1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Tip : flooding carb

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by lostboy, Jun 10, 2013.

1. lostboy

lostboy Well-Known Member

A carb that floods is not always fault of the needle and seat. I just replace all four needles and seats and still had two carbs over fill. I found two things that caused this. When I was adjusting tang on the float with a small screw driver I put a bur on the edge of the tang. This would let the float to rise and get caught on the fine wire clip on the needle. A bit of sanding fixed this. The other thing I found is if the fine wire clip gets crossways on the tang (corner to corner) the same thing would happen. So I gently pinched the wire smaller to keep it from getting caught. This was all learned the hard way. I hope this helps others in setting float levels.

2. lanker

lanker Member

I've had the exact same thing happen! (talk about maddening). Great info lostboy.

3. irritateddave

irritateddave Member

I put a small piece of paper towel on the hinge and took a pair of hemostats from the hinge side and bent the tab without actually squeezing the hemostats. Worked good for me. Maybe a little unorthodox or maybe just dead wrong but had good control that way while bending the tab. Of course, I had to take floats off each time I adjusted it.

4. lostboy

lostboy Well-Known Member

Many hours in the garage eyes burning from gas fumes that’s what the tears were from.