1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Trying to build a bobber out of my Xj550

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by Delano Hernandez, Jan 4, 2017.

1. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Too long of a screw being used, or a bit of hamfistedness.

2. Delano Hernandez

Delano Hernandez Member

OK so if that's the case I'll just keep the engine for another bobber project later down the road so I have it the way I really want it thanks for the help on that one wish I would joined before I order but you live and learn

3. Delano Hernandez

Delano Hernandez Member

I bought the bike like that $600 I had a choice of this or 1970 Harley Davidson

4. k-moe

In terms of required-effort, you chose wisely. The AMF years were not the best for quality control at HD.

5. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

[​IMG]

MattiThundrrr likes this.
  6. Delano Hernandez

Delano Hernandez Member

What kind of newer Yamaha is the best I went to a bike shop seen some cheap one from $9,000 to $4,899 I don't know what I should get

7. k-moe

Why are you wanting a newer bike now?
    What sort of riding are you going to do?
    My son's motorcycle is perfect, for HIM. It is entirely the opposite from perfect for me.

Have you been discouraged from building a custom bike? That was not our intent. No matter what you do you will have to learn about the machine and how to maintain it.
    Take a step back, and let's all have a discussion about what you want before we recommend anything.

8. Delano Hernandez

Delano Hernandez Member

I'm not discourage I just went to the bike shop to get spark plugs ,oil,and a oil filter ,the end up just looking at the bikes

9. Delano Hernandez

Delano Hernandez Member

I want something that will go on distances for a road trip to Texas but have enough speed to not be the last one while on a ride a bike ride with my friend's, something that doesn't make me look like a sissy ,more of a rugged look

10. k-moe

So you want a motorcycle then.

As for the rest of your criteria, what you have now will do all that. Stay away from forward controls, or bars that are really low or really high. Comfort is king when it comes to riding further than across town.

If you buy something newer, take care to think about luggage options, seat width (wider is better), and fuel capacity.

And honstly, if you're worried about looking like a sissy, then you're worring about all the wrong things.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2017
    steber likes this.
  11. Delano Hernandez

Delano Hernandez Member

Like a Honda goldwing is nice motorcycle but not the type you can pull up to a women my age without looking like I had stolen my grandfather's bike for a joyride

12. k-moe

That depends on how you ride it.

Learn this young Padawan; Many people struggle to think outside of the box, but what they don't realize until late in life is that there is no box.

No matter what though, buy something that is comfortable, and that you fall in love with. Picking a motorcycle is not much different from picking a partner.

13. Delano Hernandez

Delano Hernandez Member

If you see my picture I'm what you can say doesn't look like I would ride a bobber,a chopper, I would look like a crotch rocket person

14. steber

steber Active Member

Looks don't mean a damn. ride what you want man. Go big, go small, go comfortable, go you.

Delano Hernandez likes this.
  15. Delano Hernandez

Delano Hernandez Member

I see what you're saying that guys can ride the hell out of that bike taking them turns like no other, my main concern was what I should look for in a bike you said the comfort and handlebar length matters, how about the engine size is what I'm looking for information on,a 5 speed or 6 speed the cc's 500 to a 1100 it's just all so new to me riding mine feels great but I feel that it could have more power I like speed but also handling is a big thing for me

Last edited: Jan 11, 2017
  16. Maxim-X

Maxim-X Well-Known Member

After going through this post from start to finish again, I am confused as what you really want to do. First you wanted to build a bobber project and that the second bike would be a chopper. Then in a later post you want a strong powerful bike that you wouldn't look like a p**** on. Then you say you wouldn't look right on a bobber or a chopper and when you went for parts you saw some newer bikes and figure a sport bike or "crotch rocket" is more like the type of bike you should get.
    So, just thinking outside the box here are there any performance or racing schools near you? Find one and sign up for a course. They may provide bikes or use your own but you can hone you skills and find out what you can do. You can ask all kinds of questions here and you will get all kinds of answers, but until you know what you really want out of a bike then one of these courses may help you figure it out.

k-moe likes this.
  17. k-moe

Engine size really ins't much of an issue anymore. A cross-country trip can be made on anything from 250cc on-up. My personal sweet-spot is between 500cc and 1,000 cc. That's where I find the most comfort and ease of riding at highway speeds. You'll want a minimum of 50 horsepower if you plan on taking luggage or riding with a passenger for a full day (fun fact, the typical 900cc engine from 100 years ago made a whopping 9 horsepower). How many gears the bike has will be a function of what size the engine is and what sort of riding is expected. A sixth gear for the freeway is nice, but not needed for every bike.

As for needing more power, I can see why you feel that way but wonder if the problem is a bike that isn't yet 100% up to snuff. In good tune an XJ550 will go from zero to suspended license in about 8 seconds, and will reach manditory jail time in just over 13 seconds. In my opinion that's plenty of power for most (maybe all) street riding (speaking as a certified speed-freak).

At this point I think what you need is to ride what you have, and go try out bikes when dealers have demo-days (mostly in the summer). Find out hat you really like and want before you spend any money. It took me 20 years and too many dollars to find the best bike for me. What I'm attracted to, and what I actually enjoy riding, are very different machines.

18. Delano Hernandez

Delano Hernandez Member

I'm starting to get it now, do the regular maintenance on my bike do some of the little things to it that I wanted to and go from there then go to the dealer and try the bikes out, then figure out what I want I my second bike.

This is what you's were saying in the first place ,see now Im getting it it took awhile but I'm with you all now

19. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

Man, I'm jumping back in for a moment------if I did a ride like that, I'd take my xj700 maxim. I sure wouldn't be the last one at the back--I'd be way out with the. Front of the pack. I'd just drop to 3rd gear redline it, let that sucker wind out-----you'd never see me blow past you. She'd do that day in and day out .....all the way down, all the way back. Without missing a beat. 40k on the clock,and kickin' @$$. Will she beat out a crotch rocket? Nope....... But is she an old fart's bike? Nope. Is s he a little small? Well.....I'm 6'3" and with the front pegs perfectly fine. But near 50mpg, and all the most reliable fun in the world-------I'm happy. All my other XJ's.....same thing. Do I have faster bikes......sure---900rk. A bigger louder bike.....sure----vl1500lc. Fancy cruiser....sure---xvz13. Balls-to-the-walls bike.......sure---vmx12. What would I ride to Texas? My 700 airhead.

Peace out

Last edited: Jan 12, 2017
    k-moe and Maxim-X like this.
  20. Delano Hernandez

Delano Hernandez Member

What I am saying is I would like to know what would be a good bike to do what I want but I somewhat know how I'm going to figure out what bike I going to get next