1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Touchy Starter Button?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by xjbodoss, Mar 31, 2006.

1. xjbodoss

xjbodoss New Member

Yeah I am looking for some help on my 83 x 750 maxim. The starter button has been very spartic. When I first get on to fire her up it will turn over fine, but after it starts, if it dies, the starter button will not turn it over again. Most of the time I have to bump start it. After I go a ride it seems to work fine. It mostly does it when it is cold. any ideas as to what it is? is there a solution? please advice.

2. Robert

Robert Active Member

Your experiencing the result of corrosion on your starter button. You will need to pull the handlebar cluster and open up the starter button (go on, it doesn't bite). Once open, you should take a piece of fine sand paper or Scotchbright to the metal disk inside and shine it up brightly. Do the same for the contact on the circuit board it touches. If it is all corroded, you may need to have it all sandblasted gently to recover it or replace the switch assembly. Reassemble and get on with the riding part. I have used Pasche's Air Eraser (miniature sandblaster) to recondition my internals with great sucess. It is advisable to coat the internals with some sort of encapsulant (omitting the contact points) to prevent future issues. Good luck and let us know how it all pans out!

3. NACHOMAN

NACHOMAN Member

After cleaning up the contact points as Robert suggests, dab some dielectric grease in there.
    It will keep the switch working like new for damn near forever.
    Dielectric grease can be purchased by the tube at most auto parts stores, and comes in most spark plug wire sets.

4. Robert

Robert Active Member

Great advise Nacho, I use the grease just about everywhere on my harness. Sorry I forgot to mention it, thanks buddy!