1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Time to consider mods... 1981 XJ550 Seca

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by 81550Seca, Apr 5, 2016.

1. 81550Seca

81550Seca Member

Hi guys, I've finally got my bike running reliably and I am ready to start considering mods. Very grateful for any experiences, tips, or ideas you might share.

Exhaust
    The first thing I'd like to do is change the mufflers. The PO chopped off the stock muffler right where they bent upward. They sound horrible. I have read, "I know that on the 4-2 you can use 02/before sporster mufflers."

Does anyone know the exact outlet diameter on the stock head pipes for an 81 XJ550 Seca?

Will these sportster pipes just bolt right onto the stock headers?

Handle Bars
    I would like to swap my bars with clubman bars. I am planning on upgrading my brake lines and clutch cable, so that'll be done at the same time. Will I need to do anything else for clubman bars to work on my bike? Risers?

Pegs
    With clubman bars will I need to relocate my foot pegs? Anyone have experience with this?

Saddle Bags
    I really like the hard cases. Any reasons why these wouldn't be practical on my bike? Considerations? I saw the post with the Ducati panniers on a 750. Love that idea.

Reupholstering Seat
    Are there any aftermarket seats that will fit this bike, or do I need to just have it custom reupholstered? What would be a fair price for a quality synthetic reupholstered seat?

2. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

see the thread in mods about emgo shorty
    Emgo Shorty Install
    read this http://www.xjbikes.com/forums/threads/xj-parts-catalog-section-k-steering-and-suspension.44635/
    wires, shorter clutch cable ,shorter throttle cable.
    how to shorten them
    http://www.motorcycleforum.com/showthread.php?t=102449
    no after market seats any more
    ebay 29.99 YAMAHA XJ550 SECA 1981-83 Custom Hand Made Motorcycle Seat Cover

http://www.diymotorcycleseat.com/

go to 110/90-19 front tire
    read this
    http://www.xjbikes.com/forums/threads/seca-550-owners-a-couple-of-quick-tips.36235/
    from above
    Run a 4.00-18 rear tire.

fork boots
    http://xjbikes.com/forums/threads/fork-boots-and-avons-and-real-brakes-oh-my-updated.16019/

Last edited: Apr 6, 2016
  3. 81550Seca

81550Seca Member

4. XJ550H

some bike shops do make custom length cables I do not know if chacal makes them worth the ask.
    moving foot pegs do you plan on moving brake and shifter?

mods get costly and would be hard to get that money back if you ever sell the bike.

look at the different mods done in this forum lots of good ideas if you really want to go that way

5. 81550Seca

81550Seca Member

Right. So, no to moving pegs. :)
    I installed the clubman bars to (upside down, hehe) and made everything work. Actually, quite comfortable that way, if not proper. The throttle cable is the biggest issue, but the clutch cable could be a few inches shorter too. Brake lines are fine, but still getting replaced. Got a 750 clutch cable on the way, so we'll see about that. I'm not sure what size to go for the throttle cable.

Yes to fork boots!

I put Kenda Challengers on. They're great so far, but I have nothing to compare them to.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 6, 2016
  6. Reed7742

Reed7742 Member

Regarding pegs, I threw some rear sets on this past weekend.

http://www.dimecitycycles.com/old-school-speed-universal-rearset-foot-controls-kit.html

I ended up using the passenger peg mounts. The big thing was that I had to machine a spacer to clear the recess in the stock mounts.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

I have a GSXR 750 front end on my 550 with clipons and this is pretty comfortable. I'm 6'2" and I rode it for 3 hours with no issues (other than my seat being a butt bruiser). As far as exhaust, I'm running a MAC 4-1 header and muffler. It sounds okay, but all of the packing in the muffler was removed by the p0 (bought it on ebay). If you can get away with stock airbox and exhaust, it'd be a lot easier. I'm still fine tuning my carbs with K&N pods and the 4-1 exhaust. I'm not saying that it can't be done, but it's tough.

