1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Torque Specs

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by waldreps, May 3, 2016.

1. waldreps

waldreps Active Member

I need to confirm some torque specs for an 82 XJ650 Maxim. I have a Haynes and a factory service manual but I know there are misprints. They also have some weird names for things and I'm not sure what's what. I need the torque specs for the front axle pinch bolt, the upper and lower triple tree clamp bolts, and the hex bolts that hold the handlebars on. Some of the numbers printed seem too low. Just want to be sure.

Thanks,
    Stacy

2. waldreps

waldreps Active Member

The Haynes manual lists the torque for the front axle pinch bolt and the upper and lower triple tree clamp bolts as 14 ft-lbs. That just seems too low as the bolts just barely get snug with that setting. I know they were tighter than that when I loosened them. Does anybody have any confirmation of that number and also the proper torque for the handlebar clamps?

Thanks,
    Stacy

Markus Engström likes this.
  3. jayrodoh

jayrodoh YimYam Premium Member

14.5 ft-lbs is correct for all the bolts in question. If you have dirty/rusty threads you will get incorrect readings when tightening. Needs to be clean and dry (no oil unless specified)

Overall I think there is just a misconception to things needing to "feel tight" when putting things together. I recall as a teenager tightening the sh*t outta stuff until I got smarter. I've never had any issues following the manufacturers recommended torque. Yes, some things "feel" lose when assembling.

As for names:

Handle crown = Upper triple clamp
    Under bracket = Lower triple clamp
    Inner Tube = Upper fork tube
    Handle holder = Handlebar clamps

4. jayrodoh

jayrodoh YimYam Premium Member

Also, do you trust your torque wrench?

5. waldreps

waldreps Active Member

I have 3 torque wrenches, 2 that are ft-lbs and 1 new one that is in-lbs. I've tested them against each other so I would say they are accurate. Thanks for the torque number. I'll double check everything.

6. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Torque values is one of the areas where all of the printed values are correct across all the manuals.

7. waldreps

waldreps Active Member

That's good to know. Thanks.

8. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

if you ever doubt the torque spec check it against the generic torque specs.

9. chacal

chacal Moderator Moderator Supporting Vendor Premium Member

And, take note:

NOTE: the use of anti-seize compounds will result in a TORQUE-MULTIPLYING EFFECT……..the result of a reduction in fricition between the threaded contact points……and thus fasteners treated with anti-seize compound should have their torque values reduced by at least 10-15% when installed into steel material, and up to 25% into aluminum materials or other “soft” metals” (such as spark plugs into cylinder heads, or almost any other type of fastener into the engine) …… note that this rule applies only to service manual torque specifications on fasteners that are not indicated to be treated with anti-seize fluid by the factory …. if the factory manual specifies the use of an anti-seize coating, then the specified torque value for that fitting already takes into account the “reduced torque” necessary.

http://raskcycle.com/techtip/webdoc14.html

http://www.cncexpo.com/MetricBoltTorqueNm.aspx

http://www.bmwmotorcycletech.info/sparkplugs.htm

http://www.antiseize.com/pdf/torque_specifications.pdf

Lightcs1776 likes this.
  10. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

But only as a guideline. Those specs are fastener-dependent, not application dependent. It is quite possible to cause damage to components when using fastener-dependent torque values in some applications.

XJ550H likes this.