1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Throttle shaft Seals...any tricks?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by paulv, Jan 5, 2006.

1. paulv

paulv New Member

I was just wondering, before I dive into them, if there are any tricks I should know about when changing my throttle shaft seals?

i know...I should get the xjcd, but I haven't got around to it yet. :evil:

2. jdrich48

jdrich48 Member

Just be careful with the small screws that hold the butterflies in if you plan on removing them ,they are easy to lose. They don't come in any rebuild kits, The quad ring mentioned in the xjcd is a QRO11. If you can't find them I have some I'll send you. Just email me with your name and address and I'll send a set out to you no charge.
    You don't have to remove the shafts to replace the seals. If you do you will need to apply some loctite to the screws when you reinstall them. You don't want one finding it's way into a cylinder.

3. paulv

paulv New Member

thanks for the info... You actually already sent me some. I just changed my username from the xjowners forum. I was iczer. Thanks again for the seals!

4. pianomangg

pianomangg New Member

Hi Paul,

Like Richard said, there really isn't much to it. I did it myself last year, and I'm certainly not a mechanical guru. I just got tired of problem after problem with my carbs and so ripped into them and replaced everything possible! There seems to be an unnecessary emphasis (at least on the XJ CD) about aligning the carbs after taking them off the rack, but there seems to be no way possible to mess it up... if you put the carbs back on the rack in the correct order, their mounting screws take care of the allignment.

Good luck,
    GG

5. paulv

paulv New Member

Yeah, all was well. The old seals were really bad. when I pulled the throttle shaft out of the first carb they pretty much crumbled into dust. My idle is much smoother now. Now all I need to do is buy a colortune and set my mixture... As far as aligning the carbs, the mounting screws really only allow them to go on one way, so that was no issue.

6. jdrich48

jdrich48 Member

Even though they line up basicialy in the same spot I would still think they would need to be re-sync'ed. Just to be sure they are all operating the same. I say this because I assume the holes in the mounting brackets allow some room around the screws, therefore they could be alittle off center from where they were when you removed them. Not sure that that small amount would make a difference or not. If it was mine i'd check the sync. again.
    Also if you pulled the shafts out, the butterflies have oblong holes too. And I'm sure that made a difference in the sync.
    From what you discribed it's a good thing you got new seals for it.

7. jdrich48

jdrich48 Member

Even though they line up basicialy in the same spot I would still think they would need to be re-sync'ed. Just to be sure they are all operating the same. I say this because I assume the holes in the mounting brackets allow some room around the screws, therefore they could be alittle off center from where they were when you removed them. Not sure that that small amount would make a difference or not. If it was mine i'd check the sync. again.
    Also if you pulled the shafts out, the butterflies have oblong holes too. And I'm sure that made a difference in the sync.
    From what you discribed it's a good thing you got new seals for it.

8. paulv

paulv New Member

yeah, I had to re-sync. there was no way to get to the seals without pulling the shafts out on my carbs. at least without defying the laws of solid matter.
    :)

9. BlueMaxim

BlueMaxim Active Member

The main concern with aligning the carbs is not the carbs in the rack but the butterflies in the venturi. When removing use a sharpie to number the butterflies relative to their carb and relative to their position. i.e. don't reverse or invert their position. Best way is to just number them at the top or bottom. That way all numbers go on top or under the shaft center line and all numbers will be seen assuring the same side is facing out.
    Before removing also measure their closed position space at the bottom or top of the venturi with a depth or feeler gauge. When you reinstall the butterflies they will move around on the shaft and if you don't get them back in the right and balanced position the result is carbs that cannot be synced. One will be slightly open wanting to run higher and one will be closed not able to match the other. This is known as static sync. Once the butterflies are in place check with a depth gauge and adjust. Then you can remove one screw at a time and apply locktite blue.