Thanks!
    Hayden

7. lostboy

lostboy Well-Known Member

20150503_173121.jpg Yes to fork boots.

XJ550H likes this.
  8. 81550Seca

81550Seca Member

Those look good! Do you have a link to those? Or recall the size?

9. 81550Seca

81550Seca Member

Dude, I'm loving your bike. Very inspiring! I had to buy an airbox on ebay as the PO had torn it out. It was a tough decision with the box already out, and I prefer the open look... but figured I'd start by making sure it ran stock before any major mods. Happy, because the bike runs solid at this point. Also, prefer the look of the 4-1, but just ordered some mufflers to start with. I might do the 4-1 if I can find a great deal in the future.

The front end mod is rad. Just read your thread on the swap. Going to keep my eyes open around Seattle...

Did you chop the tail to fit that seat on or just remove the stock rear cowl and brake light? Where'd you get your seat? Pretty much please break down step-by-step everything you did because I want my bike to look like yours!!!!!! :) haha

Reed7742 likes this.
  10. lostboy

lostboy Well-Known Member

I just got lucky at a swap meet.

11. Reed7742

Reed7742 Member

I had to chop the rear end. I need to get a loop welded on to really finish it up. To be honest, I'd still be running with the stock airbox, but I had to pull it out for something and it broke. At this point I'm convinced that they actually built the frame around it. If you do decide to go with the pods, make sure that you get K&N. I'm not just trying to rep a brand name, but they are designed differently than other pods. Apparently this helps with the whole CV carb issues.

12. 81550Seca

81550Seca Member

Cool, thanks. Yeah, I remember getting that airbox in. That's a day I will never forget... That's good to know about the carbs, thanks! Did you upjet?

13. Reed7742

Reed7742 Member

Yes. I am running a stage 3 Dynojet with bigger mains. I can't for the life of me remember what size though. I need to put larger primaries in as well, but I've gotten it fairly close.

81550Seca likes this.
  14. XJ550H

81550Seca likes this.
  15. 81550Seca

81550Seca Member

It's inspiring to hear when pods are successfully tuned. I know I wouldn't currently have the time for removing the carbs (though with pods it wouldn't be such an annoying job) and swapping jets, but with the info from you trailblazers I see it on the horizon!

Ordered! Thanks

Reed7742 likes this.
  16. Reed7742

Reed7742 Member

Haha, I don't think that I quite qualify as "successfully tuned" yet. The jet kit got me really close though. It runs really well from 1/2-wot and closed to 1/4 throttle. I'm getting close though.

17. XJ550H

all you can do is move the flat spot around to where you can live with it. currently from closed to 1/4 and 1/2 to wot runs well , with flat spot from 1/4 to 1/2 throttle if I under stand you correctly.

you should do a post in the modified forum listing what changes from stock,pods exhaust and the jet kit you have used and any other thing you did to the carbs.
    have you considered playing with the air jets.
    did the a stage 3 Dynojet company advise you on what changes to make?
    this company helps with configuration and keeps a data base http://www.factorypro.com/

http://www.factorypro.com/tech_tuning_procedures/tuning_carbtune,CV,high_rpm_engines.html

Last edited: Apr 14, 2016
    k-moe likes this.
  18. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

^^ What he said ^^^ over half of the people who have posted here about tuning pods have used K&N. Proper airflow is a science, and that is doubly-important when using carbs that rely on airflow to control fuel metering.

19. Reed7742

Reed7742 Member

That's not a bad idea. Next time I have the carbs apart (probably here soon), I'll check my jets and get some numbers down. I think I can improve a lot by upping my primary jet by a single size and then I'll be able to fine tune it using the needles. I may even be able to richen it up a bit as it sits now because the needles are sitting at the lean end of the spectrum.

20. XJ550H

I think you mean the needles on the slides not shimable in the stock form I think after market ones can be shimmed unless you are talking different sizes