1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Ted's 2nd '82 XJ750 Maxim bobber project

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by Ted, Oct 20, 2014.

1. Ted

Ted Member

I love it too. :D I got it from ebay. It was only about $35 shipped - you can get it cheaper from China but I only by from US sellers. The main drawback is that it's plastic, not metal but it's fairly sturdy. I also had to shave the mounting ears off of the sides (see pic above) to get the clean look. It was kind of a challenge to keep a smooth line across the bottom but I think it turned out pretty good.

2. Johnny And June

Johnny And June Member

What was it originally for? I'd love to see if i could pick one up.

3. Ted

Ted Member

4. Ted

Ted Member

Done deal. Going up for sale today. Asking $1500.

Pics don't look much different than the last couple sets I guess. Only recent/final updates are:

Moved brake lights closer to frame
    Bullet frame plugs are mounted in with set screws threaded into the inside of the frame
    Muffler mounted & upswept
    Pinstripes on tank & fender
    Carbs cleaned again (polished slides & bores to get rid of hanging idle)

Ted phone 022.jpg Ted phone 023.jpg Ted phone 025.jpg

5. chacal

chacal Moderator Moderator Supporting Vendor Premium Member

Wow, unless there is something really wrong in the mechanicals or performance, that sounds way too cheap! Very nice looking bike, good luck with the sale.

Ted likes this.
  6. Ted

Ted Member

Thanks chacal - definitely means a lot coming from you. I will admit it's not quite as clean as these pictures make it look but it's close. I tend to be very nit picky and there are things that I see wrong with it that most people probably wouldn't notice. Mechanically sound though. You might be right about the price being a little low but I think it's fair. That's what I sold my other bike for (only took 2 days) & it's not exactly the best time of year to sell a bike here in South Dakota since riding season is almost over.

Blake85 likes this.
  7. jayrodoh

jayrodoh YimYam Premium Member

Very nice, I really like this one. I've noticed with XJ bobbers is they either look really good or kind of odd.

Ted likes this.
  8. Ted

Ted Member

Thanks, & I couldn't agree more man. There's some really awkward looking bobbers out there. Not just XJ's either - people do weird shit to all sorts of old metric bikes. The square-ish rear fenders & seat springs up on top of the frame when it's not a true hardtail are the ones that really get me.

9. Ted

Ted Member

Bike is SOLD!:):(

jayrodoh likes this.
  10. Conner808

Conner808 New Member

Looks deadly man. Thx for the detailed updates.

11. BrianM

BrianM New Member

I'm with you, way too cheap!
    I'm going to sell my 81 Midnight Maxim shortly on Cycle Trader. I pulled my NADA and KBB value, I really can't say I agree with the value. Come on, <$1000 bucks for an XJ650LH in good condition, they gotta be kidding. Go buy a nice 650cc bike for less than a $1000! Why are they so discounted, I'd think they would be worth $2000-2500 in good shape. Is it me or does it seem like our bikes are underpriced!?

12. Bike chef

Bike chef New Member

I have an 82 xj750 maxim. I'm looking to replace the grips. Do you know if they are 1" or 7/8". Thanks. I'm a noob.

13. chacal

chacal Moderator Moderator Supporting Vendor Premium Member

7/8"

14. mikeforbes

mikeforbes Member

15. mikeforbes

mikeforbes Member

Love the looks of that bike.... I have a spare Kawasaki KZ750 (1982)., I think I will get that same rear fender and try something as you have done... It already have 4-1 headers, so a stock job is outa the question. Gun black is my choice as well. I would like a front fender as I live on the West coast in Vancouver BC. So the first sign of rain and i would be in a steam with the water/headers. What is the size/width of the solo seat you put on? Is it a production solo seat or did you make it? I would like a bit wider I think... Gaiters on the front forks...

And on the Yammi.... I would have replaced those weird shaped triangle side covers with a cover that actually covered... lol. I saw a couple bikes with custom metal sidecovers made from small gauge Stainless expanded diamond shaped metal. Looked great painted black. http://www.metalsdepot.com/products/stainless2.phtml?page=expanded&LimAcc= &aident=

Last edited: Oct 20, 2015
  16. Loadbrecht

Loadbrecht New Member

When you cut the frame I see you have chrome bullet shaped plugs .
    Where did you get them and what are they ?

17. Loadbrecht

Loadbrecht New Member

I have been looking at a lot of 83 bobbers and this is by far one of the best

Ted likes this.
  18. Ted

Ted Member

Ebay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sea-Dog-286...-Chrome-7-8-/390386935176?hash=item5ae4dfe588

Didn't realize it until just now when I went back to find the link for you but it's actually an end cap for a boat rail. Stainless steel - works great. They fit just a little loose in the frame tube so I drilled a little hole on the inside edge of the tube, tapped some threads, and used a couple of little allen-head set screws to secure them in place.

19. Ted

Ted Member

I agree the factory side covers look a little odd with the solo seat. I thought about the expanded metal option too. I've seen it done well once and seen it get pretty ugly more often than not so I steered away from it. My original plan when I was going to keep the bike was to clean up the wiring and hide the electronics right under the seat, then get the smallest battery possible to stuff in close to the starter and leave the middle of the frame wide open. Kind of like this one but with a much smaller battery (I love this bike):

20. mikeforbes

mikeforbes Member

When I last saw an expanded metal side cover the chap who did it spent the time required to give it a curve that fitted the bike well. He also rolled the edged over to give it a "floating mount", sorta like the original had. No noticeable means of attachment as he used rubber grommets and a pin welded to the frame. So the side covers could pop on and off as the originals sorta did. All in all he said it took him a few tries and a few hours of pounding with a shaped wood in a sand pit to get the right shape. A very well done job in my opinion. I am going to attempt the same.

Add gaiters to any project... I love and use gaiters in all my builds... Even the stock rebuilds I do.

Gaiters (with proper clips) can be had cheaply here:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/181779574426

Last edited: Oct 24, 2015