1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

The ultimate street and trail bike

Discussion in 'Other Motorcycles' started by trailblazer68, Aug 15, 2016.

1. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

They's just be a set of tapered rollers with a different OD. The ID of the headstock is known, the OD of the stem is known, bam...bearing ID and OD is known.
    Your method does work, but welding that tubing without distortion is a tricky job. I'm glad that it worked out. With due care, those will be the last set of headstock bearings you'll ever buy for the bike.

2. trailblazer68

trailblazer68 Member

That was the only way to really do it like that. How would i have found a set of tapered rollers that wouldve fit on the xs when it didnt have the cup for a tapered roller bearing race? It used flat top bearings with standard ball bearings between the flat races.

3. k-moe

My XJ750R also came with ball bearings. I've got rollers installed. The cups aren't an issue.

Roller bearings for the stock XS650 cups and stem. http://www.allballsracing.com/22-1015.html

If bearings do not exist that have an ID to match the wr200 stem, then a stem swap is pretty easy compared to welding the cups.

You took the route that you did, and there's nothing particularly wrong with that; it's just not the easiest way.

I can't wait to see the finished bike, and the video that I know you'll make :)

Last edited: Mar 5, 2017
  4. trailblazer68

trailblazer68 Member

Thats not the bearing style that was on my xs650 frame. Mine had loose ball bearings those ones you showed replace the loose ball bearing setup. To be honest i had never come across those and didnt know they existed. Sadly had i known that i likely wouldnt have had to replace anything but the bearings. The id was very close but when i saw the diffence between the 2 i didnt think id be able to get tapered bearings that would fit the factory xs bearing race cups.

5. k-moe

I know.

6. trailblazer68

trailblazer68 Member

Reworked frame support to fit around the mono shock reservoir finish welded and painted. I also tacked an extension to the factory kickstand so it will still be functional. Until the motor is in place its temporary so i can make sure itll sit properly

Attached Files:

7. steber

steber Active Member

looking good, You're making me wanna get down and work on mine. Been tied up with other things and now the weather turned south again in PA.

8. trailblazer68

trailblazer68 Member

No kidding from 75 down into the teens again. I was planning on having the xj up and running my rectifier took a shit so now im waiting on that to get it running again

9. trailblazer68

trailblazer68 Member

Well i dropped the motor in the frame just to see how she looked.... Im gonna die on this thing lol

Attached Files:

10. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

looks like your chain,frame,back sprocket, alignment might need tweaked

11. trailblazer68

trailblazer68 Member

Its only in there temporarily. I dont have any of the mounts hooked up its actually just strapped in place right now.

12. trailblazer68

trailblazer68 Member

Picked up a tank a rear fender and a pair of mufflers thsi weekend. Habe motor mounts coming. Once they show up i can do some final mock up and lay everything out then get to wiring

Attached Files:

13. k-moe

That tank looks small. How many gallons?

14. trailblazer68

trailblazer68 Member

Idk yet. I havent measured it. I picked it up from a local motorcycle salvage yard. I believe its an original xs tank though i dont know the year. It should be around 3 gallons as its almost the same size as my maxim xj tank

15. k-moe

Personally I would want at least 5 gallons on a dual-sport bike. If you're sold on that tank then look into geting a Rotopax or other container for carrying extra fuel.

16. trailblazer68

trailblazer68 Member

Eventually i may upgrade to a bigger tank but for the time being this is going to be more dirt oriented. At least for what im calling the trial period. If it survives with the mods ive done off road through mud holes hill climbs light jumps and rock gardens then ill feel more comfortable putting it on the road and riding more than 50mph on it. As much as i trust my work that safety factor is always in the back of my head the more i work on this. In fact i think im going to take some time and reinforce the lower mono shock dogbone mounts more before i ride it. Id rather be over built and strong than light weight and weak. The biggest thing is if i do upgrade tanks finding one that is gonna fit over the motor without limiting the turning radius or melting in the case of a plastic overlanding tank. When im off road im with other folks 90% of the time and the quads carry extra fuel. Mostly because they suck it up like a hungry sumo wrestler