1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Uk 1984 XJ900 tail light not working, brake light fine. Help please

Discussion in 'Other' started by mxlower, Mar 31, 2018.

1. mxlower

mxlower New Member

Hi all
    Just been given an xj900 1984. Not been run since 2005! Got the engine going and new brake lines fitted. Got a problem with the rear light. Brake light works fine but no back / tail light. Any suggestions greatfully received. Be warned I’m a beginner with bike electrics so please be gentle. bulbs checked and fine

2. Rooster53

Rooster53 Well-Known Member Premium Member

The tail light typically works off a separate contact in the ignition switch - either a L or L/R wire.

Do you have a "P" position on the ignition switch? If so try this to see if the tail light illuminates. If it does, then the wiring would be OK and likely an issue with the ignition switch or light switch. If you have the light switch try it both in "PO" and "ON" to see if the tail light will illuminate.

mxlower likes this.
  3. mxlower

mxlower New Member

Don’t have a p position on the ignition. Tail light doesn’t work in either side light or full on. I’ve got a multimeter coming tomorrow so I can properly test the power going to the actual lights.

4. mxlower

mxlower New Member

Found a broken wire from the light switch. Replaced and all working fine. Thanks for the advice

Rooster53 likes this.