1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

The Beginning... An Engine Rebuild (Formerly Black Bits in Oil Sump)

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by John Purcell, Oct 31, 2014.

1. John Purcell

John Purcell Member

Alright. I have read every post that I can find on the black chunks that I found when I pulled the Oil Sump last night... I recently acquired a 1982 XJ650RJ Seca with 26k miles. It has been heavily abused by previous owners. The bike had never had the carbs disassembled or cleaned, and the PO ripped out the airbox and velocity stacks and ran the bike stock jetting without any air filtration. The wiring harness has been butchered, fuel tank was 'hammered' in to make it look more 'street fighter' and then bondo'd when that didn't turn out well. Tach was ripped off and thrown away. Clutch cover was broken during previous removal, and PO JB Welded the damage rather than sourcing a new piece.

So, yes, I have my work cut out for me.
    But back to my main concern... The bits of black in the sump are not hard, solid plastic, but soft like hardened rubber. They have pits and grooves much like hardened, packed in ATV gasket compound. From the view I have from the top, I am not able to see any damage, cracks, or chips missing out of any of the chain guides. I am fully aware that my minuscule view from the head does not mean that nothing is fragmenting deeper, but the texture of the pieces does not say chain guide to me. So I took some pics...

Thoughts?

Attached Files:

2. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

those chunks sure look like chain guide and the stuff in the pan is sludge. take that steel plate off, there's more

3. John Purcell

John Purcell Member

Oh yes, there's sludge. Hadn't started cleaning when I took those photos. Oil pump has been remove for cleaning too. Currently in the process of removing the highly mangled oil filter housing bolt.

4. John Purcell

John Purcell Member

On my way to having the engine out of the frame. Only way to find out for sure whether the guides are good or not is to get eyes on 'em. I'm going to check compression before I finish pulling the engine, I want to check that I don't need to replace piston rings while I'm in there.
    I am getting based on reading here that I should just go ahead and replace the chain at the same time, since I'm inside, and I'll probably go ahead and replace the starter clutch too.
    There were some of the black chunks in the oil pump filter, so a thorough cleaning is definitely in order.

Are the chain guides rubberized? Because I cut through some of the chunks I found, and all of them have the texture of rubber, easy to cut with a razor blade, not hard plastic.

Still have to take my impact and bolt extractor to the oil filter bolt, wasn't able to get around to it last night, and I'm back on duty for 24 hours now.

5. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

Slow down or stop altogether until diagnosis has been confirmed.

When the primary chain guide breaks up, the chunks are generally much larger and it is NOT made of any sort of flexible material. Granted, the chain guide is a potential issue until replaced; but it may not be the source of your chunks and from the sound of things you have MUCH bigger issues to deal with.

You may be in a position where it is better to simply replace the motor based on the history you've given us. The parts needed for a COMPLETE top-end rebuild (pistons, rings, machine shop work, valve stem seals and possibly valve guides, gaskets, etc., etc.,) are cost-prohibitive compared to the reasonably ready availability of motors and "parts" bikes.

Don't worry so much about a potential chain guide issue right now; get a compression test and let's see if this is a lost cause or a diamond in the rough.

6. John Purcell

John Purcell Member

Alrighty. So, I do NOT have any issues with my chain guides, as far as I can tell. Am still delicately trying to remove the oil filter bolt, but I am close to taking a cutting wheel to it, as the bolt extractors did not work. I have pulled the head and the cylinders, and the guides are flexible and not crackling or chipping. There are no chunks missing that match the pieces I found in the sump, and as I previously stated, the bits are rubbery and lead me to think that someone got heavy-handed with the Gasket compound and it would up in the sump.
    image.jpg
    However, I can't risk such an assumption, so I'm going to do a complete tear down. I guess I should go ahead and replace the guides and chain and such, since I'm already inside.

Can someone give me an opinion on some pics I have attached of the camshaft bearing surfaces?
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    Is Seafoam my best option for cleaning my valves and cylinder head? They are super sooty from the PO running the bike without an airbox. I attached some photos of what I have gotten through so far, (and I was writing this post as you responded, BF).
    image.jpg

7. John Purcell

John Purcell Member

And FWIW after the fact Fitz, I ran compression before pulling any of the parts. Got (1-4) 150, 148, 148, 152.

8. rocs82650

rocs82650 Well-Known Member

Idk if it's the best option but it works real good. Soak the valves over night then hit them with a brass brush. Takes the old carbon right off.

Gary H.

9. John Purcell

John Purcell Member

Well, I know it has been a while since I have posted on here... but I was rear-ended in an accident in my 2008 Honda Element, and have spent the past month dealing with the medical and vehicular repercussions of that.

Finally getting back to the old girl and the engine rebuild. So, here's where I am.

