1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

To the carbs!!

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Chorca, Jun 21, 2009.

1. Chorca

Chorca Member

Well, I woke up this morning and decided while I wait to see what can be done about my valves, I'd go ahead and pull the carbs because I need to see what kind of condition they're in. I'd seen some surface examples based on the float bowl drain screws, and I wasn't thinking happy thoughts when I started tearing into them.

Here's pictures of the carnage, a description, and questions:

[​IMG]

First a quick account of the total of what I see fastener-wise.

Every bowl drain screw stripped. Able to get 3 out with ez-outs.
    Every bowl mounting screw marred. Able to get all off with a screwdriver (luckily)
    Every hat screw marred.

Then I venture inside...

[​IMG]

Every jet is marred.

[​IMG]

(View the original size HERE to see every jet up close, and that they've all been marred.

Also, looking at the previous picture, it doesn't appear all the carbs were rebuilt at the same time..

But there's one more thing.. They had a little oopsie while whoever rebuilt it was working:

[​IMG]

NOW to the carbs' credit, they seem to be technically operational. The slides pass the clunk test (with loud clunk) the diaphragms do not have any holes and the bike always started instantly (like within 1 second) with no choke, even after being left sitting for a week.

My question is:

I know I need a new bowl, as the screw is rusted into place on one of the ones I have.. I need to either repair the broken tower or replace the carb..

But aside from that, it seems to be in general working order. What do you think? Should I try and get another rack to swap parts from, or just get a bowl and JB weld the tower? Whole new rack of carbs? Should I replace the jets?

At this point, considering the carb bowls are quite clean and the rest of the carbs seem to be, I'm thinking that they may not need that much cleaning after all.. at least the starter jet seems to be working. I'd rebuild the lower ends, redo the shaft seals and all the rubber, and then put it back together.. any ideas?

Oh, and the intake manifold has a snapped bolt (from the PO).

[​IMG]

All the ones I took out came out fine. They just decided to leave it in there when they put the intake manifolds back in.

2. RickCoMatic

RickCoMatic Well-Known Member

I found the broken-off part glued into the Manifold on a Bike I serviced some time ago.

You have your work cut-out for you.
    Good luck.

Rick

3. tennsouthernbelle

tennsouthernbelle Member

The little broken thingy for the floats... one of mine was like that too. If you're good you can clean that up, like surgical clean and a dab of JB weld. Make sure it's CLEAN. Make sure you put it together straight. It helps to put toothpicks or wire of some kind through the holes so you don't get JB weld in there.

4. RickCoMatic

RickCoMatic Well-Known Member

I'd put-out an A-P-B for a Parts Carb Body with a GOOD Float Hinge Pillar before I would attempt to repair it.

If the Float Hinge Pillar wasn't so vital, I wouldn't mention it.

It is worth the time and effort swapping-over all the goodies to a Carb Body that has the good Hinge Pillars.

5. MN-Maxims

MN-Maxims St. Paul Minnesota

Before you even think of trying to get that broken bolt out of the head. Contact your local engine machine shop and get an estimate how much it would cost to remove that bolt with a broken EZ out or drill bit...... or how much it would be if you were to leave it alone and bring the head in as it looks in the picture.

Some members have tryed and damaged their heads by drilling off center and breaking off drill bits and EZ outs. Its always the same story when they go that route and it costs too much.
    Save yourself the headache get a pro to do it.

MN

6. 85MaximXX

85MaximXX Member

there was a post on here where a member ground flat drilled and made a dowel that pressed back in then filed it to a workable shape for the float tower it was a quality lookin job that I am sure will hold up. Now to find it.

7. 85MaximXX

85MaximXX Member