride with my buddy.

Here is the link:

https://flic.kr/p/H1v5qS

20. XJ550H

you should start a thread in the mod forums for a show and tell on led brightness

list the bulbs you used
    bulbs in above video of xjoe550
    LED Test
    1156 27 SMD LED turn singals with ZEVO 1157R LED tail light / brake light.

can you do a second video with the gas tank covered red on red

Last edited: Jun 7, 2016