1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Turn signal switch question w/ photo

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Jim Saunders, May 23, 2015.

1. Rooster53

Rooster53 Well-Known Member Premium Member

Shouldn't be an issue other than you now have to remember to turn the flashers off, which will likely happen so best to get a working unit to keep you safe. Plenty of cheap used assemblies available as noted by XJ550H on Ebay.

2. Jim Saunders

Jim Saunders New Member

I'll put it on the list, but it'll be second after a new headlight switch; the actual lever snapped off of the little translucent sector with the contacts... I can cobble up a bypass easily enough but I really don't want to pay 100+ for a new entire switch assembly if I can help it.

Jim

3. chacal

chacal Moderator Moderator Supporting Vendor Premium Member

No, it is a stand-alone device can be successfully removed from the system (as long as you don't miss the auto-cancelling feature).

4. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Leaving it unplugged is fine. If you are not planning on replacing it I suggest that you use RTV to make the canceler plug into a blocking off plug for the harness. That way the terminals will still be in good shape should you (or another owner) decide on enabling the self-canceling feature again. Trim the wires from the canceling unit to just below the plug body, fill the wire side of the plug with RTV and let it cure. Fill the terminal side with dielectric grease, and plug back into the socket for the canceling unit.

5. Jim Saunders

Jim Saunders New Member

Ok job done; the turn signals were repaired by getting the switch working mechanically and disconnecting a malfunctioning canceling unit. On the way the lever on the headlight switch broke off so I extracted the wires to the switch from that bundle and rigged up a simple toggle switch; that'll keep me until I can wrap my head around a $200 switch assembly. Thank you again for all the input, it helped a lot and made a mildly irritating job go much more easily.

Jim

6. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

wrap your head around a used, but in better condition, assembly from an auction site.