1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Turn Signals Not Flashing

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Dmhissem, Jul 15, 2015.

1. Dmhissem

Dmhissem New Member

Hey everyone. I'm rebuilding and customizing my 1982 Yamaha XJ750 Maxim and I have run into an issue with my turn signals not flashing. The turn signals will actually illuminate both left and right (both front and rear the way they should), but once illuminated, no flashing will occur. Any thoughts?

2. saftie

saftie Well-Known Member Premium Member

Flasher relay?
    Do you use LED? If so, they will not work with original relay.

3. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

The Maxim 750 signal circuits require that you use 27 watt bulbs in all positions on order for the signal relay to function correctly. Lower wattage bulbs require the use of an aftemarket relay, and an additional relay if you want to retain the self-canceling feature (I can likn the schematic if needed). It is possible that the self-canceling unit has failed, causing your problem. If you have 27 watt bulbs installed then you can unplug the self-canceling unit (rectangular black box, twice the length of a typical relay, located under the fuel tank along the main frame rail) to see if the signals work then.

DeanXJ750 likes this.
  4. Dmhissem

Dmhissem New Member

k-moe, thanks for the info. You may have picked up on the hint that I didn't intentionally leave in that my turn signal bulbs are likely NOT 27W bulbs anymore since installed some new ones during my customization. I have unplugged the self canceling unit, and the turn signal relay does still work. I picked up an aftermarket relay that some other members have mentioned and will give that a try tonight. I'll post some results soon. Thanks again for the help guys.

5. k-moe

You may wnat to look at this. http://xjbikes.com/forums/threads/how-to-convert-to-leds-and-still-have-everything-work.14068/

If you find that the self-canceling unit still works (you will need to swap in 27 W bulbs to find out) there is a schematic for a dual-relay setup that will allow you to use lower wattage bulbs and retain the self-canceling feature.

Also, I find that if I know that I modified something and am asking for help I am much more likely to continue to get help if I do not intentionally leave out that information.

6. EarMachine

EarMachine Member

I'm experiencing the same issue. Going to check the bulb wattage later today.
    k-moe you are so learned. Lol
    -EM

7. MnATIVE

MnATIVE New Member

Having the same issue here. I have lex bulbs and they won't flash. Also the front signals are attached to a 2 wire set up while the originals were only wired to one...

Any one know what I might do about the 2 to 1 issue?

Is there a relay out there I can easily swap to make leds work?

Any help would be fantastic!

Thanks xj's

8. EarMachine

EarMachine Member

What year and model do you have?
    The OEM flasher relay doesn't really work with led.
    Need more info!
    -EM

9. MnATIVE

MnATIVE New Member

Oh yeah durr....

83 xj650 maxim

10. cgutz

cgutz Well-Known Member

83 xj550 Maxim:right side turn signals light up but only flashed when engine revving. Replacing battery helped for a while, but today I checked the bulbs. Only 21w. Replaced with Sylvania 26.9w #1156 bulbs.

Flashes beautifully even when in accesory mode without the engine running.

11. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

k-moe posted a link for making led turn signals work. this one . http://xjbikes.com/forums/threads/how-to-convert-to-leds-and-still-have-everything-work.14068/

i think you end up adding a couple of resistors for the directionals
    you can replace the tail light and lic plate light with led bulbs no changes needed. also bulbs in cluster can be changed out too.

12. Jerrod Robinson

Jerrod Robinson Member

Hey, I'm having the exact issue with my 82. But I have all 27 watt bulbs. Strange thing, is if I pull all the bulbs out and reinsert them, the will flash for around 10 seconds, but then go solid again. Um super confused at this point.

13. XJ550H

clean bulb sockets a little dielectric grease on the bulbs.
    is the contact oint on bottom of bulb proad or dented in? dented in replace bulb.
    even a bulb that looks good and works for a few seconds can be bad. re[lace them.
    is this with bike running? if not battery could be low
    if running check the output voltage at battery.
    relay can be poped open and the tiny contacts cleaned.

make sure all connectors are clean from blinkers to relay .
    could be a loose wire in the control may need to be resoldered.

remove self canceller clean the connectors see if problem persists with canceler removed. if not reinstall canceler

k-moe likes this.
  14. Jerrod Robinson

Jerrod Robinson Member

Yeah, I'm taking some WD and a scratchy pad to the connection's as we speak.

15. k-moe

WD-40 is really only good for clearing moisture from electrical components. Use electrical contact cleaner.

16. Jerrod Robinson

Jerrod Robinson Member

Don't have any lol, but anyhow. Everything is clear. The genius I bought the bike from had painted several of the contacts blue. Cleaned them all, and now the Right side is blinking, and the left side just lights up solid like before. He also replaced the fuse panel, with a modern unit, but I traced everything back and it appears to be in order. I must be missing something here, I cleared all the corrosion from every connection leading up to the switch and relay.. this is discouraging.

17. XJ550H

could be wrong connector in headlight bucket

k-moe likes this.
  18. Jerrod Robinson

Jerrod Robinson Member

It was the blinker relay, put another on today and all is well.

k-moe likes this.
  19. Rooster53

Rooster53 Well-Known Member Premium Member

Stock Yamaha Relay replacement?

Were you testing with bike running?

Sometimes you have to go with what works, but likely there is still a bit of an issue on the left side that is limiting current just a bit. The logic behind that is that the Flasher Relay is common to both sides so if one side is working then the other side should too.

There would be a possibility that the tolerance stack-up for the bulbs and the Flasher Relay is part of the issue, and although the Flasher Relay would be designed to work within the tolerance values of the bulbs, it is no longer doing so and therefore solves the problem. The more likely scenario though is that either the 27W bulbs are weak, the socket connections are poor, or the switch and wiring are creating excessive drop so that the left side does not work.

20. Jerrod Robinson

Jerrod Robinson Member

Yes it was a stock relay, the dude I bought it from dropped of a bunch of spare parts he had, and one of them was a turn signal relay. Installed it, and turn signals are good now.

k-moe likes this.