1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Time to hook it back up...Help?

Discussion in 'Reviews - Service, Online, Retail Shop' started by Cafe_Guy94, Apr 2, 2017.

1. Cafe_Guy94

Cafe_Guy94 Member

She
    Turns over!!! Finally Hahah! After 2 months of buying parts and working on her shes almost a running motorcycle.

2. Rooster53

Rooster53 Well-Known Member Premium Member

The second red wire at the solenoid terminal is probably a hookup for a battery tender. You only need the one there for the input to the main fuse.

At step 3 or did you get further and the start button is working? Whichever, you are making progress - a good thing.

3. Cafe_Guy94

Cafe_Guy94 Member

Thanks. I actually had to change a fuse to a little higher amp fuse and now its turning over with no problems. Next I gotta try to get a spark. Ive checked and I'm not getting any spark. So I'm not too sure what the problem is. But ive been trying to get it to turn over for over a month. Haha. So today is good. Just gotta get this sparking.

4. Cafe_Guy94

Cafe_Guy94 Member

5. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

to add to this clean and dielectric grease the run switch and starter button.

you want to test for voltage 12 volts at the red/white wire on the TCI unit.

the ignition fuse supplies voltage to the run/kill switch then proceeds to the starter circuit cut off relay (you should hear it click when key is turned on).
    The relay sends voltage to tci, coils and solinoid.
    so with key on check for 12 volts at red white wire at coils primary, tci, and solenoid.

then there is the sidestand switch clutch switch to be checked

remove the side stand relay this will bypass the side stand switch
    you can also unplug the black/white wire on the tci it will shut down the ignition it is part of the safety relays

Last edited: May 25, 2017
  6. Cafe_Guy94

Cafe_Guy94 Member

Okay so my battery is reading at 12.5 and I'm getting 10.3 volts at the tci, and both ignition coils and 10.3 also at the starter relay

7. XJ550H

is it turning over with the starter button?
    if not check the blue/yellow wire on the solinoid connector for continuity to ground when you press the button.
    if button is working do a voltage drop test on the battery.
    hook your meter to battery press starter button and what voltage do you get ? it needs to be 9.8 to 10 volts to fire the TCI for spark.
    if you have good voltage ohm out your pickup coils from the other plug in the tci should be orange wire gray wire and black wire and black white wire.
    test is done from orange to black and gray to black.

have you ohmed out your ignition coils and spark plug caps?

also check your spark plugs to make sure they are not fouled

8. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Which fuse?
    A 30 Amp main and 10 Amps for the other circuits is what you absolutely need to use in order to avoid electrical fires (using lower amp rated fuses is fine in a pinch, but larger is never OK).

If you needed more than a 30 Amp main, you have problems elsewhere that are causing excessive voltage drop.

9. XJ550H

switch the wires to an open slot for the fuse you bumped up and try the correct fuse in the new spot

10. Cafe_Guy94

Cafe_Guy94 Member

11. Cafe_Guy94

Cafe_Guy94 Member

Okay so there's obviously a bad short somewhere. Gotta find that. And also. Theres no spark when I push the start button but when I switch the kill switch back and forth there's a spark? Would that mean something is wired wrong?

12. XJ550H

it means you need to remove the control and clean the switches with electrical cleaner spray and dielectric grease
    also check for loose/broken solder joints in the kill switch.

or you are causing the coils to fire by turning the voltage to them on and off which is how a coil works

13. Cafe_Guy94

Cafe_Guy94 Member

Okay so I fixed the fuse issue. Now I have a 25 main and 10 for the other 3 including the ignition. But still no spark. Only when I switch the kill switch back and forth. But not when I turn the starter motor. I cleaned the entire switch real good. Took it completely apart and cleaned all the connections and still the same. No spark. Could this mean my cdi box is no good?

14. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Refresh my memory. Have you pulled the sidestand switch relay to rule that circuit out as the culprit?

15. XJ550H

try to bypas the kill switch to see if it is not working properly.

clicking power on and off to the coils will make them spark. this is what the tci does.
    could be a bad tci.

16. Cafe_Guy94

Cafe_Guy94 Member

Yes its been pulled since I bought the bike. The PO spliced the wires together.

17. Cafe_Guy94

Cafe_Guy94 Member

How do I bypass the kill switch? I was also thinking its the tci because it does give me a spark when I switch it back and forth.

18. XJ550H

use a jumper wire (aligator clip style) from output side of ignition fuse and on clip the other end a copper wire solid or paperclip slide it into the red/white wire on the tci connector. this will power up everything after the kill switch.

or unplug the connector to the right control put a jumper across the 2 red/white wires then you will have to jump the solinoid to spin starter.
    removing connector will disable starter button

you could just open the controler and look at the contacts it all dissassembles

19. Cafe_Guy94

Cafe_Guy94 Member

Thanks if I jump it and it sparks that means my tci is bad? I've opened the right control and cleaned all my contacts already. Ive made sure all the wires are okay. My battery was at full charge and still its not sparking. Only when I toggle the switch back and forth. Ill try both methods tomorrow and see if maybe its the button or maybe its the tci. But I'll be working on it tomorrow for sure.

20. XJ550H

no if you jump it then you get spark when trying to start it it means the kill switch is bad.