Carbs have been torn down completely and cleaned 'zestfully'.
    Engine is torn down, I'm still in the process of thoroughly cleaning every bit and piece. Parts are all labelled and in dozens of ziplock baggies, waiting for cleaning.

Just emailed Len with a ginormous parts list for the carb, engine, and brake rebuilds, as well as new pug wire caps, plugs, and other such misc. accouterments.

Does anyone have any ideas on removing paint from the engine case and jugs? I will be repainting it, but the old paint is too rough and chipping/peeling, and there are probably two or three different coats of fizz-bomb paints, etc. from different owners. I know that there isn't a 'quick-fix' for stripping the paint, but I will not use any blast media, and I don't have anyone near me that can soda blast the parts. I was going to start out trying acetone and brushes, for lack of any better options currently.

Pictures to come soon-ish.

Comments and thoughts appreciated, as always!

10. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

11. Bigshankhank

Bigshankhank Active Member

Yup, KMoe speaks the truth, any Aircraft stripper will totally kick the paint's ass. Get it at any auto parts store. Wear protection when using it, hand eye and respiratory protection. Do it outside, also. Seriously, get this stuff on your skin and you will understand why wearing goggles and a dust mask are totally necessary. Get it in your eyes or mouth and you may be heading to the hospital. God I love that they still sell stuff this dangerous over the counter.

jmilliken and John Purcell like this.
  12. John Purcell

John Purcell Member

Haha! Thanks k-moe and Bigshankhank. I will give the Aircraft stripper a whirl.

I can't wait to get building on the engine.

I know it'll stir up a million different opinions, but what has anyone's experience been with paints? I don't personally love VHT high-temp paints, but I haven't sought out any alternatives yet, so if someone has a suggestion, I'd love to hear it.

13. Bigshankhank

Bigshankhank Active Member

Go to your local HD dealership, you can buy the same paint they use on their engines in a rattle can. Grey or black, tough stuff. Expensive, but it will last.

14. rocs82650

rocs82650 Well-Known Member

Caution: Make certain the primer, base and clear are compatible. Mixing manufacturing and types most likely will result in disaster. Len/Chacal also sells three stage set-ups with yamaha paint match. I haven't purchased any yet so idk what the cost would be. I know he sells it for the frame, engine, calipers, m/c, controls, final drive, wheels and plastics. Idk if he sells a fuel proof clear for the tank. Yes, they're rattle can, but because Len sells them i'm assuming they are decent for application on our bikes. Everything i have bought from him has hit its mark. Also might want to look at Eastwood.com, Rustoleum.com or similar site and do price comparison. Hope this help.

Gary H.

John Purcell likes this.
  15. xjyamaha

xjyamaha Member

Anybody have opinions on what stage to paint the engine? Mine is apart due to a full rebuild over the winter months, and I'd like to repaint it, but haven't seen too much about whether to paint the engine as a whole, or do the head, block and upper crankcase separately.

16. John Purcell

John Purcell Member

xjyamaha, it depends. I will be painting everything separately while it is apart. This requires a ton of detailed masking if you want to do it properly, unless you want to spend a god-forsaken number of hours cleaning the gasket and seal surfaces, IMO, but I'm pretty anal about that stuff. Others may chime in and tell you that it isn't so bad. I have repainted several car and vintage truck/suv engines. I by far prefer the results of painting the engine rather precisely while it is apart. If you aren't doing a ground-up rebuild, and you have only disassembled the head, I would consider painting the case as a whole, as seen here...
    http://www.xjbikes.com/forums/index...t-cafe-racer-project-in-pictures.43554/page-2

John P.

17. xjyamaha

xjyamaha Member

I've got the crankcases split, so I'll likely paint while it's disassembled. Thanks for he insight!

18. John Purcell

John Purcell Member

OHHHH MAN! I got off work at 7am this morning, and guess what was waiting for me?! A Big Beautiful, Heavy, Awesome box from Len @ XJ4Ever! Pictures to follow asap!!!!

xjyamaha likes this.
  19. John Purcell

John Purcell Member

As promised...
    That box was packed FULL of goodies!
    image.jpg

Last edited: Dec 11, 2014
    Kris Taylor likes this.
  20. John Purcell

John Purcell Member

Setting on my organizing bench, the contents of my package from Len - A beautifulfull gasket set, full oil seals set, full deluxe carb rebuild set (the float valves are SHWEET!), new vacuum line, fuel line, Stainless DOT Brake lines, and a swath of additional bolts, clamps, and washers to augment replacement of parts!
    IMG_0652.JPG

And, as an added bonus... I had time this afternoon to take the #1 piston out of soak and rinse it. My heart melts for clean engine parts... (#2 piston before disassembly and soak for comparison.)
    IMG_0650.JPG

ecologito likes this.