1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

The XJ I owned

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by faffi, Jul 20, 2022.

1. faffi

faffi Active Member

Back in 1983, I bought a brand new XJ750 Seca. At least it was sold as an 83, but paint scheme suggest it was made in 81.

I only rode it 1200 miles before seiling it. By then I had two spills, one that almost cost me my right leg, when I hit a lamp post at 50+ mph, my right thigh taking the shunt, making a huge dent in the steel post in the process. That dent is still there today, nearly 40 years later

Cannot really blame the bike, although I did at the time. It was a cool morning with a hint of fog, and I went around this long bend with folded peg, exhaust and both stands scraping. Rear wheel let go, I closed the throttle (not correct, but a habit I had then and still unfortunately have), but instead of buying me time to straighten the bike a bit to brake hard and quick, then continue the corner at a reduced pace, the shaft drive torque reactions instantly pulled the rear wheel clear off the tarmac, and down we went.

So I blamed the shaft instead of me pushing too hard. And the shaft drive was the reason I picked it over the CB750F, something I regretted after the crash.

What else do I remember from the bike? Rear suspension getting rigid under full acceleration, suspension rather harsh at both end, strong engine vibrations, little power to be gained above 8k rpm, vague front brake feel, not enough cornering clearance, but also light steering and very flexible engine that would take full throttle from 1100rpm in fifth gear(!). Loved the looks, especially in red metallic, but the black paint on the cylinders bagan to flake off at the very first clean.

I guess my memories are still somewhat teinted by the two crashes...