1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Turn Signals

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by waldreps, Jun 23, 2015.

1. waldreps

waldreps Active Member

What would cause my turn signals to work if I hold the switch but they won't stay on if I let the switch go? I went for a ride earlier and they worked fine...even the self-canceling feature. Then I did a running carb sync and went for another ride and they didn't work anymore? I just cleaned them out at the end of last season with some electrical cleaner and they've been working great. This is on the bike in my signature....82 XJ650 Maxim.

2. Rooster53

Rooster53 Well-Known Member Premium Member

Try unplugging the Self Cancelling Unit and the turn signals should still function with the exception of no longer having the self cancelling feature.

Normally, the Self Cancelling Unit provides a signal to disable the Flasher Relay at power up or after counting a predetermined number of pulses from the reed switch in the speedometer. When you push the turn signal switch left or right, the momentary contacts in the turn signal switch reset the self cancelling assembly, which then enables the Flasher Relay.

3. waldreps

waldreps Active Member

Thanks. Where is the self-cancelling unit?

4. Rooster53

Not certain on the Maxim, but they are usually under the tank. Looks like this:

upload_2015-6-24_10-42-47.png

5. waldreps

waldreps Active Member

Ok, thank you. I'm going to try cleaning the switch again and then will try unplugging that switch.

6. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

use dielectric grease to lube switch lever and the slide.

7. waldreps

waldreps Active Member

I'll do that XJ550H. Thanks.

8. waldreps

waldreps Active Member

Cleaning the switch didn't help. I can't find the self-cancelling unit. I don't see anything that looks like the picture above. All I can see are relays. I can hear the relays clicking when I test the turn signals without the engine running. Can anybody tell me where the self-cancelling unit is on my bike? Does it sound like the self-cancelling unit has gone bad? I like the feature and would like for it to work.

9. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

It is right under the fuel tank, next to the ignition coils and beside the turn signal relay. It may be that someone already removed it, in which case you will find an empty socket.

10. waldreps

waldreps Active Member

No, it's got to be there because it worked fine yesterday earlier in the day and then quit working later in the day. I'll go look again. Are those things known to go bad? If not the self-cancelling unit, what would cause the turn signals to only stay on while I'm holding the switch over?

11. waldreps

waldreps Active Member

I found it and unplugged it. The turn signals stay on until I turn them off manually. I guess the self-cancelling unit is bad. I tried using electronic contact cleaner on both connections to no avail. As soon as I plug the unit back in, the turn signals stop. I guess I'll be doing things manually or looking for a replacement.

12. Rooster53

Plenty of them on Ebay, but it is a bit of pot luck as it is hard to find one that has been verified good. Not sure if Len (Chacal info@xj4ever.com) has any, but if he does I am sure it would be tested for functionality.

I consider it an important safety feature and worth the time and expense to repair.

13. waldreps

waldreps Active Member

I just got a response from Len. He has one for $39.95. That's not a bad deal. I saw some on eBay too for a little cheaper but who knows if they work or not. I trust Len. Thanks for all the help locating it. I guess I need to get my order ready. Let's see....what else do I want since I'm ordering.....lol.

14. Ribo

Ribo Prefectionist

Austin Texas USA ( a long way from the UK )
    I might have one you can have for postage. I'll check tonight.

15. waldreps

waldreps Active Member

Thanks Ribo but I've already placed my order with Len. The offer is very much appreciated though. That's very generous of you.

16. Ribo

Ribo Prefectionist

Austin Texas USA ( a long way from the UK )
    No worries - new is better than old anyway with these things so you will have peace of mind :)

17. waldreps

waldreps Active Member

Well, the one from Len is used as well. He does say it's in great shape and tested though so that's good.